Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Asking for recommendation. I’m about to swap my Zoe for an e-Niro, and this one comes with a granny charger.
This will allow us to recharge at destination when going to holiday cottages and the like.

question: it is acceptable/safe to charge on 3-pin plug with a long extension lead (to bring the juice from the house to the car)? If so, is there any type of extension recommended or will any standard one do?

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,545 Posts
Use of an extension is not recommended but if you must then make sure it is rated at 13 amp minimum and when using fully unwind it even if you don't need the full length, if it is coiled it can overheat and cause a fire. protect any plug/socket connection from adverse weather and morning dew. Try and charge at the lowest setting on the car, you don't know how good the wiring is to the socket you are using, and regularly check plugs and sockets are not getting warm.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Your extension cable should have wires of a cross section of 1.5mm or more. More if it is a long one .. 15m or longer. Otherwise h8ten“s advice is correct.

·
Registered
220 Posts
If you search this forum you'll see there's lots of threads about this already including recommendations of a lead from Toughleads. I posted photos of mine.

·
Registered
16 Posts
My electrician friend butchered my granny charger to stop me using extension leads that get hot..... she fitted a 15 metre length of 2.5mm² 3 Core SY Control Flexible Cable to it with a 13 amp plug on the end. Doesn't even get mildly warm. Just make sure your granny charger doesn't have thermal protection on that side before swapping the cable & finding you're then missing thermistor circuits.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts