Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Planning ahead here and wanted some advice. Assuming I get my Leaf in time I plan to drive it to the Forest of Dean where we have a Lodge booked for the New Year. I can charge using the Ecotricity RC's on route without issue but would like to charge at the lodge from a 13A socket whilst we're there.

We've stayed at here before and the nearest I can get the car to the lodge is about 10m away so, if I'm to use the portable EVSE I'll need to use an extension. Is it ok to do so for occasional usage? I was looking at a 20m reel that has 2 x weatherproof sockets. Assuming I unroll the entire reel am I ok to use this for a charge?

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
I have used extension cables with my leaf before, and generally its been ok, however its not the lead you need to worry about, I have found some external sockets with rubbish wiring behind them so the weak point is not your cable

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Just ensure that it's rated to at least 13 amp, since the EVSE draws 10 amps. The safety concern is the prolonged 10 amp current draw for up to 10-12 hours from flat and the state of the buildins wiring, ringmain usage draw from other appliances. You are correct in unreeling the whole cable for use. The EVSE was as stated by Nissan, intended to be used from public charge posts with our domestic 13 amp plug interface. As you will be, just be observant. Good luck.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Something I found when I was displaying my Leaf at a show and charging using a 10m extension cable... it was a full 13A rated (beware as some aren't!) but being such a long cable and combined with what might have been low voltage anyway because of the show, I found that I have a very slow charge. In fact, I was displaying and on charge for the best part of 10hrs and I only managed about 60%

I am sure that wasn't solely because of the long cable run but I am sure it won't have helped :)

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Interesting, thanks. Shouldn't be an issue as we're there for 5 days and don't plan on using the car much in that period so plenty of time to get it back to 100%.

Having said that, the dealer, who was supposed to call today to arrange delivery, didn't. So whether I get the car before Christmas is up in the air now :(

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I purchased a waterproof reel with 2 sockets from B&Q a year or so back (actually I got a second for the garden!). It's never caused me any grief with charging, and the plug has never got hot. Note that the instructions on these reels generally say that the ENTIRE LENGTH of cable must be unwound for > 6A load, so I ALWAYS do this.

I use the cable when visiting friends/family mostly. When I moved house I used it daily.

I have had one plug/socket failure (burn). Definately caused by a bad socket/plug - since replaced so as Paul mentioned there can be other weak spots.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts