Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - newbie here, just ordered an e-Niro and looking to get the charging point sorted out. Thinking of a PodPoint, tethered. There's a straightforward place to put the unit on a side wall right next to our off-street parking - all owned by us, less than 15m cable run so should fit within a "standard" installation. All good, but...

The consumer unit/fuse box are on the front wall of the house. The layout is complicated (we're on the side of a hill) but the bottom line is that the cable will have to run across the front of our house from one side to the other, about 7-8ft above ground. That gives two issues - one is the appearance, and the other is that the "standard" Podpoint installation specifically excludes any wiring above 6ft.

I've looked at internal routes and they are a nightmare - I'd have to lift multiple floorboards, disrupt plumbing, drill lots of holes and uninstall part of our kitchen!

I was thinking of laying a plastic trunk (Screwfix 20mm round white) myself, with cable pull cord, so that the only thing the installer would have to worry about was the fixing at both ends. I'm also hoping that would look neater than a black cable just pinned to the wall.

Has anyone got any experience of anything like this that might help me?

·
Registered
5,539 Posts
Hi - newbie here, just ordered an e-Niro and looking to get the charging point sorted out. Thinking of a PodPoint, tethered. There's a straightforward place to put the unit on a side wall right next to our off-street parking - all owned by us, less than 15m cable run so should fit within a "standard" installation. All good, but...

The consumer unit/fuse box are on the front wall of the house. The layout is complicated (we're on the side of a hill) but the bottom line is that the cable will have to run across the front of our house from one side to the other, about 7-8ft above ground. That gives two issues - one is the appearance, and the other is that the "standard" Podpoint installation specifically excludes any wiring above 6ft.

I've looked at internal routes and they are a nightmare - I'd have to lift multiple floorboards, disrupt plumbing, drill lots of holes and uninstall part of our kitchen!

I was thinking of laying a plastic trunk (Screwfix 20mm round white) myself, with cable pull cord, so that the only thing the installer would have to worry about was the fixing at both ends. I'm also hoping that would look neater than a black cable just pinned to the wall.

Has anyone got any experience of anything like this that might help me?
The Screwfix plastic conduit (not trunking) will look terrible within a few years. It might look terrible immediately depending on the materials of the house.
I would look very hard to find an alternative cable route, underground if at all possible. Is the meter / cablehead aka cutout aka supply fuse adjacent to the consumer unit? Or at a location near to the proposed charger?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Screwfix plastic conduit (not trunking) will look terrible within a few years. It might look terrible immediately depending on the materials of the house.
I would look very hard to find an alternative cable route, underground if at all possible. Is the meter / cablehead aka cutout aka supply fuse adjacent to the consumer unit? Or at a location near to the proposed charger?
Thanks for the response. I do take your point, but I'm struggling to find alternatives. The surface of the house is rendered and painted cream - it's an old house.

The meter and fusebox are in the same cabinet, right where the supply enters the house. Underground is out of the question, sadly - we'd have to dig up a lot of paved drive, not to mention fight through a granite wall.

What if I just have the cable pinned to the wall (assuming the fitter will be happy to work at that height) and then paint it to match the wall behind? I guess that depends on (1) how serious PodPoint are about not working above 6ft and (2) if painting the cable is a problem...

·
Registered
5,539 Posts
Thanks for the response. I do take your point, but I'm struggling to find alternatives. The surface of the house is rendered and painted cream - it's an old house.

The meter and fusebox are in the same cabinet, right where the supply enters the house. Underground is out of the question, sadly - we'd have to dig up a lot of paved drive, not to mention fight through a granite wall.

What if I just have the cable pinned to the wall (assuming the fitter will be happy to work at that height) and then paint it to match the wall behind? I guess that depends on (1) how serious PodPoint are about not working above 6ft and (2) if painting the cable is a problem...
This is not an easy problem to solve. No idea as to the historical or aesthetic value of your house, but a thick horizontal wire or conduit will probably not improve things.
I would continue with brainstorrming alternatives. Eg
  • a new separate supply to your garage or direct to the charging point.
  • a very long flexible
  • buried underground but tunneled rather than trenched..
-surface mounted then add external insulation and render new the entire wall/facade
etc

·
Registered
5,539 Posts
This is not an easy problem to solve. No idea as to the historical or aesthetic value of your house, but a thick horizontal wire or conduit will probably not improve things.
I would continue with brainstorrming alternatives. Eg
  • a new separate supply to your garage or direct to the charging point.
  • a very long flexible
  • buried underground but tunneled rather than trenched..
-surface mounted then add external insulation and render new the entire wall/facade
etc
On the tunneling front, thus is an example.

Of course feasibility depends on the soil type. Hard rock or agglomerate rules it out. A contractor would probably give you an idea for free.

Impact Moling | Drains & Water | Below Ground Solutions

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
2,185 Posts
Plastic conduit or trunking will indeedlook awful because it will not remain straight for long.
Galvanised steel conduit would be better, could be painted to match the wall and is not too expensive.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. The house is early Victorian and although it's not listed I try to preserve the appearance as much as possible. Tunneling won't be possible either. Painted steel conduit is an interesting call - I'll have a think about that.

It's a complex space and I might end up with a mix of approaches - conduit in a section which absolutely has to run at height, and then just pinned cable near ground level in another part. Adds to the length, but not by much.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
It's a few years ago now, but both Podpoint and Chargemaster shipped 15m lengths of 6mm SWA for me to bury myself. Podpoint were happy for it to be uncovered including the initial 3 or 4 metres of cable sitting above ground. Chargemaster wanted their run putting in trunking all the way and supplied enough white plastic stuff too. Luckily a lot of that shorter section is hidden by running through a log store.

I quite enjoy the construction side of things so would probably come into the house. Then take the opportunity to renovate the kitchen... then while we're at it redecorate downstairs...

Anyway. I'm intrigued. And like houses. Any pics?

·
Registered
596 Posts
Agree with other comments trunking will look awful.

Just go for the cable neatly clipped to the wall at a Low level. It looks fine not too thick.

I have a Victorian semi in a conservation area my cable is clipped to the wall around the front of the house. All be it there is landscaping that obscures the vast majority of it.

I could have buried most of it if I had wanted but you really can't see it.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just to close this off - had the PodPoint fitted today and in the end went without any trunking, as per advice above. The visible part is clipped (well, screwed actually) low and the part that has to run high does but isn't very visible. Very neatly done by PodPoint's appointed installers, who didn't feel the need to stick to every dot and comma in PodPoint's definition of what constituted "standard".

1 - 10 of 10 Posts