Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I've been emailed by VW to tell me that my manufacturers warranty is due to expire next month (car will be 3 years old). Has anyone extended theirs? and if so how much wast it?

I've had some expensive repairs done to mine lately which took a fortnight to fix.

• New charge point actuator
  • Replacement air con expansion unit after the air con stopped working
  • Battery seals renewed (recall)
I just wondered if it was worth renewing? My finance plan includes servicing so that has saved me a few quid over the past two years.

Has anyone got any thoughts or experiences?

Regards,

Peter

·
Registered
267 Posts
I got the five year warranty with my car when I brought it and I’ve just signed up to another year for circa £450. I love my GTE but wouldn’t dream of running it without a full warranty.
Over the five years I have also had some expensive repairs done, some GTE some normal Golf and they were more than £450!! Money well spent me thinks.

·
Registered
425 Posts
My charging port cost ~£700 to get repaired.
Echo that, and Oilymo's comment.
I took out the 5yr factory warranty at purchase. I knew it was a complicated car and I've had Golfs long enough to understand they're put together very well, but their reliability isn't the greatest, and my goodness main dealer hourly rates are eye watering.
Car is only 2 years old and I recently had the charge port actuator and wing mirror indicator replaced under warranty. £650 parts only!
Car is charged every day and often multiple times a day at weekends.

·
Premium Member
4,070 Posts
I look at it like insurance, which is essentially what it is.

Can I afford or am I happy to cover any problems should they occur out of warranty. If it’s no then I take out the extended cover.

Am I happy to save the warranty money and hope that nothing happens that costs more than the extended warranty? If so then I wouldn’t take it.

Generally speaking, I take insurance wherever I can, and I find the garages a lot more ‘helpful’ when they know there’s a warranty to back up whatever work they’re doing.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
If VW charge £320 per year for the warranty, then they are making a bet that their car in any one year will not cost more than £320 to fix (minus any excesses the customer has to pay).

I think all considered this is a good bet to take. The problem is if there is a catastrophic fault with the car. Such as the engine throwing a rod, hybrid system total failure, etc. Then without a warranty you could be facing a very large bill.

Edit: month -> year (braino!)

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
Take the warranty !.
I renewed the warranty twice in the time I had my GTE.
It was around the £250 mark each time if my memory serves me correctly.
£250 does NOT buy you a lot at the main dealers I.M.H.O.
You can spend that on sleeping tablets, trying to avoid worrying about "What if it goes wrong" at night.
It's one of them really, if you take the warranty - nothing will go wrong.
But if you don't - "Look Out !!!!".
Hello ..... Big overdraft extension required.
Don't take the chance, might be the best £250 you ever spent if it goes T.U.

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
I would not think so ?.
It appears to more based on your annual milage more than anything else I think.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts