Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 159 Posts

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have the 208 on second day of my weekend test drive car is at 96% range currently showing at 136 miles . Be interesting to see how far I will get today

Will be driving on eco mode and will sit at max 65 mph on motorways .

Sadly I'm unable to send Google maps to drivers virtual cockpit.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
147 Posts
I did not try Eco mode when on my test drive. Well only for a few seconds. Don't tend to like such modes as they make the throttle response too laggy, so you end up pushing the throttle pedal more which is counterintuitive and reduces economy anyway but on this extended run, it will be interesting to see if you can go further.
Worryingly on my test drive it stated about 127 miles when battery charge at similar 97% full. Lets hope you get towards 180 miles or so....

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any guesses what I got today?

Car was charged to 97% by rapid charger so heat in the battery.

·
Registered
90 Posts
It really depends which direction you were going. Travelling North East on the A11 with a 40mph tail wind would have been ideal.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Well the results are in ......

So from my second day extended test drive .

I started off with 97% battery used rapid charger to help put some heat in the battery .

Reset the trip computer when I set off.

Drove from Belfast was heading south would go to 50ish battery and turn round .

Just to note I did not have the heating on untill last 10 mins as could not stick cold any more and drove the whole journey in eco mode.

If my first picture you can see my journey.

In second picture you can see what the dash was like when I set off.

Final picture you can see how far I achieved.

125 miles on full charge. I am shocked how poor this is and so glad I pushed to get weekend test-drive in car .

Just to note I was in B mode and eco mode did not go over 65mph spent most the time between 55 to 60mph at one stage looked like I was not going make it back so simply went slower.

This car is not for me no point changing from what I currently from with these results .

·
Registered
90 Posts
I suspect that wind had a significant impact on your range. What time did you set off?
It's possible that you were driving into a strong headwind on the way out but had more of a crosswind on the way back.

Also, how wet was it?
Displacing surface water uses a surprising amount of energy. Stormy weather represents the worst conditions for EV range.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Really really disappointing result. To be honest that is about the same as my i3 as on my trip from Wales to London, travelling with ACC at 67-68mph I can do about 80-110miles (and that is not using the Rex. Only the battery). Winter - Summer range. And cruising at a higher speed. And I still have a fair amount of battery capacity and Rex capacity remaining after my 186 mile journey. And that is with a 33kWh battery but only 27.6 kWh usable (or some similar number). This car has almost double the battery capacity. And is not much heavier.
Just does not add up.
And I can see from the display your average speed was just 29mph. Was it very windy?
Does it have some sort of massive battery reserve after you get a low battery warning?!
It goes to show that when the car was virtually full it was showing a range of 125-135 miles or so, in the various demo cars- Seemed to be true!
It could be that in summer warm weather it may really have a much better range?

Will have to have a think. In the way in which we will mostly use the car (commuting), this is still ok, and in urban driving I would hope an easy 160 mile + range. But this is still not brilliant for a 50kWh battery with a WLTP range of 211 miles.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm currently on my third electric car, no wind or rain is taking 90 miles of range from me from what the car is suppose to have.

That's way more range loss than my first leaf actually could achieve best conditions.

No excuses here. It's real world condition test not perfect sunny conditions.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Really really disappointing result. To be honest that is about the same as my i3 as on my trip from Wales to London, travelling with ACC at 67-68mph I can do about 80-110miles (and that is not using the Rex. Only the battery). Winter - Summer range. And cruising at a higher speed. And I still have a fair amount of battery capacity and Rex capacity remaining after my 186 mile journey. And that is with a 33kWh battery but only 27.6 kWh usable (or some similar number). This car has almost double the battery capacity. And is not much heavier.
Just does not add up.
And I can see from the display your average speed was just 29mph. Was it very windy?
Does it have some sort of massive battery reserve after you get a low battery warning?!
It goes to show that when the car was virtually full it was showing a range of 125-135 miles or so, in the various demo cars- Seemed to be true!
It could be that in summer warm weather it may really have a much better range?

Will have to have a think. In the way in which we will mostly use the car (commuting), this is still ok, and in urban driving I would hope an easy 160 mile + range. But this is still not brilliant for a 50kWh battery with a WLTP range of 211 miles.
It was windy, but that's no way to own a car.

It's windy today so I'll not bother going to work....

I would say my average speed in total was 50ish don't know why it's saying 29

·
Registered
19 Posts
Not sure if it was salesman BS but when I mentioned the low range figure to the salesman he said they were waiting for a software update to correct this.

I must admit the range is really concerning me. I wont be trading my leaf40 for this, no matter how good it looks

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
147 Posts
Thanks for your efforts Adrian. I will ask my local dealer again if I can take it out for an extended run. An "overnighter" was out of the question though, so will try and do it in a day. If not I may ask another dealer.
Were the tyres pressures way too low?? Were there 6 cement bags in the boot?!;) Just trying to see what could give such a low total range. What was the outside temperature? (not criticising your efforts!). Like you said strong winds (which would have only really affected you in 1 direction) should not have reduced the range to this extent on an "eco" run.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for your efforts Adrian. I will ask my local dealer again if I can take it out for an extended run. An "overnighter" was out of the question though, so will try and do it in a day. If not I may ask another dealer.
Were the tyres pressures way too low?? Were there 6 cement bags in the boot?!;) Just trying to see what could give such a low total range. What was the outside temperature? (not criticising your efforts!). Like you said strong winds (which would have only really affected you in 1 direction) should not have reduced the range to this extent on an "eco" run.
I was the only person in the car.

I have run the test twice once yesterday got slightly more.

What is it they say is sign or madness.

“The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results.”

I would not be buying any electric car unless you can get proper extended drive. Even 4 hours would be enough.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hmm this is concerning... Is it possible that you need to put a few thousand mile on the battery before it starts achieving a higher range like the dealer told me or is that just bs

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
Hmm this is concerning... Is it possible that you need to put a few thousand mile on the battery before it starts achieving a higher range like the dealer told me or is that just bs
Just BS.

·
Registered
147 Posts
It is true that Lithium Ion batteries like in your phones or cameras do need perhaps two or three full discharge/charge cycles before they start to hit their stride. But EV batteries are certainly not like ICE cars where you have to put on about 1000 miles before they start to loosen up. In my opinion an ICE car is only truly run in at around 14-15,000 miles- when economy, smoothness, power and torque all start to peak. As we know EVs do tend to get worse over time in that the batteries do not tend to hold as much charge/maximum charge, but this is only a few percentage points loss. Either way EVs do not tend to need "running in" and all demo cars seemed to have been charged and used a few times now. The e-208 demo at my dealer hs been continuously out wth potential customers since they have received it.

·
Registered
60 Posts
The relatively poor range being reported could potentially leave a lot of first time EV converts who've parted with their cash perhaps feeling a bit cheated. Their "200+" mile EV just isn't.
I wonder how much of this is down to the car's aerodynamics. It seems to be delivering similar range to that of a 33kW i3, a car designed from the ground up as an EV, rather than an ICE with an electric drive train.

The real world consumption of the e-208, the real world, actual price and lack of interior space is really making me feel vindicated in our decision to cancel my wife's pre-order last year. Put off by PUK's dire communications and goal post shifting, we nearly went for a Model 3, but the relatively cheap lease deals attracted us to have a look at the new Zoe.

Sitting in it sealed the deal. Better real world range, more space, and a bigger boot compared to that of the 208 and a real quality feel and far better performance compared to the old Zoe which we wouldn't have touched. Ever.

The new displays are in the Renault are at least as good as the Peugeot's in their clarity. The 3D cockpit and daft steering wheel that restricts their view are just an exercise in lilly gilding.

Again, the Zoe is designed as an EV from the ground up. I'm expecting range of close to or just on 200 miles in practice. Any more will be a bonus, but I don't expect the kind of disparity seen in the Peugeot so far.

1 - 20 of 159 Posts