Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

Extension cable for trickle charger

5K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  Fenix 
#1 ·
Hi folks,

loving my new e-Niro EV but have tried to attach the trickle charger for the first time today and can't believe how short it is!
I've been told not to use an extension cable by the dealer but surely it's safe if you use a good quality one with a high power rating?
Any recommendations?
Also, is the brick on the trickle charger fully waterproof?
Thanks!

#2 ·
I use a 30m (actually I've done 60m) extension lead, but you have to bear in mind issues such as voltage drop. This means that your efficiency goes down and you might want to check what amperage your granny cable is expecting to pull. My OEM cable was hard set to a full 13amps and on a UK socket, I ended up melting the plug to the extension lead. I can confirm that charging at 8 or 10 amps does seem to work, however. (This is related to the fuse in the plug warming up, as if you are close to the tolerance, it will not blow but it will gradually heat up the plastic!)

#3 ·
The "brick" on the charger is not "fully waterproof", more fully splash proof. Do not leave it somewhere where puddles can form, but it is fine in rain as long as the water can run off.
The plug of the extension lead and potentially the socket that you plug into are the weak link. There's no reason why they can't be brought up to a suitable specification, but most on the market are not up to the job and will suffer at such a high continuous current. Choose carefully to avoid a potential fire.

#4 ·
For my soon to arrive Niro I’ve ordered an extension lead from Toughleads. I know from experience that more common shop bought extensions don’t work well outside in low temperatures and the cable is easily damaged. I’ve got a run across the neighbours property to consider (can avoid a trip hazard) so wanted something decent. More expensive than average but very reasonable prices for something of higher quality.

#6 ·
+1 for Toughleads. Well-made stuff by someone who know's what they're talking about!

You can get one with/ without an RCD, and with a normal socket (if the joint is to be indoors) or a waterproof socket. The waterproof one is pretty bulky though, so only get it if you need. I would also only get the length you need.

As above, best to keep the brick and the plug/ socket joint off the ground.

#7 ·
You shouldn't need an RCD if the socket outlet has one but you should have one to protect the cable if it doesn't. The one in the brick will protect the car.

Assuming the one in the lead is a 30mA one there's unlikely to be any discrimination so it's just a race as to which one trips first, it doesn't buy you anything extra.

#8 ·
I bought one of the heavy duty cables as advised. Used it a few times no issues but came to use it this week on holiday and it's not working. I'll replace the 13a fuse but wondering what has happened. It's had very little use and just been in a box in the boot for the last year or so. Seems weird to me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.