Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Renault Zoe R90 Signature Nav
343 Posts
Starting from £41570....If the government really and I mean really wants to make the UK green and stop selling of ICE cars by 2030, they need to help with some grants. I know that many of this SUV will be leased however, the question here is what will happened with all of them in 36 months? They will come to the market but will still comand prices much higher than the equivalent ICE cars. The electric cars supposed to be affordable alternative to the ICE cars and now...even the Zoe is close to £25 K to start with.
I hope that prices will come down in the future becaus right now a lot of people will hesitate to put all this money down just to become green.
Just my 2 cents...Don't shoot 😂

·
Registered
2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
1,045 Posts
Starting from £41570....If the government really and I mean really wants to make the UK green and stop selling of ICE cars by 2030, they need to help with some grants. I know that many of this SUV will be leased however, the question here is what will happened with all of them in 36 months? They will come to the market but will still comand prices much higher than the equivalent ICE cars. The electric cars supposed to be affordable alternative to the ICE cars and now...even the Zoe is close to £25 K to start with.
I hope that prices will come down in the future becaus right now a lot of people will hesitate to put all this money down just to become green.
Just my 2 cents...Don't shoot 😂
Used cars are priced by the market based on supply and demand. That’s not to say that there shouldn’t be more incentives for private buyers to purchase EVs, or for infrastructure to be rolled out.

·
Registered
2015 BMW i3 REx 60ah, Solar Orange
120 Posts
Starting from £41570....If the government really and I mean really wants to make the UK green and stop selling of ICE cars by 2030, they need to help with some grants.
I don't agree. I agree the Government should do more to encourage a switch, but they don't exactly have a great record with rewarding early adopters of new technologies. You've just to look at solar panels when they literally pulled the plug on the electricity buy back generating rates.

Back to your question. They've reduced the contributing grant for a new electric vehicle by half, and the car has to be under £35k. The BMW i3, Audi eTron, Tesla and many others all sit outside this cost threshold, but there's many that qualify. The car manufacturers know this, and if I'm honest are recouping their investment as the market moves from internal combustion engines to electric. Volkswagen is still fighting litigation all over the world following diesel-gate, and trying to recover from big payouts in the US. Volkswagen will also know that while the demand exists for premium quality cars in the UK, then they'll continue to produce them. That's my interpretation of the market.

·
Registered
ID.4 First Edition
112 Posts
On the flip side, looking at the specs of each trim level I'm feeling much happier about the value of the first edition and what was actually included. We got somewhere between the Life and Family specs with upgraded wheels and the fanciest paint option while costing a whole bunch less than the base Life trim. (y)

·
Registered
'18 Zoe ZE 40 R110 + '21 VW ID.4 1st
479 Posts
On the flip side, looking at the specs of each trim level I'm feeling much happier about the value of the first edition and what was actually included. We got somewhere between the Life and Family specs with upgraded wheels and the fanciest paint option while costing a whole bunch less than the base Life trim. (y)
Agreed. The only bits I feel slightly cheated on are 1) powered seats (wheel-adjusted recline on a £40k car, really...?) and 2) wireless charging pad (how expensive could that really have been...)

·
Registered
'18 Zoe ZE 40 R110 + '21 VW ID.4 1st
479 Posts
Yeah the wireless charger still baffles me, but my retrofitted one is working well.
I don't even have a phone that can use a wireless charger, I just couldn't believe it wasn't included! 😂

I was a bit disappointed we didn't get the glass roof, until I learned it weighs a lot more than the standard roof, and thus would impact efficiency... 😂

·
Alessandro Giuseppe Antonio Anastasio Volta
303 Posts
Pure models, with a smaller 52kWh battery capacity, will go on sale in the coming months costing from £32,000.

from here VW expands ID.4 line-up with new Pro Performance models

Joe Laurence, ID. family product manager at Volkswagen UK, said: “The ID.4 has officially arrived in series form with a punchy powertrain, big battery and equipment package that leaves little to be desired.

“The fact that we’re launching this just a few months after we shook up the affordable electric vehicle market with the ID.3 is testament to rapid growth in the BEV market. There’s more to come, too – entry-level powertrains, batteries and specifications will arrive in the coming weeks, which will see the ID.4 entry price fall to less than £32,000 with the new government grant.

Deliveries of the ID.4 Pro Performance are expected to commence during the first week of May.

·
Registered
EV6 GTLineS due soon - ID.3 Family gone :(
292 Posts
Does £32k really count as affordable? Seems like a bit of a piss take when the UK average salary is (apparently) £30k pre-tax.
If you consider a Golf GTD affordable, then yes.

If you don’t, then no.

Plenty of GTDs get sold/leased/ PCP’d. Or at least they used to.

·
Registered
VW Passat GTE
676 Posts
If you consider a Golf GTD affordable, then yes.

If you don’t, then no.

Plenty of GTDs get sold/leased/ PCP’d. Or at least they used to.
Affordable to me is something more like a Fiesta, Corsa or Polo. Or if you want to go to extremes, a Dacia Sandero.

I say as I prat around in my £40k Passat. But I'm well aware that it was an indulgent purchase. I also remember the days when I wished that I could afford something like a Fiesta, Corsa or Polo.

·
Registered
ID.4 First Edition
112 Posts
Does £32k really count as affordable?
Not when you can get a Leaf for £27K, no. 😅

But £32K for a base model ID4 is fairly decent, considering it's much bigger than a Leaf. If you need a big electric car then it's about as affordable as it gets right now (unless you count the MG5 EV but it's an iffy proposition in its current guise). Though quite why the ID3 base model is also £32K is completely beyond me.

·
Registered
VW Passat GTE
676 Posts
Not when you can get a Leaf for £27K, no. 😅

But £32K for a base model ID4 is fairly decent, considering it's much bigger than a Leaf. If you need a big electric car then it's about as affordable as it gets right now (unless you count the MG5 EV but it's an iffy proposition in its current guise). Though quite why the ID3 base model is also £32K is completely beyond me.
Being at the cheaper end of an expensive bunch of cars doesn't make something affordable. This is a massive barrier to entry for a lot of people, and seeing manufacturers saying shite like that really winds me up. Joe Laurence, ID. family product manager at Volkswagen UK, is a fucktard.

Anyway, totally not the topic of this thread, so I'll keep quiet from now on.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts