Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have had my Renault Zoe 22kW now about 1.5 yrs and I'm wondering what sort of level of battery capacity loss I should expect. My range when full charge shows around 103-105km, but I acknowledge I drive the car quite hard. I've experimented driving one 'tank' load more slowly, but the range doesn't change substantially.

Reading about other Zoe drivers who get 130km + from one charge, I'm sondering whether the battery is in poor condition.

I'd like to hear from others with 1st generation Zoe's on their thoughts/experiences.

Thanks

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
17,835 Posts
Depends on how hot the battery has ever got - if you do a lot of motorway runs in the summer this can happen.

What's your total mileage on the car?

Have you tried using CanZE to see the battery SOH directly?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The mileage stands at 92000km. I do drive motorway regularly throughout the year - ie winter and throughout summer too. Ususally around 25km straight. I have got the CanZE app but the usb dongle which I've ordered hasn't arrived yet.

Is it recommended to drive slowly in hot weather to avoid battery overheat?

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
17,835 Posts
I wouldn’t worry if you’re not doing charging en route as well. The ZOE does a pretty good job of keeping temperatures under control.

Best way to find out is when you get the dongle. At this mileage I’d expect anywhere between 90-95% SOH.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Our 22kwh Zoe also showed <100km ranges but after a software update it is now between 130 and 150km.
So it might be worth to check that out.

·
Registered
503 Posts
The mileage stands at 92000km. I do drive motorway regularly throughout the year - ie winter and throughout summer too. Ususally around 25km straight. I have got the CanZE app but the usb dongle which I've ordered hasn't arrived yet.

Moin moin

Although not the ideal way to find out battery state of health, you can reset the guess-o-meter (motor off, open driver door, press brake and acceleration pedals simultaneously, press both side buttons on the right stalk simultaneously when the dash shows Trip A). This would wipe out the driving history* and would reset the estimation algorithm. If the battery is new, it should show 218km on R240, but if it's lower it means there's battery degradation, pretty much proportional I think.

And yes, if you go on the Autobahn at 140km/h in winter, you can't really get more than 110km of range. Summer you may push it to 130km. Driving on German B roads will increase the range considerably. Under 100km/h the car is very efficient, above 100km/h not much so.

I returned mine with 72.000 km, 4 years old, drove it like I stole it for the last year and battery state of health was 96% (you can use the app CanZE to see this, you need a specific OBD2 WiFi dongle though, or ask for the check results at your next yearly check). In December it would not do more than 110km, basically Frankfurt to Mainz and back.

*Please note that the Zoe, to calculate the range estimation, uses your last 400km of driving as a guide. So if you drove your last 400km on the motorway, it will consider that that's your driving style. If you drove your last 400km mostly in town, you can then not rely on the estimation if you want to have a long motorway journey.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks this is very helpful. I have been wondering how exactly the guessometer works. I enjoy the acceleration of the Zoe and am not so bothered about range usually because I am based near Mainz and am lucky to be able to charge for free always, so the economy isn't interesting.

However I want to avoid damaging the battery with my driving habits, and I notice that the GOM reading on full charge doesnt var much between summer and winter and is usually just over 100km.

I am too impatient to drive sedately for 400km to see the effect on the GOM!

I suspect it would increase substantially though.

Agree that the Bundesstrassen are the way to go if you have a long way to go and don't want to recharge too often.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I wouldn’t worry if you’re not doing charging en route as well. The ZOE does a pretty good job of keeping temperatures under control.

Best way to find out is when you get the dongle. At this mileage I’d expect anywhere between 90-95% SOH.

Update:

I now have the OBD adaptor and managed to conntect it up to CanZE app. According to the data, the battery SOH is at 78%. This seems rather low, considering the age and mileage. Should I get the nearest dealer to do their own diagnostic? Also, how do I obtain details of the current BMS version from the CanZE app?

·
Co-author of CanZE. Q210 nov 2013
4,469 Posts
Screen Firmware. Tap LBC. "Soft" should be on on 0854 or higher. If not, before anythign else really (it's a known issue) have the LBC updated by the dealer. Magic words to have a fair chance to get it for free are "My range seems very low and when charging it gets stuck on 99% in the dash for a crazy long time".

However, mine, same age, different driving pattern, slightly higher km's (around 115k km) is at 80%. Just sayin'

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ThanksAccording to the CanZE app, the LBC version is 0650. I've had the car 1.5yr and it hasn't had the update yet. I don't know when it was (if it was?) ever updated.

A trip to the local dealership looks in order.

·
Registered
Corsa-e Elite Nav 70 reg
645 Posts
I'm currently getting about 100 miles (160km) now that the weather has warmed up. My 2013 ZOE has done about 38,000 miles (~61,000km). I haven't checked SOH with CanZE for a while, but it was 98% about a year ago.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update:

Been to my local Renault dealership. According to them, the BMS doesn't usually need updating. It is quite a big job requiring the HV system to be earthed (needing a specialfly-trained and qualified mechanic). Estimated cost around EUR300. Has anypne else had this experience?
Would it be worth paying so much for this service?

·
Registered
507 Posts
It was free when we had it done, but the car was in warranty.Once you get your ODB2 dongle, you can use CanZE to see what your SOH is. I'm assuming your car is battery-leased, so if it's approaching 75% it should be due for replacement. They'll update the BMS for free then 👍

·
Co-author of CanZE. Q210 nov 2013
4,469 Posts
You didn't use the magic words it seems. For others reading this later: do not say "I think I need an update of my battery computer", because then that is what you will get. And pay for. I'd call CS. It is worth it, but 300 is steep. It's true they need to disconnect the HV network, which is a tedious procedure that takes time if done properly and safely.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You didn't use the magic words it seems. For others reading this later: do not say "I think I need an update of my battery computer", because then that is what you will get. And pay for. I'd call CS. It is worth it, but 300 is steep. It's true they need to disconnect the HV network, which is a tedious procedure that takes time if done properly and safely.
What is CS??

1 - 16 of 16 Posts