Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so I set off today to use a chargepoint while I had my haircut, girly I know! Having only got the normal plug connection at home I naively assumed that as the chargemaster system was showing my chosen chargepoint as suitable for my outlander a cable would be attached. It wasnt so after careful parking I drove away empty, so to speak. Has anybody purchased an extra charge cable to widen their use. I have looked at this today online.https://evconnectors.com/index.php?route=product/product&filter_name=j1772&product_id=122

Thankyou for any advice.

·
Banned
3,116 Posts
@PhylJack you want to avoid 16A cables because some Charging Stations have compatibility problems with them.

I would recommend a 32A 5M cable which is available from @nuWorld Energy for £165 including VAT;

http://www.nuworldenergy.co.uk/shop/product/j1772-to-mennekes-cable-32a-5m

32A 3M cables are also available for £150 but in my experience they are not long enough for some locations.

Note the nuWorld cables use the ITT connectors which IMO are the best EV connectors you can buy... think long and hard before buying 'cheap' unbranded connectors.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@PhylJack you want to avoid 16A cables because some Charging Stations have compatibility problems with them.

I would recommend a 32A 5M cable which is available from @nuWorld Energy for £165 including VAT;

http://www.nuworldenergy.co.uk/shop/product/j1772-to-mennekes-cable-32a-5m

32A 3M cables are also available for £150 but in my experience they are not long enough for some locations.

Note the nuWorld cables use the ITT connectors which IMO are the best EV connectors you can buy... think long and hard before buying 'cheap' unbranded connectors.
Thank you.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Hi and welcome. You will also need an 'RFID' card to operate the charger. It depends on where you live as to which card is best to get....there are a few different types... You might need to ask for advice here on this. You will also be able to use 'rapid' chargers at motorway services/IKEAs - these fit into the larger (right hand) port in the car, and you don't need a cable for these as they have their own. You will probably need an 'Ecotricity' card to use these, however. It all seems very confusing at first, but you soon get used to it!

·
Registered
412 Posts
Sorry, just trying to be helpful. If you can charge at one of the 368 ZeroNet locations, which are mostly in 'overnight' charging locations (e.g. hotels, B&Bs etc.), then you won't need a card. But if you want to charge at one of the c5,000(?) other locations, you will need a card. I use CYC card mostly, but this will depend on where you live.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Sorry, just trying to be helpful. If you can charge at one of the 368 ZeroNet locations, which are mostly in 'overnight' charging locations (e.g. hotels, B&Bs etc.), then you won't need a card. But if you want to charge at one of the c5,000(?) other locations, you will need a card. I use CYC card mostly, but this will depend on where you live.
Think the more tight fisted amongst us would choose to book a Travelodge / Days Inn along the motorway with an attached ecotricity rapid rather than stay at a more expensive BW hotel.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you everyone, these are all really useful. I have so far had to apply for three different cards to cover the charging stations I could use during the common driving destinations.!

·
Registered
46 Posts
So I'm about to shell out £216 on the 10m version of the cable recommended in this thread (mostly for use in MK) and I'm a little worried that it is easy to just walk off with. The cable in question says "J1772 plug complete with padlock facility"

Now I've never used a public charger before but have been reading with interest about etiquette - I'm assuming that padlocking the cable to avoid it being pinched is not a favoured solution as it will mean no one else can use the charge point even once my charge has completed, or does the padlock just stop it being removed from the car end?

What's the best approach here?

·
Registered
592 Posts
The padlock is on the car end (Type 1). I use one. The only padlock you can use is so tiny as to be only really a deterrent from people (kids) fiddling about with it, a determined thief or one equipped with even the smallest bolt cutters could have it away with your cable anyways.

When most points finish charging they automatically unlock the type 2 end, so someone else could unplug and plug in.

I find the 5m is long enough for most public situations, will stretch from front of car to back. Have the 8m at home for my home unit.

Reactions: James Parton

·
Registered
46 Posts
The padlock is on the car end (Type 1). I use one. The only padlock you can use is so tiny as to be only really a deterrent from people (kids) fiddling about with it, a determined thief or one equipped with even the smallest bolt cutters could have it away with your cable anyways.

When most points finish charging they automatically unlock the type 2 end, so someone else could unplug and plug in.

I find the 5m is long enough for most public situations, will stretch from front of car to back. Have the 8m at home for my home unit.
Thanks - that helps a lot. 8m cable ordered, just so I have a little flex if needed ;)

·
Super Moderator
5,892 Posts
Thanks - that helps a lot. 8m cable ordered, just so I have a little flex if needed ;)
Locked to post or not we always padlock the cable to the wheel. Get a large (long) padlock pass a loop of cable around the spokes of a wheel and padlock the loop to the rest of the cable. you cant get the cable out without cutting it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Locked to post or not we always padlock the cable to the wheel. Get a large (long) padlock pass a loop of cable around the spokes of a wheel and padlock the loop to the rest of the cable. you cant get the cable out without cutting it.
Any chance of a photo of what you do?

·
Now enjoying my new Kia SOUL EV
2020 Hyundai Ioniq Electric (38.3 kWh) Premium SE in Iron Grey with Shale Grey Interior option
1,204 Posts

·
Now enjoying my new Kia SOUL EV
2020 Hyundai Ioniq Electric (38.3 kWh) Premium SE in Iron Grey with Shale Grey Interior option
1,204 Posts
Sorry @AndyG, I just Googled it as I knew I had seen it done. Hope it wasn't too cold out? :oops:

·
Registered
46 Posts
I can't loop my cable through the wheel spokes of the Outlander due to the trigger style mouldings on the ends - makes them too bulky to thread through. See photo. Anyone else figured out an alternative?

CABLE_T2_T1_32A_1P_5M-500x375.jpg

·
Registered
592 Posts
You don't need to put the end of the cable though in order to achieve the photo above, you just make a loop in the cable then put that loop through...

1 - 20 of 35 Posts