Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if it’s possible to replace the tethered 5m cable in the OHME Wall Charger with a longer one? I’m not sure if it’s a sealed unit and not accessible?

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Does anyone know if it’s possible to replace the tethered 5m cable in the OHME Wall Charger with a longer one? I’m not sure if it’s a sealed unit and not accessible?
It's a sealed unit but it can be opened if you are willing to invalidate the warranty. To be frank I'd suggest looking at moving the unit closer to the car rather than lengthening the cable.

Watch the start of @mikeselectricstuff teardown.

Ohme smart charging cable tests and teardown

Reactions: GM7

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks that’s perfect. I’m just thinking about future proofing and if a new car has a charging port in a different position. Warranty would be expired by then anyway so sounds good. Thanks for the link to the video - helped a lot to see it opened up 👍🏻

·
Registered
218 Posts
You could get a commando socket Ohme, and Waterpoof 5m 32A continuous commando extension leads are readily available.

·
Registered
218 Posts
A minor issue with that is that the Ohme's protection only protects the output cable, so you'd need an RCD on the feed to the commando socket.
Yeah sparky looking to put a matt-e device with a RCD on the feed (obvioulsy). Not too expensive and cheaper than a OLEV install actually for cable via octopus deal + protection + matt e device. He said as safe as I can make it given I also want to use the commando for jet washing with heat!

·
Registered
19 Posts
My problem is that I've got a PodPoint with tethered cable. Is there a solution to join the OHME to the tethered cable?

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
My problem is that I've got a PodPoint with tethered cable. Is there a solution to join the OHME to the tethered cable?
No, you cannot officially join cables although there are devices that do just that.

The logical thing to do is to remove the PodPoint and replace it with an interlocked 32Amp socket. Clearly if your PodPoint has been fitted with the benefit of an OLEV grant in the last 6 months you'd follow your duty to inform them. You would also need to check the Earth arrangements and your Sparky would need to inform the relevant certificating organisation.

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Yeah sparky looking to put a matt-e device with a RCD on the feed (obvioulsy). Not too expensive and cheaper than a OLEV install actually for cable via octopus deal + protection + matt e device. He said as safe as I can make it given I also want to use the commando for jet washing with heat!

Just be aware that devices such as the Matt:e do not provide protection under all circumstances, and that in some conditions an Earth rod will be safer. I am sure that your Sparky will have advised you of this. :unsure:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts