Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just discovered that you can fold the back seats even further and unlock even more space!

No need for any tools at all. Fold both seats forward as normal then starting with the longer seat back, if you look down at the hinge point you will see it fits in a slot. Pull the seat back upwards out of the slot then slide it towards you a bit so the other end of it slides out of the spigot that holds it linked to the other seat back. You can't remove the seat back completely because the 3rd seat belt is integral to the back and also fixed to the seat portion, but just fold it forwards and put it upside down on the floor in front of the seat. Same on the other side but it's even easier because there is no seat belt in the way. Make sure the metal spigot aligns and goes back in the hole in the long seat to keep it all secure and tidy when you put the short seat back on the floor. Recovery is the reverse, making sure you start with the short seat back first.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Brilliant! Thanks for the detailed explanation and photos! Will have to try this when the current storm passes!

It appears that the black triangular fitting where the seat backs attach sticks up a bit. If you move the boot floor up to its higher position, does it still stick up? I am thinking of this set up with a mattress to try car camping and a sticking up seat fitting may be uncomfortable!

Have you tried to lift out the rear seat base too? I have a set of seat covers that require the rear seat base to be lifted to tighten the covers underneath the seat.

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,172 Posts
Just discovered that you can fold the back seats even further and unlock even more space!

No need for any tools at all. Fold both seats forward as normal then starting with the longer seat back, if you look down at the hinge point you will see it fits in a slot. Pull the seat back upwards out of the slot then slide it towards you a bit so the other end of it slides out of the spigot that holds it linked to the other seat back. You can't remove the seat back completely because the 3rd seat belt is integral to the back and also fixed to the seat portion, but just fold it forwards and put it upside down on the floor in front of the seat. Same on the other side but it's even easier because there is no seat belt in the way. Make sure the metal spigot aligns and goes back in the hole in the long seat to keep it all secure and tidy when you put the short seat back on the floor. Recovery is the reverse, making sure you start with the short seat back first.
View attachment 127755 View attachment 127756 View attachment 127757 View attachment 127758 View attachment 127759
Excellent post Vince. Don't let Bjorn know. He'll be camping in his! :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Brilliant! Thanks for the detailed explanation and photos! Will have to try this when the current storm passes!

It appears that the black triangular fitting where the seat backs attach sticks up a bit. If you move the boot floor up to its higher position, does it still stick up? I am thinking of this set up with a mattress to try car camping and a sticking up seat fitting may be uncomfortable!

Have you tried to lift out the rear seat base too? I have a set of seat covers that require the rear seat base to be lifted to tighten the covers underneath the seat.
Not tried to lift the seat out, its all one piece and Im guessing there is electronics etc underneath looking at the yellow wires in the second photo. Its blowing a gale outside today so I haven't tried to see what its like on the higher floor position either. I didnt have camping or anything really in mind when I tried it, I just saw the slot on the end of the seat by the hinge and wondered what it was there for and if the seat back was easily removable.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Car camping in Norway is not just for pleasure! Only last week in southern Scotland the local mountain rescue had to risk their lives to rescue 12 people who were stranded on a moderate pass due to snow drifts. The ability to camp in your car in comfort in an emergency is an important consideration in selecting a vehicle for cold climes.

Today I followed up on your excellent images Vince and pulled out all seats. Yes, its quite easy to remove and replace the seat backs in the rear as you described. I got a bit stuck on the rear seat base but eventually figured it out.

Run two hands, one from the outside of the rear seat base, the other from the middle of the seat and where there is maximum resistance, sharply pull up the seat corner both left and right. It unclips with a click. The ⅔ rd section cannot be removed from the car due to the seatbelt, but the ⅓ rd section can be completely removed.

Next push the whole rear seat base towards the rear of the car and it can be un-clipped and removed from the vehicle.
I tried this a few times and the seat can be replaced with ease by first ensuring the rearward clips are in place then pushing down firmly on both the right and left seat until they clip solidly into position. You will see the rear clips when the seat base is removed.

In the end I managed to fit the seat covers but not without a bit of real blood, sweat and cursing tears. Fiddly but not too bad.

In relation to the protruding triangle of the seat back attachment I can confirm that it is level with the higher position of the boot platform. I would still cover the fitting with some sort of protection to make sure it does not puncture any mattress you have when car camping.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
I knew it!
Was so sure the base comes out.
Can it be pulled out, pushed back without taken out the backs

·
Registered
92 Posts
Yes, but the protruding belt buckles and the wiring limits the usefulness of the space.
I should have tried folding down the seats with the base removed. I expect they would fold down a few more degrees, which might be useful.

I don't think the base clip sockets are designed for frequent use.

Reactions: Marli

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,172 Posts
Byjorn Will fill it with more banana boxes.
He does camp for 24 hours in one of his Thailand videos. Have you been watching them? There's bananas and coconuts and all sorts of fruit wherever you turn. Makes me hungry just watching them.

Reactions: Carty

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
He does camp for 24 hours in one of his Thailand videos. Have you been watching them? There's bananas and coconuts and all sorts of fruit wherever you turn. Makes me hungry just watching them.
I have been watching the Bjorn videos for a long time, he does a great job of reviewing EV 's.
Shiteeee .......... ! :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,172 Posts
I have been watching the Bjorn videos for a long time, he does a great job of reviewing EV 's.
Shiteeee .......... ! :ROFLMAO:
Yeah, his videos are part of what's keeping me sane. Just picked up a click and collect we've been waiting 3 weeks for. That first sip of whisky tasted like nectar.

Reactions: Carty

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Yeah, his videos are part of what's keeping me sane. Just picked up a click and collect we've been waiting 3 weeks for. That first sip of whisky tasted like nectar.
You enjoy your whisky mate !.
God knows we need some thing right now.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts