·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
181 Posts
Hi and welcome.

There are quite a few threads on here with different options so worth a quick search too.

The second link is broken so I can’t see that one but I’ve gone for one of these as it gives a little more weatherproofing protection. Pro-XT Weatherproof Trailing Socket High Visibility Cable - 10m 13A | Wickes.co.uk

Heavy duty extension, fully unwound when in use to mitigate overheating issues and ensuring your house wiring is up to scratch should tick the boxes.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Just treat the damn thing with respect no exceptions!
It absolutely needs to have a waterproof socket if you are charging in the open and always remove the plug from the internal 13A wall socket first to isolate everything.

Check regularly for signs of over heating at all four points of the connection, that is by far the biggest risk when using an extension especially over time.
In fact if the wall socket is ancient consider a new face plate with nice clean contacts that have plenty of grip.

Never leave the lead coiled up whilst charging so don't buy billion of metres more than necessary

Consider it may be a trip hazard to family and 3rd parties.

And yes I know it is easy enough to think you always will but it is different story when it is minus 1900 and frozen to death, pitch black, hissing down and you are in a rush!

Here are some pretty pictures of ordinary extension leads, (One noticeably was used to charge an EV).
Why is it dangerous use a coiled extension cord

·
Registered
408 Posts
I use an extension lead daily. One from Tough Leads - EV electric vehicle leads
Great quality and was friendly quick service.
I’d agree. Just got 10m lead with inline RCD and weather proof socket from Tough Leads. Excellent quality. Tried it last weekend and car charged for 12 hours at about 2.5kW per hour with no sign of warmth on any part of cable or fittings.

·
Lettuce Leaf early to be sure of arriving on time.
903 Posts
Get one and keep it in the boot after your home charger is installed. I have two, and have had occasion to use them more than once!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts