Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

My GTE is due to be built 18/01 and I wanted to fit an external 13A socket to charge overnight. What I was wondering is are there any special considerations in terms of what I fit?

I was thinking of getting this but is it better to get one with a built in RCD like this? Also, I'm consious that there needs to be enough clearance to shut the lid of the socket to keep the rain out so is the plug on the standard 13A lead bulky in any way?

Thanks

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Jools. That looks like a good alternative IF I have to get a socket with and RCD but not sure if this is really needed. Are there any other advantages to that over the ones I was looking at?

What I need to consider is that the car is on a 3 year lease and I'm not sure what will follow it. I have no external sockets on the house so putting a double in seems like a good idea

·
Registered
43 Posts
I had a tethered 32 amp socket installed for £190 from nuCharge, a government grant covers most of the cost. The 16amp version was a bit cheaper and is all that the GTE needs, but I thought I would future proof it. I'm also on a 3 year lease, could always swap out the charging unit for a three pin plug in the future.

16amps reduces the charge time to two hours, having a tethered unit is useful as you don't have to take wires in and out of the boot of the car every time you need to charge up.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had a tethered 32 amp socket installed for £190 from nuCharge, a government grant covers most of the cost. The 16amp version was a bit cheaper and is all that the GTE needs, but I thought I would future proof it. I'm also on a 3 year lease, could always swap out the charging unit for a three pin plug in the future.

16amps reduces the charge time to two hours, having a tethered unit is useful as you don't have to take wires in and out of the boot of the car every time you need to charge up.
So are there still grants available?

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I've contacted Rolec and think I might go for the 32A tethered - for a cost of about £50 after grant it seems like the best option

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, but isn't there a grant to pay 70% of it? Which would leave me to pay £50?

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
You can now get a Rolec Multimodule with a tethered plug and a 13a socket

upload_2016-1-9_10-37-57.png

upload_2016-1-9_10-39-18.png

Reactions: GTEd

·
Registered
442 Posts
You can now get a Rolec Multimodule with a tethered plug and a 13a socket
Any idea how much this is, I can't see the price on their site? I'm awaiting a quote for a new double socket in the garage but this may be a better option as I only really need one socket.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Any idea how much this is, I can't see the price on their site? I'm awaiting a quote for a new double socket in the garage but this may be a better option as I only really need one socket.
I would imagine that this unit would incur additional charges over the quoted grant prices. I did a search and as an outright purchase for the unit it's about £410. Ask your OLEV approved supplier what additional charge it would be over the standard unit?

·
Registered
542 Posts
Unfortunately the "tethered +13a socket" unit is not on the OLEV list, and therefore does not qualify for the grant.

I separate box, with a 13a socket is in the region of £100. I had one of these fitted next to my OLEV part funded socket, as shown in the picture earlier in this thread

·
Registered
335 Posts
Yes, but isn't there a grant to pay 70% of it? Which would leave me to pay £50?
The fitted price of the unit is knocking on for £1000, best price you will get using the OLEV grant is about a £195 contribution. The grant is being reduced from £700 to £500 early this year, so £395 will be the price soon.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
The fitted price of the unit is knocking on for £1000, best price you will get using the OLEV grant is about a £195 contribution. The grant is being reduced from £700 to £500 early this year, so £395 will be the price soon.
I have recently read a post from an installer that stated they were not going to fit the expensive metering so then should keep the price similar to what it is?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts