Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I'm looking into buying an extension cable for my Ampera as since I switched to Ampera my home charging cable doesn't reach the car and car has to be parked right by the house wall.

I have a home charger from PodPoint, which is a 7kW unit (i had Leaf before and it was charging Leaf faster than standard 3kW unit).

Does it matter whether I buy a 16Amp or 32Amp extension cable? Just to note, I'll be buying a proper ev extension cable from evcables.

Please advice.

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
The Ampera will take 16A whichever cable you use. The 32 is more future proof for a new ev

Reactions: Lee Dalton

·
Registered
446 Posts
So it doesn't matter which one? They have been trying to sell me 32Amp extension becaue of 7kW charger....
No, it doesn't matter because even if it's a 32 amp cable the Ampera will only draw 16 amps anyway.

BUT if you wanted to use the cable on another car which could take 32 amps then you would be limiting that to only getting 16 amps (there is a resistor in the cable that tells the EVSE how much current it can carry).

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
31,821 Posts
There is NO SUCH THING as a 'proper' EV cable extension.

What they sell are bodge-ups that evade the cable standard designed to prevent this sort of thing.

Just buy a longer lead. How long do you need?

....or move the charge point?

·
Premium Member
11,644 Posts
I assume a tethered cable so I can see attraction of an unapproved extension. Better approach would be to replace cable with a longer one of course.

The risk with that extension is that the parts are not approved for use in a cable and could come loose potentially leading to an exposed live cable. Regularly visual checking could mitigate the risk but this is why extension cables are not allowed in spec.

I do hope the seller has good product liability insurance as a death through electric shock would be an expensive lawsuit. The fact that the cable doesn't meet any standard and is not CE approved would make their defence difficult.

·
Registered
5,063 Posts
So it doesn't matter which one? They have been trying to sell me 32Amp extension becaue of 7kW charger....
Marek, the big chunky cables either built-in to tethered chargers, or sold separately, have a small resistor in the charger-end which the charger unit tests to see what the current rating is for the cable.

Lets suppose you have a 16A cable for your Ampera, with the type 1 plug fitting into the car. Lets also suppose you have some 32A Type 2 to Type 2 extension cable thingy which fits your Rolec nicely. One day, a friend with a Leaf turns up, and you happily plug this lot in to his car. His car may decide it wants 32A, the Rolec sees a 32A cable plugged in (the dodgy extension) and cannot see the 16A cable somewhere in the middle. It all starts up ok, and a few minutes later the whole lot's in flames as the 16A cable goes up in smoke. That's why you shouldn't think about extending the large chunky cables.

You might also get problems if the place where they join up is likely to get wet with rain - can you be sure the plug & socket are well enough matched to be totally watertight?

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No, it doesn't matter because even if it's a 32 amp cable the Ampera will only draw 16 amps anyway.

BUT if you wanted to use the cable on another car which could take 32 amps then you would be limiting that to only getting 16 amps (there is a resistor in the cable that tells the EVSE how much current it can carry).
Thanks

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There is NO SUCH THING as a 'proper' EV cable extension.

What they sell are bodge-ups that evade the cable standard designed to prevent this sort of thing.

Just buy a longer lead. How long do you need?

....or move the charge point?
I'd need another 3m and can't move the charger.
Home charger I have has cable built in so my understanding is the only solution is to but an extension cable?

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Are you saying that "eV extension cables" sold by the company I mentioned are "dodgy"? Not meeting British electrical standards and are to be avoided?
I assume a tethered cable so I can see attraction of an unapproved extension. Better approach would be to replace cable with a longer one of course.

The risk with that extension is that the parts are not approved for use in a cable and could come loose potentially leading to an exposed live cable. Regularly visual checking could mitigate the risk but this is why extension cables are not allowed in spec.

I do hope the seller has good product liability insurance as a death through electric shock would be an expensive lawsuit. The fact that the cable doesn't meet any standard and is not CE approved would make their defence difficult.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Do I understand correctly that you personally wouldn't use and wouldn't recommend extension cable?
Marek, the big chunky cables either built-in to tethered chargers, or sold separately, have a small resistor in the charger-end which the charger unit tests to see what the current rating is for the cable.

Lets suppose you have a 16A cable for your Ampera, with the type 1 plug fitting into the car. Lets also suppose you have some 32A Type 2 to Type 2 extension cable thingy which fits your Rolec nicely. One day, a friend with a Leaf turns up, and you happily plug this lot in to his car. His car may decide it wants 32A, the Rolec sees a 32A cable plugged in (the dodgy extension) and cannot see the 16A cable somewhere in the middle. It all starts up ok, and a few minutes later the whole lot's in flames as the 16A cable goes up in smoke. That's why you shouldn't think about extending the large chunky cables.

You might also get problems if the place where they join up is likely to get wet with rain - can you be sure the plug & socket are well enough matched to be totally watertight?

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Hi Andy,
Would 32Amp cable be safe?

·
Premium Member
11,644 Posts
Are you saying that "eV extension cables" sold by the company I mentioned are "dodgy"? Not meeting British electrical standards and are to be avoided?
I think "dodgy" would be a bit strong but the regulations dont allow any extension cable so they are certainly in a grey area.

Replacing the tethered cable is a better solution and you should get a few quid for your old one in the classified ads here.

Reactions: Richard Gledhill

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
Maybe I shouldn't say this but I use a "modified" type 2 lead to extend and adapt my partners tethered type 2 when charging at her place.
Others on this site know of the modification but I will not be divulging as the type 2 plug does not allow itself to be used as an extension.
I completely agree that it should not be used as it is inherently not a waterproof connection between the plug/flying socket.

@Marek
You need to purchase a tethered cable to suit the distance and get an electrician to swap it over.

·
Registered
2,952 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
I have a tethered cable in the porch and the car is in the open on the drive. It was charging today and then there was a period of torrential rain driving onto the side of the car with the charging port. Is the connection cable to charging port on the car waterproof or shouldnt I use it in heavy rain?

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
31,821 Posts
I'd need another 3m and can't move the charger.
Home charger I have has cable built in so my understanding is the only solution is to but an extension cable?
You could look to buy a longer lead and it just needs wiring into the existing charge point. There's just a screw-in junction box in there, just make sure you wire up the right lines!

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
I have a tethered cable in the porch and the car is in the open on the drive. It was charging today and then there was a period of torrential rain driving onto the side of the car with the charging port. Is the connection cable to charging port on the car waterproof or shouldnt I use it in heavy rain?
The design is such that rain is excluded from the connectors.
I even occasionally wash the car when it's plugged in, stupid maybe but that's what happens when you are an electrician! :eek: :sleep:

·
Registered
538 Posts
If you look inside the live end of your charge lead you should see an "O" ring, it's orange on mine, this keeps out water when charging. However there has been problems reported with the.water entering the plugs when they are left hanging face down from the cable on the charger, best to store them in the holster when it's raining.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.