Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For anyone who may have missed it - VW are offering an 'extra' £1K discount to anyone who test drives an ID3 between 11 June and 11 July and orders an ID3 for delivery before 30 September.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So how cheap are they selling them at the moment?
Drive The Deal are coming in at £24K for a Life Pro with no options, not sure if there are any better deals out there?

Mrs Cross123's ICE car has left her standing at the roadside waiting for the RAC for a second time, so her switch to EV may be sooner than anticipated.

·
Registered
21 Posts
They were offering over £4k in finance deposit contributions on the Max and Tour models when I last checked but I guess those offers expired at the start of the month as it’s now £1,750 across all models.

·
Registered
36 Posts
They may seem cheap but the cars have lots of features missing on the updated models. £1040 for a rear view camera (£2000 on family model), £650 for alloy wheels and the paint in solid grey hmmm, so another £635. Then you'll miss things like auto folding mirrors without buying more packs.

In reality it's a £26300 car for the 58kw, still a good price but missing some features. The IS.3 is an ideal replacement for my Leaf but VW are a total mess for complexity of the range and reliability. Kia, Hyundai and Tesla seem to be able to to a limited range with very few options.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
They may seem cheap but the cars have lots of features missing on the updated models. £1040 for a rear view camera (£2000 on family model), £650 for alloy wheels and the paint in solid grey hmmm, so another £635. Then you'll miss things like auto folding mirrors without buying more packs.

In reality it's a £26300 car for the 58kw, still a good price but missing some features. The IS.3 is an ideal replacement for my Leaf but VW are a total mess for complexity of the range and reliability. Kia, Hyundai and Tesla seem to be able to to a limited range with very few options.
Generally, the EVs with lots of standard equipment that would push it over the grant threshold are already well over it. Selecting packs is the way around that problem for a car whose RRP is dancing around the grant threshold.

Alloy wheels have always been a paid for option on almost the whole range historically. Paying for metallic paint is not an ID3 issue or even a VW issue- everyone charges for metallic paint (except Seat).

Do you really think that a rear camera is essential equipment on a car that has all round parking sensors? My 2018 Polo GTI+ had an optional rear view camera (and standard parking sensors all round) because it was a car already in the build process. I paid for it to avoid a 5 month wait. I used that rear camera twice (both to show the car to mates). Its a novelty item for most people. The camera's never been available on a Life spec.

Auto-folding wing mirrors is standard on the life, with a lot of other things as standard too. Heated seats and steering wheel, auto lights, wipers and dimming rear view mirror, ACC, Lane assist, LED lights all round (not Matrix), parking sensors all round and a few other bits I can't remember. The basic spec is more than everything you need. The higherspecs contain "nice to haves".

I bought a 204ps Life Pro Performance 4 weeks ago for £27416, including metallic paint and East Derry alloy wheels. I thought that was an unbeatable deal. Then I was tempted for a second. I've just picked up a new Family spec 204ps with the same alloys and metallic paint for just £834 more. For that extra money, the Family comes with a lot of nice to haves - Pano roof, auto dimming drivers wing mirror, dual zone climate, matrix headlights, rear centre armrest with load through provision, an upgrade on tge seat coverings, illuminated door handles, keyless entry and maybe a few other small things forgotten. I wouldn't pay the £2500ish rrp difference,but £834 is a bargain. There's a few pack upgrades on the life that make so little sense, they must be errors on the website - comfort pack is standard, comfort pack plus adds just dual zone climate and is £1190 more. That's crazy because dual zone climate is around a £450.option on pretty much every other car in the VAG ranges that doesn't come with dual zone climate as standard.

The ID3 is becoming very accessible with its entry level pricing.

£26450 is the RRP of a 1.5TSI 150PS DSG MK8 Golf Life. The nearest ICE equivalent to the Life Pro 150PS/45kWh coming in at £27120 after grant looks like VW are making the choice between ICE and EV less about price and more about range/charging convenience.

The Golf does come with 16" alloys, but if you want 18", that upgrade is going to cost you £1000, not £650 for the Derrys.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Do you really think that a rear camera is essential equipment on a car that has all round parking sensors?
It has sensors to warn you you're about to hit something, yes, but that doesn't help you see where you're going. Having had to move my son's Life fairly often while shuffling cars on the driveway, I find the lack of rear visibility of the car really slows down the process. Our drive has a long sweeping curve that I need to reverse down sometimes & the guidelines on the camera make it a breeze. Also makes parking spaces in car parks a lot easier too.

"Essential"? No, probably not. But definitely a very good quality of life addition and one I am very unlikely to buy a car without now I've had one.

I'm actually quite glad it doesn't have the same "all round" sensors as my dad's Merc. They are truly all around as it has side sensors too. They are far, far too sensitive. We went out in his car last weekend & when he goes up my drive the sensors go into overdrive all around the car because there's a grass slope either side. The range and sensitivity on them is ridiculous.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 1st Edition & Tesla M3 LR
7,813 Posts
I've just picked up a new Family spec 204ps with the same alloys and metallic paint for just £834 more. For that extra money, the Family comes with a lot of nice to haves - Pano roof, auto dimming drivers wing mirror, dual zone climate, matrix headlights, rear centre armrest with load through provision, an upgrade on tge seat coverings, illuminated door handles, keyless entry and maybe a few other small things forgotten.
To be honest, I’d pay the £834 to get the Matrix headlights alone, they are easily one of the best features of an ID.3 if it has them for me.

I was out driving quite late the other night, it had been a while since I’d seen them in action, and it’s still witch craft to me watching them work!

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Generally, the EVs with lots of standard equipment that would push it over the grant threshold are already well over it. Selecting packs is the way around that problem for a car whose RRP is dancing around the grant threshold.

Alloy wheels have always been a paid for option on almost the whole range historically. Paying for metallic paint is not an ID3 issue or even a VW issue- everyone charges for metallic paint (except Seat).

Do you really think that a rear camera is essential equipment on a car that has all round parking sensors? My 2018 Polo GTI+ had an optional rear view camera (and standard parking sensors all round) because it was a car already in the build process. I paid for it to avoid a 5 month wait. I used that rear camera twice (both to show the car to mates). Its a novelty item for most people. The camera's never been available on a Life spec.

Auto-folding wing mirrors is standard on the life, with a lot of other things as standard too. Heated seats and steering wheel, auto lights, wipers and dimming rear view mirror, ACC, Lane assist, LED lights all round (not Matrix), parking sensors all round and a few other bits I can't remember. The basic spec is more than everything you need. The higherspecs contain "nice to haves".

I bought a 204ps Life Pro Performance 4 weeks ago for £27416, including metallic paint and East Derry alloy wheels. I thought that was an unbeatable deal. Then I was tempted for a second. I've just picked up a new Family spec 204ps with the same alloys and metallic paint for just £834 more. For that extra money, the Family comes with a lot of nice to haves - Pano roof, auto dimming drivers wing mirror, dual zone climate, matrix headlights, rear centre armrest with load through provision, an upgrade on tge seat coverings, illuminated door handles, keyless entry and maybe a few other small things forgotten. I wouldn't pay the £2500ish rrp difference,but £834 is a bargain. There's a few pack upgrades on the life that make so little sense, they must be errors on the website - comfort pack is standard, comfort pack plus adds just dual zone climate and is £1190 more. That's crazy because dual zone climate is around a £450.option on pretty much every other car in the VAG ranges that doesn't come with dual zone climate as standard.

The ID3 is becoming very accessible with its entry level pricing.

£26450 is the RRP of a 1.5TSI 150PS DSG MK8 Golf Life. The nearest ICE equivalent to the Life Pro 150PS/45kWh coming in at £27120 after grant looks like VW are making the choice between ICE and EV less about price and more about range/charging convenience.

The Golf does come with 16" alloys, but if you want 18", that upgrade is going to cost you £1000, not £650 for the Derrys.
The ID3 configurator on the VW website does seem to be a mess - took me a while before I spotted that the extra packs list functions that are already included as standard.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
To be honest, I’d pay the £834 to get the Matrix headlights alone, they are easily one of the best features of an ID.3 if it has them for me.

I was out driving quite late the other night, it had been a while since I’d seen them in action, and it’s still witch craft to me watching them work!
I am already risking my life trying to lure Mrs Cross123 away from the blue oval - the in laws will definitely be around with pitch forks and torches if I start talking about matrix headlights :)

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If you keep an eye out or bide your time, you can beat DTD. I beat them by about £450 with my Life Pro Performance, and I just got a Family Pro Performance with metallic paint and alloys for only £590 more than that (RRP about £2700 more)
Useful to know, thanks.

Were these published deals that you took advantage of, or is it a case of calling up dealers and seeing what they will offer?

·
Registered
1,564 Posts

Ha! Yeah, I was on a road where I could use the matrix headlights for the first time in a while yesterday as well. Genuinely thought “I should take more country roads when I go to places so that I can use this more often…” :D

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Useful to know, thanks.

Were these published deals that you took advantage of, or is it a case of calling up dealers and seeing what they will offer?
For the family order, Ado made us aware of it last weekend and I was on it like a tramp on chips. For my Life, I asked a dealership that I'd bought a few heavily discounted cars from to beat the DTD price and they smashed it.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts

Had I known there was such a fantastic offer coming my way when I ordered the (then) incoming life on 29th March, I'd have waited and bought 2 Family specs from Heritage, also trying to wangle a bigger discount for buying 2!

I never thought I'd see a new Family priced so low. Matrix headlights not as big a deal - can't remember the last time I was on a windy unlit country road. As an all in package for that £854, it was stonking value.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts