Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just part exchanged my 69 plate i3s for a new 21 plate i3s as the price I got to exchange I thought was very reasonable.
One thing that bugged me on the previous car was the exterior noise it produced when going slowly, so much so that
deactivated it on start by using a button on the 1 to 8 pre-sets.
I was my understanding that this noise was compulsory on all electric vehicles but to my delight it no longer emits this noise on this newer vehicle
and I cannot see any options in the menu for it.
Has the law changed? or has it gone back to being an option?

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
I think that the answer lies in the fact that the i3 was Type Approved before 2019. I have just looked at the brochure for the recently released iX3 and it is standard equipment on both models.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I’ve just bought a 69 plate i3s and there’s no noise at all when driving it? Which, to be honest I’m glad about as there was a new one being driven around the dealer forecourt which emitted a very strange sound!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for this info at least I know that I'm doing nothing illegal.
Some one mentioned that because I have the driving assistant plus that this may be the reason its not fitted as there is a pedestrian collision
tick box in the menu, my older vehicle did not have this option.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Thanks for this info at least I know that I'm doing nothing illegal.
Some one mentioned that because I have the driving assistant plus that this may be the reason its not fitted as there is a pedestrian collision
tick box in the menu, my older vehicle did not have this option.
No. Unfortunately both i3's I've had with driving assistant plus also came with pedestrian warning. Simple to code a button to turn it off, but annoying warning light on the dash.

·
Registered
138 Posts
It was always an option on the i3, a paid-for option at about £80. No idea why anyone would pay extra for it.
I was one of those numpties that paid £80 for it as I didn't know if I would get annoyed about unaware pedestrians in car parks and the like. In 2018 when we ordered it wasn't a legal requirement, but we knew the requirement was coming. But as luck would have it, its the emperors new clothes on my car. Simply no noise at all within my registry of hearing despite the menus telling me its active. There's another thread on here where I posted a "recording" of the no noise but some claimed it was making a noise, so maybe it would be worth £80 to those people? Now that we're used to the car, I know a noise is not necessary for our use...

·
Registered
543 Posts
Also specified on my 2019 vehicle, very little noise. My friend has a new mini EV that makes a right racket in comparison to the i3s. Very audible. It would be interesting to dig into the coding to see how mine is set up as I have always thought it quiet but it is audible.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
A friend of mine has just received his 71 plate Lexus Takuma NX hybrid, when he reversed off my drive I thought a tin can was trapped in his wheel and screeching on the brake disk.
So did he, turns out its the noise it makes in ev mode.
He is taking it back to the dealer in to see if they can silence it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts