Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I was just wondering if anyone knows if there are any settings in the leaf that restricts the charge and only makes the range go to 80 odd miles rather than 100 odd miles. I have been told there is and it is a feature there to protect the battery??

If anyone could help me on this it would be great

Thanks Scott

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
There is but Nissan has removed it from US Leafs so I guess from that that charging to 100% isn't a problem for the battery so I always charge to 100% now.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply..Great.. Do you know is there a way to change it. As when i am charging to 100% the range is only giving me 83-85 miles ?

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Hi Scott, and welcome to the forum.

As Paul says, if your car is not a latest American model then it's easily found via the Menu - Settings.
Here is a video that may help.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
A couple of things there...

Firstly, when you say it is only "only giving me 83-85 miles" do you mean on the dashboard? That is only ever an estimate and not to be relied upon. In fact, it is generally called the "guess-o-meter" because it is nothing more than a guess and even then a bad one at that. You will nearly always get less than that and often a lot less.

The Leaf has a real range of about 80-100 miles in most circumstances so that 83-85 sounds about right for a full 100% charge.

Secondly then... if you are getting all 12 bars lit then you are already charging to 100%. If you were charging to 80% then only 10 bars would be lit.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Thanks for the reply..Great.. Do you know is there a way to change it. As when i am charging to 100% the range is only giving me 83-85 miles ?
The GOM range given is an estimate of your previous driving style, so if you were previously driving fast etc then it's reporting what you may get again with that same style of driving. With a Gen 2 model use the dash % remaining meter, this tends to be more accurate to about 1 mile for 1%, but it's all down to your style of driving.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Argh right ok... I have the UK Gen 2 model. But i wasnt aware how the GOM meter worked... This is alot of help guys thanks... I might be firing a few questions your way.

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Argh right ok... I have the UK Gen 2 model. But i wasnt aware how the GOM meter worked... This is alot of help guys thanks... I might be firing a few questions your way.
It takes some getting used to. I find the fact we have two numbers on the "gauge" amusing, 1 and 0, very "digital". ;) :D

You can set the newer LEAFs to charge to 80% (we have one) it's buried in the menu somewhere, but honestly I can't recall where it is. I tend to find it when "just playing", waiting outside a shop, office or something like that. :D

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
It takes some getting used to. I find the fact we have two numbers on the "gauge" amusing, 1 and 0, very "digital". ;) :D

You can set the newer LEAFs to charge to 80% (we have one) it's buried in the menu somewhere, but honestly I can't recall where it is. I tend to find it when "just playing", waiting outside a shop, office or something like that. :D
LoL @Paul Watch the video above. It's on the first page of the Settings.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Sorry, I should have explained more about the GOM... it is useful to give you an idea of whether your range is increasing or decreasing as a result of your most recent driving style, hills etc but it isn't accurate for telling how far you will actually go.

I use it all the time though... I have my destination on the satnav which gives me the distance I have still to go and I always drive slowly enough to keep the more range on the GOM than I have on the satnav. Be careful though because if you keep those numbers close together then you will have little reserve should you encounter an unexpected hill... it is very useful if you know the route though because it means you can drive at a speed that should always get you to your destination.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Yeah I have the 14 model. and I heard some rumours of it.. But when i checked the trip computer it says 'charge time to 100%' So the confusion is from the GOM meter. But ill get used to it ha.

Thanks for all the help guys

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Ah, didn't see the link! :) I guess I don't usually see it because I'm not usually looking for it. :)

If you just put the YouTube URL it'll pop it directly in the video (edited your post to do this). :D

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
@Scott McConnaughie you'll get used to the way it works. I generally display my average consumption/economy on the small screen and use the "GOM" for a rough guide only. When I take on longer journeys I switch the main display to battery % so I have a better idea.

My LEAF usually has around 70-85 as the total range quoted by the GOM because of how I drive locally, but if I head out on a long journey I want to know the percent, and I know I can get about 90 (+) from a full charge on those longer treks. The GOM, as @Paul_Churchley says, is always playing catch up so can never been seen as a true future projection, just a "guide".

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sorry, I should have explained more about the GOM... it is useful to give you an idea of whether your range is increasing or decreasing as a result of your most recent driving style, hills etc but it isn't accurate for telling how far you will actually go.

I use it all the time though... I have my destination on the satnav which gives me the distance I have still to go and I always drive slowly enough to keep the more range on the GOM than I have on the satnav. Be careful though because if you keep those numbers close together then you will have little reserve should you encounter an unexpected hill... it is very useful if you know the route though because it means you can drive at a speed that should always get you to your destination.

Thanks Paul.. Still getting used to it but its an awesome car!!

·
Super Moderator
7,452 Posts
There's definitely a lot to learn in the first few days and weeks, keep on firing those questions!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts