Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is there stopping you using a extension cable not a 13amp one i mean say a 32 amp

can you get them ??

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
I have seen J1772 Extensions on a US site. http://www.tucsonev.com/J1772Extension.html
(Just don't ask how the plug resistors are configured to protect the lead!)

I'm not sure of the legalites but chargers are supposed to have very short live leads, I have used a 13A extension for 10A charging on my ampera but always unreel the whole cable (not into a coil on the floor either!) to prevent induction heating. Also worth bearing in mind plugs (fuse elements) will get hot on 10A for long periods.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I've used one of these with no problems since last October. Don't go too long, and make sure the cable has conductors with a minimum x-sectional area of 2.5mm^2. It's not waterproof, so I used a dri-box to keep the rain out.

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
What is there stopping you using a extension cable not a 13amp one i mean say a 32 amp
I've used a 10m 32A extension many times without problem. I use "commando" plugs/sockets rated for the continuous load and 6mm HO7 rubber cable. This is the standard equipment used on sound stages, outside broadcasts, etc., and is so perfectly safe if assembled correctly and checked on a regular basis.

can you get them ??
You can order custom extension cables from Essential Supplies

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
I am a little unclear what you mean by an extension cable. What is it you want to extend? Do you mean an extension to J1772 or to extend a commando 32A dumb supply?

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes I mean long cable then no worry if you cant get on the charging post

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Which cable? Which charging post? They all use different cables :)

If you could explain what you will use the extension for then we can help.

Are you extending a 13A, 32A, J1772 or Type 2?

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
To be honest im almost certainly getting a leaf, what I ment is if you have a long cable and you get (ICEd)
It would not be so much of a issue
I guess to be safe you would have to have a selection

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Ah right :) I think I got it...

Sounds like you want an extension to extend the Type 1/2 cable when charging on public charging locations if you get ICEd but can park somewhere close... is that correct?

If so then you might be able to get an extension. A type2/type2 might be your best option. They are horrendously expensive though as you may need to get one made up specially.

Perhaps others can help with a type2/2 extension cable??? Anyone?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts