·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
181 Posts
Hi and welcome.

There are quite a few threads on here with different options so worth a quick search too.

The second link is broken so I can’t see that one but I’ve gone for one of these as it gives a little more weatherproofing protection. Pro-XT Weatherproof Trailing Socket High Visibility Cable - 10m 13A | Wickes.co.uk

Heavy duty extension, fully unwound when in use to mitigate overheating issues and ensuring your house wiring is up to scratch should tick the boxes.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Just treat the damn thing with respect no exceptions!
It absolutely needs to have a waterproof socket if you are charging in the open and always remove the plug from the internal 13A wall socket first to isolate everything.

Check regularly for signs of over heating at all four points of the connection, that is by far the biggest risk when using an extension especially over time.
In fact if the wall socket is ancient consider a new face plate with nice clean contacts that have plenty of grip.

Never leave the lead coiled up whilst charging so don't buy billion of metres more than necessary

Consider it may be a trip hazard to family and 3rd parties.

And yes I know it is easy enough to think you always will but it is different story when it is minus 1900 and frozen to death, pitch black, hissing down and you are in a rush!

Here are some pretty pictures of ordinary extension leads, (One noticeably was used to charge an EV).
Why is it dangerous use a coiled extension cord

·
Registered
410 Posts
I use an extension lead daily. One from Tough Leads - EV electric vehicle leads
Great quality and was friendly quick service.
I’d agree. Just got 10m lead with inline RCD and weather proof socket from Tough Leads. Excellent quality. Tried it last weekend and car charged for 12 hours at about 2.5kW per hour with no sign of warmth on any part of cable or fittings.

·
Lettuce Leaf early to be sure of arriving on time.
909 Posts
Get one and keep it in the boot after your home charger is installed. I have two, and have had occasion to use them more than once!

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Toughleads are very good.
I've just bought the 25metre one, and I must say that it isn't ideal by any means.

I don't doubt the quality - the cable is industrial quality. However, the in-line socket is monstrous, it flipped over as I was trying to straighten the cable and the cover popped off - it really is a complete wall box stuck on the end of a cable and not really appropriate for an in-line extension. I understand the reason for this, but I don't have an i3 with a bulbous 13 amp plug, and this would have been better as an option. The other issue is the in-line trip - it isn't latching, so if the power goes off for any reason then the trip drops out and you end up with no charge.

So, I've ordered a Masterplugs weatherproof socket to replace the monstrous dongle and I'm tempted to remove the trip - it is going to end up a very expensive piece of 25m wire by the time I'm finished.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts

Yes, they only used to do this masterplug lead, with no rcd, just as you want.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts

Yes, they only used to do this masterplug lead, with no rcd, just as you want.
Indeed. If I'd known that the socket on the other was so monstrous and the RCD non-latching, I'd have gone for it. Sadly, if you try the options (on either cable) you find that the longer lengths are not available without RCD.

·
Registered
68 Posts
This one seems to be a generic weatherproof extension. I ordered a 15m one from them but specifically for EV's with the inline RCD. This one has good recommendation on these forums.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Received my Tough Leads cable today and some pics for you to see quality. I haven't used it yet and don't 3 pin charge much but first impressions are impressed by quality. The cable is high quality. It's 15m length. Permaplug 3 pin at one end and the inline RCD. The IP66 housing for your 3 pin granny plug is quite big and I've put a playing card next to it to try to show the size. The housing has a rubber seal all around edge and the lid clicks closed so looks very rainproof. The cable of your granny 3 pin plug is sealed when the lid is closed. The housing can be padlocked as well. Cost me £48.98 for the 15m length. I was advised by Adrian from Tough Leads that how long you need is often under estimated as you guess by line of site in straight line. He said 10m actually bit short but long leads unwieldy and need to uncoil all of it when using so 15m is a good length. My granny cable is also 5m in addition.

I can only agree strongly with the previous recommendations for this lead and the company.
IMG_20200730_140812.jpg
IMG_20200730_140920.jpg
IMG_20200730_141141.jpg

IMG_20200730_140726.jpg

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
I agree that the build quality is excellent, but that box is monstrous and not designed for crashing around on the end of a cable (it is a wall box). I think that the Masterplugs weather proof socket is a better bet, if you don't need the big one. The in-line RCCD is non-latching - that is, it doesn't stay connected if the power fails. That could be a mighty big issue if you wake up in the morning at a B&B to find a short outage has permanently disconnected your car.

They do one with the Masterplugs socket, and I'd think that was the better buy - it certainly fits the Leaf granny cable. I'm just about to go down to swap mine over now and wall box can go in a box in the garage.

Now, why are the 20 and 25 metre not available without the RCCD, when the 15 metre one is? I'd guess there must be a safety spec issue. Anyone know?

·
Registered
68 Posts
I agree that the build quality is excellent, but that box is monstrous and not designed for crashing around on the end of a cable (it is a wall box). I think that the Masterplugs weather proof socket is a better bet, if you don't need the big one. The in-line RCCD is non-latching - that is, it doesn't stay connected if the power fails. That could be a mighty big issue if you wake up in the morning at a B&B to find a short outage has permanently disconnected your car.

They do one with the Masterplugs socket, and I'd think that was the better buy - it certainly fits the Leaf granny cable. I'm just about to go down to swap mine over now and wall box can go in a box in the garage.

Now, why are the 20 and 25 metre not available without the RCCD, when the 15 metre one is? I'd guess there must be a safety spec issue. Anyone know?
I don't mind if the box is too big. Many complained other makes were too small and couldn't close over plug. I'm not trying to fit it through a letterbox or anything. Also I see what you're saying about a non-latching RCD but this is for very rare use and if there was a power outage the same time I was using this then just bad luck. This price included £7 postage so I think good value.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts