Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car is currently 2 years and at 30k miles but on the basis of our experience so far I can't see any real advantage to buying a new one next year apart from the fact that we will have no warranty. We would be basically buying the same car but for a lot more money and with the drive-train covered anyway for 8 years the only thing to worry about is the rest of the car.

I am always suspicious of warranties sold as insurance policies and I notice the Tesla extended warranty is an insurance policy with Allianz, but it does appear to be "official" i.e. provided by Tesla so I am hoping it might provide a level of service better than I usually get from insurance companies.

Has anyone had personal experience of the Allianz extended warranty and how it compares to the OEM warranty provided with car from new? My guess is that anyone who does a lot of miles could easily have hit the 50k miles barrier and may have opted for the extended coverage.
  1. Is work still all done by Tesla?
  2. Do they still provide the same breakdown / recovery service via the helpline?
  3. How are they about paying or is it the usual insurance company tactics e.g. fight to avoid payment
If the Allianz warranty is decent I will probably sign up before my warranty expires for a few years and keep the car longer than originally planned.

4 years appears to be £3200, and 2 years £1600 at the current prices

I didn't find a dedicated thread on this, if there is one feel free to point me in the right direction.

Cheers!

Jolltax

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
My analysis when deciding not to take this was that it's a typical insurance-based warranty with exclusions and excesses; you would have the work done by Tesla but the insurance may or may not cover the whole cost. It seems there is no way to renew the recovery service (though I think Tesla will still talk to you on the phone for fault diagnosis etc, they just won't send a recovery vehicle; hence paying for an ordinary recovery service is all that's needed).

But I could be wrong...

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I've not seen any feedback but did pick up that in the small print it says you have to have the car serviced at the recommended intervals. If you are on finance that's generally the case anyway, but if you're not, and don't bother with the servicing then it's an extra cost to factor in.

Reactions: cah197 and gzoom

·
Banned
4,201 Posts
I've not seen any feedback but did pick up that in the small print it says you have to have the car serviced at the recommended intervals. If you are on finance that's generally the case anyway, but if you're not, and don't bother with the servicing then it's an extra cost to factor in.
I'm 100% Allianz would look at the service history for any big ticket claims, the 4 year service pack is £2,675 which your need to keep doing for 8 years, add on the £3200 for the Allianz that's £8,550 for essentially 4 years of warranty which I believe still has a fair number of exclusions.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, servicing is not an issue for me as I do that anyway, I am just curious whether it gives you the same kind of peace of mind that the OEM warranty and I thought peoples experiences might be able to help me understand that, although doesn't sound (so far) like many people reading this thread have had experience of it.

J

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
It's pretty clear from the terms & conditions that it's not as good as the OEM warranty (which is why I didn't go for it).

But it's hard to say just how much worse. I suspect very few people actually have that experience - the first UK deliveries (June 2014) have only just run off the standard warranty, (though there will be more having exceeded the mileage limit), and of those they've not only had to have opted for the Allianz package, but to then have had a claim situation.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Much the same here, when I rolled up the cost of the warranty and the service on top I decided not to bother, and will stick it into the bank/shares/isa/spend it on... overall it is quite and expensive insurance with mileage limitations it become even less appealing.

I am however at 48,500 miles and about to book into the services center with a small list of items I would like rectified or noted, to ensure should they crop up as issues, I will consider them faults the pre dated the warranty expiry.

Now any tips for shares I hear Tesla is looking up?

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
1000 miles to go and scheduled a visit to the service centre to sort out the minor inconveniences which I would prefer to not become out of warranty issues.

Have a smallish list of 6 items which just became 7 as my drivers door handle just gave up the ghost, so I figure that car being as it is autonomous, thought it might save me the bother of being out of warranty and would just break it now.

This is a minor invenience at the moment as on hols in Cornwall and generally always someone else in the car to pop it open from the inside. If it were my normal run of the mill week it would be a pain.

However not as much of a pain as the Renault Zoe park straddling across the 2 charging spaces at the rapid in Bodmin earlier today with the AC cable plugged in with no charging and no way for me to park to either side (tight spot) to get to the Chademo... I left a polite note and also took a photo to send to CPS, Charge Point Services, not Crown Prosecution Services! Although if I could have got them written a ticket I would have gladly done so.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.