Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

141 - 159 of 159 Posts

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #141
Yes, I made a similar comment up the thread. The problem with choosing an EV is the need to match the quoted "range" to your usage profile but getting lured in by a headline figure that needs 1/3 taken off it because your commute is 100% motorway then another 20% because it's winter then another 20% because the battery's old then another 20% because the manufacturer either lied or can't make an efficient battery system. We've ended up taking a safety factor of 4x on the WLTP vehicle range vs our normal commute before we felt comfortable.

Belfast to Dublin is 100+ miles, so on the same basis I'd need 400 miles of WLTP range to make that trip one way without stopping in winter, on the motorway, etc.

Adrian, writing this has made me curious - what were your expectations about using this car for your most frequently made journey? How far is it and how many recharges per trip were you hoping for before you drove the e-208?
I happen to come across the new e-208 while looking at new Zoe.
Charles Hurst motors in Belfast has huge site with lots of dealerships .

I simply walked around other brands after looking at the Zoe to see what they had.

Peugeot where insited this car would do quoted range.

Was nice car so thought I would call there bluff.

Here we are ...

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
386 Posts
How do you manage that? I thought it was only cold climate Zoes (Norway etc) that had battery heater to preheat the pack.
I just assumed that when you program the Comfort Timer it states that it preheats the car for 1h and it has to be plugged in and that it must be heating the battery as well as the car, as opposed from using the remote timer that just warms the cabin for 5 minutes and doesn't need plugging in, maybe I'm wrong :)

·
Registered
82 Posts
I happen to come across the new e-208 while looking at new Zoe.
Charles Hurst motors in Belfast has huge site with lots of dealerships .

I simply walked around other brands after looking at the Zoe to see what they had.

Peugeot where insited this car would do quoted range.

Was nice car so thought I would call there bluff.

Here we are ...

We didn't need to see a dealer - Peugeot official site claims 210 miles WLTP, that's 35 miles less than the Zoe on the same test.

The shortfall was enough that it meant the Peugeot didn't have enough safety factor on the range for our usage so we've gone for the Zoe. My gut feel is still that 120-130 miles in winter for the e-208 with a new battery and a claimed WLTP range of only 210 actually is fairly reasonable though and depending on how you want to use the car, may be enough.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Driven a 208 GT for a day now.
Overall I liked the way it drove. Certainly there was less road & wind noise than our Kona, probably similar to our Niro.
Amazingly pessimistic GOM. First full 7kW charge showed 116 miles. After a 49 mile run it showed 86 miles left in the battery.
I liked the display but prefer the HUD panel on the Kona. Wife thought it was too busy even on the basic setting.
Menu is not terribly intuitive… clock setting under profiles?
Dealer said it recognised speed limit signs but I doubt it. Went through two temporary speed limits and it missed all the signs so probably only gets info from map/nav unless there is a setting I have missed. Kona had no problem reading them on the way back.
Decided to stick with the e-Soul order instead. I'm not that tall at 6' 1" but just could not get the steering wheel position right. It either blocked part of the screen or forced my legs apart or was too close for my arms.

·
Registered
957 Posts
There is add for a Corsa on this page for me at moment. The Cosa is terrible looking inside. So cheap inside compare to the 208

Really? I looked at a e208 and a bit of me died inside! Was considering looking at a Corsa to replace the Leaf but your comment and the rest of the range comments on these cars has put me off.

Reading through this thread has just convinced me to hold onto our PHEV + Leaf combo, Although I'm actually really liking the comments on the range being realistic, I really hate how the leaf happily starts the day with at least 10 miles more than its capable of, saying that, I also miss the days of the leaf proudly lying about its 120 mile range...

To me it seems the electric future is still a Tesla only option, considering the price difference between these and a base spec model 3, I find it crazy that people are even considering the 62kwh leaf and these cars. Even completely ignoring the superchargers I seem to keep coming back with a tesla is the only viable option.

Was really hoping the e208 and the Corsa would be truly revolutionary!

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #148
Really? I looked at a e208 and a bit of me died inside! Was considering looking at a Corsa to replace the Leaf but your comment and the rest of the range comments on these cars has put me off.

Reading through this thread has just convinced me to hold onto our PHEV + Leaf combo, Although I'm actually really liking the comments on the range being realistic, I really hate how the leaf happily starts the day with at least 10 miles more than its capable of, saying that, I also miss the days of the leaf proudly lying about its 120 mile range...

To me it seems the electric future is still a Tesla only option, considering the price difference between these and a base spec model 3, I find it crazy that people are even considering the 62kwh leaf and these cars. Even completely ignoring the superchargers I seem to keep coming back with a tesla is the only viable option.

Was really hoping the e208 and the Corsa would be truly revolutionary!
E208 way better looking car inside compared to Corsa.

I trully get your point about Tesla.

But it got 170ish miles during my test when I hired one. But supercharger is huge point.

·
Registered
52 Posts

But it got 170ish miles during my test when I hired one. But supercharger is huge point.

My big issue with Tesla is no service centre in NI, I couldn't be arsed driving all the way to Dublin if i had a problem that required the car having to go in.
Are there any superchargers in NI ?
There are plenty of unhappy model 3 owners on UK forums, a few on this one in the Tesla section, and some trying to sell after only a few months so I dont see Tesla as the holy grail yet.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #151
My big issue with Tesla is no service centre in NI, I couldn't be arsed driving all the way to Dublin if i had a problem that required the car having to go in.
Are there any superchargers in NI ?
There are plenty of unhappy model 3 owners on UK forums, a few on this one in the Tesla section, and some trying to sell after only a few months so I dont see Tesla as the holy grail yet.
As we have not had government for a while up to recent the law in reselling electric needs changed.

You are unable to sell electric for any more than the cost. Why would any third parties come if there no chance to even break even never mind make profit.

There is number of destination chargers.

There suppose be superchargers comming to outside Lisburn but that's coming soon for long time .

As there is suppose be service centre. But nothing has arrived.

There is people on Autotrader trying sell there car but they want more than what the car cost new.

·
Registered
835 Posts
I just assumed that when you program the Comfort Timer it states that it preheats the car for 1h and it has to be plugged in and that it must be heating the battery as well as the car, as opposed from using the remote timer that just warms the cabin for 5 minutes and doesn't need plugging in, maybe I'm wrong :)
(Replying to @Sandy question about battery heating)..

All ZE40 Zoe have a battery heater, cold climate or not. It only works when the car is plugged in to charge and not when driving as far as I can see. When Zoe is set to charge on a timer, CanZE shows a power draw of up to 1kW (can vary between ~300w, ~600w and 1kW, which suggests two elements which can be combined or used individually), if the battery is less than around 8oC. Once the battery has reached that temperature, the car will go to sleep awaiting the charge time start. You can hear a low pitch fan noise at the back of the battery pack when this heater is running. During a pre-soak, you can see the same thing if the battery is below 8oC.

[I guess it may be possible that the cold climate models allow the heater to run when the car isn't charging?]

·
Registered
957 Posts

Thats the gripe I have with Tesla too, nearest service centre to me is a 120 mile round trip, I also happen to live within a mile of the only supercharger site in wales so its not like i can take advantage of the network unless i'm travelling into England. However it does mean if anything happens to my own charger I could use that easily.

I'm really hoping the Polestar 2 is a great car that meets or comes close to its range figures, assuming any garage with VIDA can work on them that is! However again its hard to compare cars knowing the supercharger network exists

compared to the 70-80 miles we are getting out of our 30kwh leaf 170 seems amazing!

Living in wales is also a big reason why the phev is useful, so few chargers, sure lots on the map but normally they are at guesthouses or just a 3pin plug on a post, not useful when travelling

More so on topic, the best thing for me about these cars, ie the corsa and 208 is that it should normalise the EV, it doesn't look different, if anything its the one you really want if your into that type of car.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I was almost sold on the e-208 until I drove the model 3. I’m having to take the Tesla over 4 years rather than 3 for the pug, but the driving experience and range is so much better.

·
Zoe Devotee
8,569 Posts
(Replying to @Sandy question about battery heating)..

All ZE40 Zoe have a battery heater, cold climate or not. It only works when the car is plugged in to charge and not when driving as far as I can see. When Zoe is set to charge on a timer, CanZE shows a power draw of up to 1kW (can vary between ~300w, ~600w and 1kW, which suggests two elements which can be combined or used individually), if the battery is less than around 8oC. Once the battery has reached that temperature, the car will go to sleep awaiting the charge time start. You can hear a low pitch fan noise at the back of the battery pack when this heater is running. During a pre-soak, you can see the same thing if the battery is below 8oC.

[I guess it may be possible that the cold climate models allow the heater to run when the car isn't charging?]

Its not really a preheat to warm the pack to ensure max range though is it.... its heater to ensure the pack doesn't get too cold, it might amount to a similar outcome if your charging the car following a preheat, but generally you schedule a preheat in the morning, once charging has finished. Be good if Renault could make the heater run when you've programmed in a charging stop so the pack was at peak temp for fast charging. Don't know why though the 50 is slower than the 210 when arriving at a charger. Perhaps doesn't heat a much because there is less load placed upon the pack when driving.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi all was chatting to a dealer closer to home the range on his test model was showing 125mile fully charged last week but today contacted me to say full charge now at 155 maybe it is taking a few thousand miles before the battery is working as it should.... Thought I would share regardless
Screenshot_20200218_174336.jpg

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Hi all was chatting to a dealer closer to home the range on his test model was showing 125mile fully charged last week but today contacted me to say full charge now at 155 maybe it is taking a few thousand miles before the battery is working as it should.... Thought I would share regardless
It's likely to be less about the battery 'being run in' and more about how the GOM reflects previous driving styles in it's estimation of total range.
As a test vehicle for a dealer, it's likely to be driven hard. Case in point, when I bought my Zoe ZE40, the GOM at 100% was indicating a range of 90miles. However, on the 65mile drive pack around the M25 the range indicated 75 when I got home. Once it got used to my 'gentler' driving style, it would start indicating ranges of 150+.

That said, this doesn't explain the real world ranges people are seeing with extensive test drives....

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #158
Hi all was chatting to a dealer closer to home the range on his test model was showing 125mile fully charged last week but today contacted me to say full charge now at 155 maybe it is taking a few thousand miles before the battery is working as it should.... Thought I would share regardless View attachment 127866
Did you actually get 155 miles out for it? appose to just etemated GOM range ?

·
Registered
13,896 Posts
Hi all was chatting to a dealer closer to home the range on his test model was showing 125mile fully charged last week but today contacted me to say full charge now at 155 maybe it is taking a few thousand miles before the battery is working as it should.... Thought I would share regardless View attachment 127866
So the dealer worked out how to reset the GOM?

141 - 159 of 159 Posts