Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took the GTE to a place of interest today. They had four 7kW FREE 馃槼 charge connectors. Only three of which worked 馃檮.

At the the other side of the car park were 20 brand new 7kW connectors. Sadly they were鈥檛 free.

60p/kW 馃槼.

That means it would cost around 拢6 to to fully charge my Mk8. On the basis that petrol is around 拢9 a gallon and my car will do about 45mpg if the battery is completely depleted, it would be just as expensive to charge as it would be to run the engine.

Registered
Volkswagen Golf GTE
Public charging a PHEV is just about pointless, the charging rate it will accept is far too low to bother with. All you'll do is annoy the others with "proper" EVs, who have the capacity to charge more quickly.

Save the charging for home, and use petrol if you're going further than the range will allow.

Registered
Public charging a PHEV is just about pointless, the charging rate it will accept is far too low to bother with. All you'll do is annoy the others with "proper" EVs, who have the capacity to charge more quickly.

Save the charging for home, and use petrol if you're going further than the range will allow.
A free charge on a public 7kw with a phev is very useful.in that I can often refill my battery whilst I'm shopping.....unlike a full ev where a couple of hours on a 7kw is basically useless.

These 7kw posts are made for phevs I would say.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, at least they won't be hogged by those who have home charging, or who don't need the charge. I expect those free charge points will be gone soon!
I think the one of the four connectors that wasn鈥檛 working will not be repaired. I gather it hasn鈥檛 been working for at least a month.

I very rarely use public chargers. Like you imply I have an engine therefore I can always get home unlike an EV owner who might have a flat battery and can鈥檛 charge to until I move. I guess it鈥檚 a guilt thing.

Interestingly in the 18 months since I鈥檝e had my PHEV I鈥檝e tried to connect to a public charger five times, two of which weren鈥檛 working 馃槼! I鈥檓 not in a hurry to go all electric!

Registered
Would you mind mentioning which charging network it was that was offering those chargers?

Happy to not have seen such high cost chargers around here - around 36p is the maximum I've observed for 7kWh destination chargers.

I don't think the end of 'free' chargers is quite here yet, I've seen some new ones going in which are free to use, which is nice to see.

Registered
A free charge on a public 7kw with a phev is very useful.in that I can often refill my battery whilst I'm shopping.....unlike a full ev where a couple of hours on a 7kw is basically useless.

These 7kw posts are made for phevs I would say.
How is it useless in an EV? 7kW over two hours is ~14kWh of energy into a battery (ignoring charging losses). It doesn't matter what the overall capacity of the battery is, it will deliver the same amount of EV miles. In fact I imagine most EVs are more efficient than PHEVs, so you would get more....

I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
Took the GTE to a place of interest today. They had four 7kW FREE 馃槼 charge connectors. Only three of which worked 馃檮.

At the the other side of the car park were 20 brand new 7kW connectors. Sadly they were鈥檛 free.

60p/kW 馃槼.

That means it would cost around 拢6 to to fully charge my Mk8. On the basis that petrol is around 拢9 a gallon and my car will do about 45mpg if the battery is completely depleted, it would be just as expensive to charge as it would be to run the engine.
Current retail price for electricity is around 37p/kWh at the moment, plus the peak premium on top of that, it's only 30p/kWh due to capping.

EVs are currently no cheaper to run than 70-ish mpg cars. Everyone is in pain. I am shuddering about how further things can slip, I'm actually at the end of my rope on these things.

Registered
Many Tesco's offer free >7kw charging (quite often filled up with large battery BEV's for hours at a time) and my local hospital is still only 18p / kWh - 3.3kw charging, so ideal for a PHEV. I don't feel at all guilty charging on a 7kw charger as it can quite often mean a whole day of ICE free motoring - just as green as a BEV, who can more often than not make the complete return journey without charging.

Registered
EVs are currently no cheaper to run than 70-ish mpg cars. Everyone is in pain. I am shuddering about how further things can slip, I'm actually at the end of my rope on these things.
Anyone with an EV would be crazy not to be on Octopus Go. 4 hours of overnight power at 7.5p/kWh (or 5p if you signed up last year), so with a 7.4kW home charger, you can put in about 30kWh or about 120 miles for 拢2.22. I can fully charge the GTE from empty for about 32p
Unless you have lots of solar PV, of course, in which case you're laughing

I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
Anyone with an EV would be crazy not to be on Octopus Go. 4 hours of overnight power at 7.5p/kWh (or 5p if you signed up last year), so with a 7.4kW home charger, you can put in about 30kWh or about 120 miles for 拢2.22
Unless you have lots of solar PV, of course
I don't think that is currently available, and what if you are a night worker whose car is at work for those hours?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts