Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just been into my dealer about the 5th year service on my zoe, crikey £450!. Thought 4th year was bad, (brake fluid) £300. These prices will kill off 2nd hand market and have completely put me off evs. Was thinking of going electric on my main car, but not now. OK if you're handing the car back after 3 years on pcp otherwise forget it, my bmw dealer is much cheaper for. my ice.

·
Registered
2017 Renault Zoe Signature Nav R90 ZE40 Diamond Black Metallic
289 Posts
My daughter has just had her 5 year old Golf ICE serviced, which also included the service requirement that the timing belt be replaced, cost £750, so £450 is cheap!

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
17,842 Posts
Like anything, you can shop around.

Not sure why the coolant change is so high. We had a local independent who was happy to service Zoes.

Do you need the service to maintain the warranty?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Like anything, you can shop around.

Not sure why the coolant change is so high. We had a local independent who was happy to service Zoes.

Do you need the service to maintain the warranty?
Not that easy to shop around, other renault dealers near me are quoting £360 for coolant change! They've got you over a barrel as you have to have services or warranty void.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Never understood the need to change the coolant. A quick check and as long as the protection is still fine then leave it alone.
Coolant change is optional on the service sheet.

I checked mine before it went in for its 5th service earlier this year but was surprised that I was never even prompted to get the coolant changed.

Standard service for me at £78. Maybe leaving a spare cabin filter on the passenger seat was a subtle enough hint for then to just have a think before trying to up sell stuff that isnt needed.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
2,191 Posts
I think the high charge for coolant change is because they disconnect the traction battery, same as doing the brakes.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
17,842 Posts
Not that easy to shop around, other renault dealers near me are quoting £360 for coolant change! They've got you over a barrel as you have to have services or warranty void.
Your warranty is still valid when it's done at an independent.

·
Co-author of CanZE. Q210 nov 2013
4,469 Posts
I have no info about the coolant pricing, but mine is just a week back from 7th year service. All prices in EURO (divide by 1.1 to get GBP), ex VAT (do times 1.21 to get real cash spend).

service A inc pollen and wiper fluid: 100
brake fluid (material and work): 83
drop-links (material and work): 172
all wiper blades: 55

That was not unreasonable at all IMHO. On top of that, I could have had all of this, maybe exclusing reading out the computers, at the proverbial "under-the-arches"

·
Registered
Renault Zoe Intens 2013
215 Posts
That 'lockout' traction battery bumps the price right up ! - and I bet allows them some kind of excuse as to why they charge what they charge

I can just hear it now "well you see we got to get kitted out with 500v DC PPE special gloves and visors then pull the isolator ... then wait for an hour for everything to drain out and then there is the insurance just in case someone gets electrocuted and the water coolant is near the 400v DC orange cables and a spanner might slip and cut its way through all that heavily insulated 400v cable then travel up the spanner to the arm and then stop the heart .... blah blah blah I wonder how many mechanics have actually or nearly or would have done if they left the traction battery connected have come a cropper?

·
Registered
Renault Zoe Intens 2013
215 Posts
Never understood the need to change the coolant. A quick check and as long as the protection is still fine then leave it alone.
yep, in the old days of ice cars you had a simple thing , looked like a turkey baster , undo cap pull up a bit of coolant , there was a red floaty ball thing that floated to tell you the concentration of the ethylene glycol antifreeze in the coolant system water .. simplez!

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
17,842 Posts
yep, in the old days of ice cars you had a simple thing , looked like a turkey baster , undo cap pull up a bit of coolant , there was a red floaty ball thing that floated to tell you the concentration of the ethylene glycol antifreeze in the coolant system water .. simplez!
That test doesn’t tell you if it’s started to degrade and erode the aluminium.

·
Super Moderator
12,001 Posts
£330 for coolant change, £136 for normal service. Even bmw do cheaper servicing for 3+ years old cars.
You may want to look again. I doubt you can get much from a BMW dealer for £136.

Our Z4 was more than that way back in 2014.

First service on my i3 is well over £300.

Car is going in today.

·
Registered
203 Posts
That test doesn’t tell you if it’s started to degrade and erode the aluminium.
It kind of does.
OK so you're right in that it does not have any aluminium or ferrous oxide detection but as long as the level of frost protection is up where it should be, then the concentrate in the water is as good as it can be. Changing the coolant to the same protection level isn't going to add any extra protection.
Obviously if you go to check the coolant and it is thick and brown you have much larger problems and again changing the coolant isn't going to magically fix that either.

We're not in ICE vehicle territory here. You're not going to get oil in the water, you're not going to see water pump seals fail and have to keep topping it up. If you have to keep topping it up that is a problem but not something that should be addressed once every 4-5 years when the garage wants to sting you for a coolant change.

As my coolant is a nice clean colour and my tester (which is the more modern floating needle type, not like that old school turkey baser Andy has ;) ) shows it is good for -37c I'll save the money. It went through the last service without issue so you'd hope that if they found anything odd it would have been mentioned.

Hmmm, thinking about it the whole thing comes down to whether you are a tinkerer or not. If you are happy to pay someone else to do it for you then fair enough, but you can't really complain about the bill. I've never liked giving any job to someone else that I couldn't do myself, so a £4 tool off ebay and a quick check under the bonnet saves me some cash then I'll go for that. If I learn something new in the process even better.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Just been into my dealer about the 5th year service on my zoe, crikey £450!. Thought 4th year was bad, (brake fluid) £300. These prices will kill off 2nd hand market and have completely put me off evs. Was thinking of going electric on my main car, but not now. OK if you're handing the car back after 3 years on pcp otherwise forget it, my bmw dealer is much cheaper for. my ice.
6th year service on our Volvo V70 D5 was £970 (cam&aux belt service)
4th year service on our Lexus GS was £760 (spark plug service)

Tell me again how much cheaper ICE car servicing is?

·
Co-author of CanZE. Q210 nov 2013
4,469 Posts
Hmmm, thinking about it the whole thing comes down to whether you are a tinkerer or not. If you are happy to pay someone else to do it for you then fair enough, but you can't really complain about the bill.
^This^ It's exactly the same argument for the (too expensive) 12 volt battery, wiper blades, whatnot.

Personally, I would challenge 300+ for any sort of fluid change, especially if not communicated beforehand so I could assess for myself if I deemed it DIY territory or not. Might I add for the sake of discussion, that the HV disconnect explanation is AFAIK pure speculation. To be honest, none of it makes sense to me, which circles back to "would challenge the 300+".

And if I may add to that another personal opinion: the "the dealer is picking you empty because xyz" sort of comments are getting mightily old. The market is very competitive and customers don't give shite about brand/dealer loyalty. It just doesn't make sense. But anyway, that's me I guess.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You may want to look again. I doubt you can get much from a BMW dealer for £136.

Our Z4 was more than that way back in 2014.

First service on my i3 is well over £300.

Car is going in today.
My point was the bmw is a lot cheaper than £450 not £136.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts