Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. Turned up bright and early to Peugeot dealer in S.Wales (Newport) this am for pre-arranged "extended range test" test drive of the e-208. Although salesman earlier in the week said he would ensure car was "fully charged", when he brought the car around to the front it had "just over half" battery remaining. So that was the first problem! (I am sure he had just forgotten to fully charge it). Was hoping to see a fully charged e-208 for once. "But it is still showing 68 miles range" he says "so you should be able to get over 100 miles on a run"...

Don't know how he figured that one but I explained I may just take it to an Instavolt 50kw charger just 3 miles down the road to get as much charge as possible as I had agreed a 3 hour test drive and half a "tank" was probably not going to get me very far..

"We have been told not to fast charge the car as it can apparently cause damage to the battery" was his reply. I explained if it is ALWAYS fast charged then that may happen over time but every once in a while would be ok, so that was my plan. It had never been fast charged before. He agreed as he knew I was an EV driver already. I had turned up in my i3 Rex.

White GT spec e-208.No glass roof. External temp 10 deg C Range from (9-11deg C). Dry weather conditions/overcast. Did not rain at all so no use of lights or wipers or demister.
68 mile range showing at start. Battery gauge needle around 5/8 full (in between 1/2 and 3/4 marks). 210 miles showing on Odometer so car quite new.
Driven in NORMAL mode with B-MODE activated. (All EVs should re-gen!! What is the point otherwise! I don't like the fact that this car does not re-gen AT ALL without B-mode activated.)

Urban drive to Instavolt, Bannantynes. NP20 2AJ. Sat nav may not be the best or up to date.Sent me down a dead end street and then finally an incorrect street although I could see "charging point" symbol on sat-nav display about 2 streets away! So found it eventually. Both charger bays empty. Range had increased to 74 miles on 3 mile journey there. Happy days! 213 miles on Odometer.

Plugged in 50kw CCS. 10.15am. Instavolt display showing 65% battery full status at start. Putting in at only 21.60 kW rate. On Peugeot dash display which is visible after opening and closing door as it disappears/goes blank after a few seconds, it does actually display battery % on the right hand side of driver's display, and that the car was taking on charge at the rate of between 88 to 96 miles and hour on left side of display. Average 93 miles/hour charge rate. So not that fast.

This was taking longer than I thought. 3 hour test drive and I had only travelled 3 miles and was now sat in the car waiting for a fuller battery. Decided to unplug at 10.45am. Charge rate on InstaVolt display showed charge rate of just 16.29kW at that point and battery was now at 81%. So in exactly 30 mins it had only taken on just 8.42kWh. (on a 50kw Fast CCS charger). So battery had gone from 65% to just 81% and GOM was now showing range of just 87 miles! (up from 74 miles). Cost to me £2.95.
Yes, I know re-charging when battery above 50%-60% full can be slow but this was much slower than I imagined. And I was trying to do a range test after all!
And yes, you can turn the car on and use heater, when charging, as I did just before unplugging. Not sure how long it lasts or if it times out but all the displays and heater come on etc.

Departed at 10.31am and headed north up the A449 to Ledbury. This is a nice fast clear dual carriageway A road with mostly 70mph limits. Heater set to 21 deg C. A/C not on. GOM had slowly clicked up to 93 miles.-urban driving.Until I got to the A449. I then settled in to a nice 65mph cruise. I could not get the CC to work at all so speed varied between 60-70mph. Some short 50mph speed restricted areas and up to 70-71 mph briefly but a fairly constant 65mph overall. No traffic/no hold ups. Turned off A449 on to M50 (so did not go to Ledbury) and eventually took Junction 2 off M50 (A417) and then made my way back south back to the dealership.(back down A449 to M4).

Now the nervousness stepped in! At this stage the GOM was saying a 55 mile range (just under the half way full mark) and my journey back to the dealership was 47 miles. What if this GOM is not accurate? Will I break down/run out of charge for the first time in my life?! Decided to turn the heater fully off but still kept to between 60-70 mph. Noticed that the GOM mileage drops in "chunks". For example it stayed at "49 miles" for ages, and then drop to "37 miles", for example, even though you can see the actual battery charge needle dropping, from half way point to 1/4 point. It does not drop gradually (ie from 49, to 48, to 47), even though I was driving very steadily at a fairly constant speed.

When I was approaching the bottom of the A449 as it joins the M4 I checked the efficiency. 3.4miles/kWh. It was at 3.4 mi/kWh on the way up the A449 also.
At this point the GOM was stating 12 mile range remaining,(65mph average speed/ I turned the heater back on at that stage!) but on the slow drive back to the dealership (urban driving) it had climbed to 19 miles. I had driven a total of 94 miles but as the test drive proper started from the Instavolt Charger then I had covered 91 miles and the car was showing 12-19 miles remaining (just below 1/8 of tank remaining, but not quite back in the "red"/almost empty zone.) So from 81% battery charge, I could have driven a total of about just 110 miles or abut 102 miles if I was still driving at 65mph. And remember for 50% of the journey I had turned the heater off to save energy, something I have NEVER needed to do in the i3 Rex.

So if the true battery of the e-208 is around 46kWh then the TOTAL RANGE on this type of journey/driving would still only be about 156 miles. So not bad. But then again not that good either with a advertised WLTP range of 211 miles. And of course this is taking it down to ZERO miles which in real life you will never intentionally do. So a real world 130-140 miles. Which is definitely not that impressive. Not that much better than my 33kWh i3 (without having to use the Rex).

I do not class at 10 deg C as "winter conditions" either. (-0.5 to 5 deg C in the UK, yes then that is cold and most defnitely affects EV range). I think 10 degC in the UK is in fact the average temperature for the whole year.

Will there be a massive improvement in the warmer summer months? I have a feeling you will do well to hit 200 miles in summer, with a probable real world 180 miles or so. Still a bit disappointing. But I am waiting and will be very happy to be proven wrong!

So after all of the above, I am still not sure about the range. In rain, darkness and de-mister and heater on, the range would have been a lot, lot worse.
There is still something not quite right about this car's indicated range or its indicated efficiency or both. It just does not add up.

But otherwise I still really like the car. Drives really well, it is a nice "cruiser" and it handles! Nice turn-in. It is a fun car to drive! Well equipped and not bad for the price.And discounts are available. Will a software update improve the range enough?? I know Audi and Jaguar have tweaked their software but I still think it only added about 15 miles of range. And we are wanting around 50 extra miles of range!

Will be nice to find out just how much battery is available in the e-208. Is it nearer 42kWh than 50kWh??! Is it buffered too much top and bottom? And don't you think the fast battery charge capability is way too slow? On my i3, the Instavolts tend to get up to 47kW and only drop in rate above 80-90% battery capacity. This e-208 may well charge far too slowly if you are on a long journey.

Will wait to hear from actual owners and compare results.

MM

·
Registered
365 Posts
Ok. Turned up bright and early to Peugeot dealer in S.Wales (Newport) this am for pre-arranged "extended range test" test drive of the e-208. Although salesman earlier in the week said he would ensure car was "fully charged", when he brought the car around to the front it had "just over half" battery remaining. So that was the first problem! (I am sure he had just forgotten to fully charge it). Was hoping to see a fully charged e-208 for once. "But it is still showing 68 miles range" he says "so you should be able to get over 100 miles on a run"...

Don't know how he figured that one but I explained I may just take it to an Instavolt 50kw charger just 3 miles down the road to get as much charge as possible as I had agreed a 3 hour test drive and half a "tank" was probably not going to get me very far..

"We have been told not to fast charge the car as it can apparently cause damage to the battery" was his reply. I explained if it is ALWAYS fast charged then that may happen over time but every once in a while would be ok, so that was my plan. It had never been fast charged before. He agreed as he knew I was an EV driver already. I had turned up in my i3 Rex.

White GT spec e-208.No glass roof. External temp 10 deg C Range from (9-11deg C). Dry weather conditions/overcast. Did not rain at all so no use of lights or wipers or demister.
68 mile range showing at start. Battery gauge needle around 5/8 full (in between 1/2 and 3/4 marks). 210 miles showing on Odometer so car quite new.
Driven in NORMAL mode with B-MODE activated. (All EVs should re-gen!! What is the point otherwise! I don't like the fact that this car does not re-gen AT ALL without B-mode activated.)

Urban drive to Instavolt, Bannantynes. NP20 2AJ. Sat nav may not be the best or up to date.Sent me down a dead end street and then finally an incorrect street although I could see "charging point" symbol on sat-nav display about 2 streets away! So found it eventually. Both charger bays empty. Range had increased to 74 miles on 3 mile journey there. Happy days! 213 miles on Odometer.

Plugged in 50kw CCS. 10.15am. Instavolt display showing 65% battery full status at start. Putting in at only 21.60 kW rate. On Peugeot dash display which is visible after opening and closing door as it disappears/goes blank after a few seconds, it does actually display battery % on the right hand side of driver's display, and that the car was taking on charge at the rate of between 88 to 96 miles and hour on left side of display. Average 93 miles/hour charge rate. So not that fast.

This was taking longer than I thought. 3 hour test drive and I had only travelled 3 miles and was now sat in the car waiting for a fuller battery. Decided to unplug at 10.45am. Charge rate on InstaVolt display showed charge rate of just 16.29kW at that point and battery was now at 81%. So in exactly 30 mins it had only taken on just 8.42kWh. (on a 50kw Fast CCS charger). So battery had gone from 65% to just 81% and GOM was now showing range of just 87 miles! (up from 74 miles). Cost to me £2.95.
Yes, I know re-charging when battery above 50%-60% full can be slow but this was much slower than I imagined. And I was trying to do a range test after all!
And yes, you can turn the car on and use heater, when charging, as I did just before unplugging. Not sure how long it lasts or if it times out but all the displays and heater come on etc.

Departed at 10.31am and headed north up the A449 to Ledbury. This is a nice fast clear dual carriageway A road with mostly 70mph limits. Heater set to 21 deg C. A/C not on. GOM had slowly clicked up to 93 miles.-urban driving.Until I got to the A449. I then settled in to a nice 65mph cruise. I could not get the CC to work at all so speed varied between 60-70mph. Some short 50mph speed restricted areas and up to 70-71 mph briefly but a fairly constant 65mph overall. No traffic/no hold ups. Turned off A449 on to M50 (so did not go to Ledbury) and eventually took Junction 2 off M50 (A417) and then made my way back south back to the dealership.(back down A449 to M4).

Now the nervousness stepped in! At this stage the GOM was saying a 55 mile range (just under the half way full mark) and my journey back to the dealership was 47 miles. What if this GOM is not accurate? Will I break down/run out of charge for the first time in my life?! Decided to turn the heater fully off but still kept to between 60-70 mph. Noticed that the GOM mileage drops in "chunks". For example it stayed at "49 miles" for ages, and then drop to "37 miles", for example, even though you can see the actual battery charge needle dropping, from half way point to 1/4 point. It does not drop gradually (ie from 49, to 48, to 47), even though I was driving very steadily at a fairly constant speed.

When I was approaching the bottom of the A449 as it joins the M4 I checked the efficiency. 3.4miles/kWh. It was at 3.4 mi/kWh on the way up the A449 also.
At this point the GOM was stating 12 mile range remaining,(65mph average speed/ I turned the heater back on at that stage!) but on the slow drive back to the dealership (urban driving) it had climbed to 19 miles. I had driven a total of 94 miles but as the test drive proper started from the Instavolt Charger then I had covered 91 miles and the car was showing 12-19 miles remaining (just below 1/8 of tank remaining, but not quite back in the "red"/almost empty zone.) So from 81% battery charge, I could have driven a total of about just 110 miles or abut 102 miles if I was still driving at 65mph. And remember for 50% of the journey I had turned the heater off to save energy, something I have NEVER needed to do in the i3 Rex.

So if the true battery of the e-208 is around 46kWh then the TOTAL RANGE on this type of journey/driving would still only be about 156 miles. So not bad. But then again not that good either with a advertised WLTP range of 211 miles. And of course this is taking it down to ZERO miles which in real life you will never intentionally do. So a real world 130-140 miles. Which is definitely not that impressive. Not that much better than my 33kWh i3 (without having to use the Rex).

I do not class at 10 deg C as "winter conditions" either. (-0.5 to 5 deg C in the UK, yes then that is cold and most defnitely affects EV range). I think 10 degC in the UK is in fact the average temperature for the whole year.

Will there be a massive improvement in the warmer summer months? I have a feeling you will do well to hit 200 miles in summer, with a probable real world 180 miles or so. Still a bit disappointing. But I am waiting and will be very happy to be proven wrong!

So after all of the above, I am still not sure about the range. In rain, darkness and de-mister and heater on, the range would have been a lot, lot worse.
There is still something not quite right about this car's indicated range or its indicated efficiency or both. It just does not add up.

But otherwise I still really like the car. Drives really well, it is a nice "cruiser" and it handles! Nice turn-in. It is a fun car to drive! Well equipped and not bad for the price.And discounts are available. Will a software update improve the range enough?? I know Audi and Jaguar have tweaked their software but I still think it only added about 15 miles of range. And we are wanting around 50 extra miles of range!

Will be nice to find out just how much battery is available in the e-208. Is it nearer 42kWh than 50kWh??! Is it buffered too much top and bottom? And don't you think the fast battery charge capability is way too slow? On my i3, the Instavolts tend to get up to 47kW and only drop in rate above 80-90% battery capacity. This e-208 may well charge far too slowly if you are on a long journey.

Will wait to hear from actual owners and compare results.

MM
Not so good, yes nice car, looks the part but shame about the range and economy. I am getting 4.1 miles per Kw (120 mile round trip to Cheltenham on Wednesday) in my bigger and heavier Kona. So those figures suggest that Peugeot have work to do on efficiency.

·
Registered
12,869 Posts
Thank you - a really good test with some solid numbers.

Certainly I find range drops quite a bit below 14 degrees.

There is a chance that they could release some of the battery buffer with a future software update. But that’s only likely to be 5%.

Did you work out what the usable battery capacity was? Probably need a straight 100%-5% run with no climate control on to gauge it properly.

·
Registered
8 Posts
There is a fellow on YouTube who drives 200km on the German autobahn with average speed around 108km/h
He starts at 100% and ends at 2% according to the app
Average consumption was 21.7kWh/100km
If my math is correct, it works out as
(21.7x2) / 0.98 = 44.3kWh
Temp was around 9 degrees. He was running the heater, but car was preheated before he took off. So available capacity is definitely close to 46kWh or even more

·
Registered
63 Posts
So if the true battery of the e-208 is around 46kWh then the TOTAL RANGE on this type of journey/driving would still only be about 156 miles. So not bad. But then again not that good either with a advertised WLTP range of 211 miles.
Nice review Marky, you've gone the extra mile for us (even if the car couldn't - just kidding!)
I've been wondering why there's such a different reaction between the Zoe bunch and the e-Corsa bunch to the reported mileages between the two cars.

One possible reason is that Renault have a range calculator (here) where you can see the impact of various factors on the car's range. Below, I've summarised the figures. Heating is ON and 16" wheels used.

Notice that already by 50mph and 15 centigrade, even Renault are only claiming 200 miles range, well short of the 245 WLTP for the Zoe. At 63mph and 5C that falls to 158 miles. If on your test, for argument's sake, you drove at a steady 63mph at 10C you would only get 160 miles in the Zoe, which is 66% of the WLTP range. Assuming the cars are similar (and we're not comparing the Batmobile with Fred Flintstone's car here!) that would be only 139 miles for the e-208 which starts from only 211 miles WLTP. That is really not far from either yours or Adrian's figures and can easily be explained by local factors (hills, etc.) not accounted for in the calculation's idealised numbers.

I don't think that software updates or running in the battery are going to change this much - the e-208 is advertised as a 211 mile WLTP car and it behaves just like one. The question is more "what mileage do I need from my electric car and can the e-208 manage it based on figures similar to the ones above". Peugeot would help themselves by copying Renault and creating a mileage calculator for their new car to help adjust expectations.

·
Registered
12,869 Posts
There is a fellow on YouTube who drives 200km on the German autobahn with average speed around 108km/h
He starts at 100% and ends at 2% according to the app
Average consumption was 21.7kWh/100km
If my math is correct, it works out as
(21.7x2) / 0.98 = 44.3kWh
Temp was around 9 degrees. He was running the heater, but car was preheated before he took off. So available capacity is definitely close to 46kWh or even more
Sounds similar to Bjorn’s tests.

Which is why you need to run the test without the heater on, as it can skew results and the consumption doesn’t always include it.

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
It's strange. Previously cars would do half NEDC at speed in winter. Now with the WLTP that's supposedly more accurate they're still only doing half.

·
Registered
90 Posts
This is really disappointing. I've got a full day test drive booked for next Tuesday and I'm determined to get some accurate figures about how much energy this car actually uses under normal driving conditions. My plan is to drive for around 3 hours and then charge up to full so that I can calculate the miles per kWh exactly. Then we will get a clearer picture of whether the discrepancy in range is caused by lower efficiency or lower available battery capacity.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This is really disappointing. I've got a full day test drive booked for next Tuesday and I'm determined to get some accurate figures about how much energy this car actually uses under normal driving conditions. My plan is to drive for around 3 hours and then charge up to full so that I can calculate the miles per kWh exactly. Then we will get a clearer picture of whether the discrepancy in range is caused by lower efficiency or lower available battery capacity.
Will be looking forward to this. Just hope they have it fully charged for you to begin with! And to be prepared to wait for it to fully charge again. Hopefully you get an 150kw Ultra charger but regardless it will seem to take well over an hour to charge as the charge rate drops off so much above 50% battery charge. Try to keep a record and hopefully Storm Dennis is over by then which it seems it will be. Good Luck. We're all counting on you. (Airplane! quote:ROFLMAO:)

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's strange. Previously cars would do half NEDC at speed in winter. Now with the WLTP that's supposedly more accurate they're still only doing half.
And that is my disappointment also. I thought the whole point of the WLTP measurements were to give buyers a much more "real world" economy/efficiency indicator so you had a much better idea of running costs. (whether ICE or EV) It looks almost farcical that they seem to be "absolutely best of conditions" results (eg- 25 degC, driving at 35mph, no heater or lights or wind and rain!??) measurements and not real world at all. Unless you live in Dubai!

When I got the 33kWh i3, BMW stated real world worst range was about 114 miles (even in winter). I still have the paper somewhere. So it has been reassuring to beat this figure for most of the year. (90-120 miles winter and 120-155 miles summer). So no hard feelings. Even with all my previous ICE cars I could always beat the overall combined figures quite easily. But these WLTP figures are almost unicorn targets.

Hyundai & Kia still do well and I don' think they are massively aerodynamic in comparison to most other cars. The Soul EV looks like the proverbial "brick" but still has great range and efficiency.(Bjorn's tests)

·
Registered
346 Posts
Ioniq 38 can hit close to or on WLTP. if you can live with slightly slower charging on, what are, mostly 50kw chargers it's still the Range King for normal driving, and definitely cheaper on PCH, probably PCP, even though the very best lease deals are now history. 👍

·
Registered
49 Posts
And that is my disappointment also. I thought the whole point of the WLTP measurements were to give buyers a much more "real world" economy/efficiency indicator so you had a much better idea of running costs. (whether ICE or EV) It looks almost farcical that they seem to be "absolutely best of conditions" results (eg- 25 degC, driving at 35mph, no heater or lights or wind and rain!??) measurements and not real world at all. Unless you live in Dubai!

When I got the 33kWh i3, BMW stated real world worst range was about 114 miles (even in winter). I still have the paper somewhere. So it has been reassuring to beat this figure for most of the year. (90-120 miles winter and 120-155 miles summer). So no hard feelings. Even with all my previous ICE cars I could always beat the overall combined figures quite easily. But these WLTP figures are almost unicorn targets.

Hyundai & Kia still do well and I don' think they are massively aerodynamic in comparison to most other cars. The Soul EV looks like the proverbial "brick" but still has great range and efficiency.(Bjorn's tests)
I hear what you say, but when we think about range we think about driving 60-70mph on a long trip. In reality if we only drive in towns at slow speeds we will probably get more than WLTP range. Town trips do not count for us, because we charge from home and we just think about the long trips when we think of range. Zoe has a conservative range calculator and other manufacturers need these to not to give the customers too high expectations with WLTP figures.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Just had 30min test drive with the e208 and enjoyed the car.. was showing avg 2.4mpkw and had competed 200miles since new.
Range after a full charge when I took the car was shown as 128 miles.
My Zoe is showing 3.7mpkw And with my driving and usage shows about 140 to 150 in winter. Must admit I was expecting more range with the e208 bigger battery.
But this assside she is a really nice car to drive and seems well put together.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Maybe the car is driven hard by the salesman who takes it home.. I did have a word with him about driving style lol
I think that is a big part of it tbh, these demo cars are doing mostly short trip and getting driven hard by a lot of people who have never driven an ev before.

·
Registered
321 Posts
This is really disappointing. I've got a full day test drive booked for next Tuesday and I'm determined to get some accurate figures about how much energy this car actually uses under normal driving conditions.
Are you going to phone them on Monday afternoon to ensure the car is plugged in and 100% charged on Tuesday am?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts