Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Thanks, this looks good. I will get one of them ordered before I set my home on fire
As well as getting a better quality extension lead you can also drop the charge current from the 10A maximum for the granny charger to 6A, via either the WeConnect app or the infotainment unit in the car. Obviously will take nearly twice as long to charge but for a GTE it is still not that long.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I thought another reason for avoiding extension leads is that a granny charger often has a heat sensor in its plug. Obviously a heat sensor in the granny charger's plug is not going to help if the socket into which the extension lead is plugged becomes too hot. Is it possible to buy extension leads with heat sensors in their plug? If it is that should be another way of making charging from a granny charger via an extension lead a little safer.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
I thought another reason for avoiding extension leads is that a granny charger often has a heat sensor in its plug. Obviously a heat sensor in the granny charger's plug is not going to help if the socket into which the extension lead is plugged becomes too hot. Is it possible to buy extension leads with heat sensors in their plug? If it is that should be another way of making charging from a granny charger via an extension lead a little safer.

Good point, and another very good reason for either not using an extension lead or choosing to use a heavy duty one if there's no other practical option. Also worth noting that quite a few portable charge point manufacturers consider that the risk of the 13 A plug overheating is high enough to warrant fitting a temperature sensor, which pretty much proves that this is a real risk.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
29,850 Posts
Hi,
I believe this is more of an electrical query than a GTE query. I don't currently have a home charger so use my granny charger to charge my GTE MK7. Charging fine for the last few months until this Thursday, when I found the inlet on the extension lead that I used for charging has experienced some burns (see picture) . I currently use this extension lead to connect to another waterproof extension lead that connects to the granny charger.
View attachment 145512

Any ideas why the inlet melted? Could it be a loose connection or should I just replace the extension lead with a better quality one? I remember seeing some charging power settings on the dashboard menu and I believe I set it to13A.
What does your user/driver handbook say about using extension leads with your charger?

·
Registered
507 Posts
Even though I don’t actually use one I was always under the impression not to use one with an extension lead for this reason!!

Definitely expedite getting a dedicated charger installed, just in case.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Nothing like putting 12kW through a 3kW socket to spice things up.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
For best effect I recommend removing the wall socket and plug and wiring the extension lead directly into the ring main.

sniff mm, smells like melting PVC.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20
982 Posts
On a serious note, a place I used to work folk were partial to running catering coffee machines and burco water boilers from extension leads. I judiciously replaced every 13A fuse with a 10A when doing the portable appliance testing. Solved the problem and identified who was doing it (always denied) because they brought me a pile of “broken” leads.

More than once I caught serious fire hazards.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Don’t forget the replace the fuse with a rusty nail
I once went out to a rented cottage at night where the landlord (a friend) had reported that his tenants were without power. Got there to find that they had blown the main cable coming into the house. They had obviously blown the main fuse once and had replaced it with a bit of copper water pipe . . .

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
That’s fairly impressive. What was wrong to have achieved that?

My guess is that the tenant was trying to bypass the electricity meter. There were scorch marks where the tails go in under the meter, suggesting he had tried the old trick of pushing a loop of cable with a spike at either end up into the terminations. I suspect he didn't understand that the neutrals are both in the middle (the terminals are, left to right, L supply, N supply, N load L load), so may have just shorted out the incoming supply by connecting line to neutral (twice, from the look of it).

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I've heard stories of people running weed farms and bitcoin mining arrays with stolen 3 phase power. They often don't know what they are doing and end up shorting out the "street ring-main" (I'm not an electrician, but the 3ph cable that supplies all properties in the area) which can create a sizeable explosion at the short circuit location and usually results in popped fuses at the substation.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
I've heard stories of people running weed farms and bitcoin mining arrays with stolen 3 phase power. They often don't know what they are doing and end up shorting out the "street ring-main" (I'm not an electrician, but the 3ph cable that supplies all properties in the area) which can create a sizeable explosion at the short circuit location and usually results in popped fuses at the substation.

The local LV distribution network will usually have 800 A fuses, and sometimes they won't blow if there's a short on the cable, because the fault current is below that needed to blow the fuse. I've seen a length of underground cable burn back like a sparkler, after being hit by a digger. Gave the digger driver a heck of a fright, and took a chunk out of the digger bucket. In that case the fuse at the sub-station didn't blow as it was too far away, and the cable impedance plus the impedance of the short at the end of the cable was too high for enough fault current to flow so it just sat there sparking and burning until the DNO came out and turned off the 11 kV supply to the transformer..

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Some of the power distribution infrastructure is now getting pretty old, especially some of the underground cables, and particularly the older type of joints (before modern resin filled torpedo joints). When we had an issue with a high supply voltage earlier this year it turned out that our sub-station transformer was installed in the mid-1960's. The guys had an interesting time trying to free off and move the tap changer as it hadn't been moved in over 50 years.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
20,861 Posts
I think that’s where the phrase “Never get high on your own supply” comes from

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
29,850 Posts
Out of curiosity, we still have original Victorian sewers and rail way works. Is there any Victorian copper wire left still operating in the ground? (I presume anything overhead would have fallen down by now?)

21 - 40 of 45 Posts