Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if this is common knowledge or not but I've never seen any mention of it.
The second year warranty cost is £339 up from the first year of £289.

I have just renewed the extended warranty as last year I was able to get more out it than I put in so it seems like a good enough deal.
The cost for the second year isn't the same as the first which is kind of to be expected as the car is a year older and has a chance of more going wrong.

I did call them to see if this increase was due to the claims I had against them but was told it is normal you don't suffer from claiming and there are price breaks in years. I was told that the first five years of the cars life is one price then the next four have a price increase (£339) and that should be the same and then it goes up again after that for the last year (not sure what that is, forgot to ask). I thought it was odd to start counting from the beginning of the cars life instead of the warranty period but thinking about it now if the manufactures warranty period changes up or down they don't have to change their policy.
Hopefully this will mean that for the next four years it will still cost £339 a year and although it's a decent chunk of change I am well aware that if anything electrical goes wrong that will seem like a pittance to the repair bill, so for now I will keep paying them the money over the 0% interest 10 month period.

On a similar note I've also found a way to get money out of the warranty company for working on my own car. This isn't going to be possible for many but it does exploit their contract clause and I am more than happy to stick it to them.
The warranty doesn't state that you must always take it to a Renault dealer, just that you can take it to a dealer or a VAT registered repair company. I wouldn't attempt to repair any of the electrics but when the lower front ball joint failed that is something I can do easily enough. As luck would have it I have my own company that is VAT registered and I've been working on my own cars for 30 years so I gave it a shot, called them up and they agreed that it all checked out so I can claim for the work.
Even buying the part from Renault at more than twice the price I could have bought it for I was still able to charge them labour to work on my own car and claim the full cost of the part that I'd bought from Renault.
The car has an official Renault part so there is no worrying about quality or warranty and after getting a bit annoyed about the way they put the front suspension together it was fixed without much swearing and as a bonus it now has much better rust protection on many of the parts I touched.
Yes, I could have taken it to Renault and it would have all been done but just the faff of arranging a time with them annoys me and the service manager is a dick so I'd rather not go there if I have a choice. An hours labour later, an invoice posted off (they don't do emails for the first time) and they've paid my totally made up but still less than Renault hourly rate of £90 (inc VAT).:cool:

If you happen to have or know anyone that has their own company it might be worth looking in to as there is nothing sweeter than getting paid to work on your own car.

I've now just found the front shock protection gaiters are both split, one is in half. The car has done 55k so that isn't so bad, I just need to call them to see if that is under warranty as it's a simple but much longer job. Here's hoping.
In the best contractor voice SHOW ME THE MONEY! :p

·
Registered
Corsa-e Elite Nav 70 reg
637 Posts
I'm on my 3rd year of extended warranty, and it's still £339, so it doesn't go up each year.

·
Speak, Eevee!
1,338 Posts
Yeah to be fair I've heard of suspension components being replaced under the extended warranty as long as it's within some reasonable mileage (who knows what that mileage is) which helps keep it decent value. I imagine at main dealer prices for parts and labour - no offence intended to the dealers - a year would pay for itself if something like a ball joint goes.

Of course, it also depends how good the specific dealer is with making those warranty claims - sometimes hear of the Arnold Clark ones just giving a flat out "that's not covered" for example.

·
Zoe Devotee
9,197 Posts
Yup £289 first year then £339 for second year.... I'm getting off this boat before year 3 is due.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts