Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 146 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone seen the advert for the new hybrid Toyota?

Set in New Orleans or some jazz place, they make a big song and dance of it, and proudly claim there is "no need to plug in"!

What a bunch of c***s. Not only are they persisting with hydrogen fool cells but they are now suggesting that plug in vehicles are bad.

Can this company be any more anti EV?

Tossers.

Rant over.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
57 Posts
I think it is annoying that the likes of Toyota and Honda were ahead of the game with hybrids but now it seems they want to bury their heads in the sand as they are now being out classed by EVs.
I have just got rid of my Honda Jazz (same as the Fit in the US) but their new model looked good but now feels a lot cheaper.
Shame in a way but it opened my options and that is why I have a Renault Zoe now
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,800 Posts
Except for the 10 minute drive out off your way in traffic, 2 minute queue to plug in ,two minutes you have to stand there by law watching over the charging process , lawfully enforced breathing of carcegenic gas, the 5 minute queue behind the guy umming and erring over over topoic or KitKat, walk back through the fumes, queue to get out the charging station...the back home to where you could have plugged in within 55 seconds.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
610 Posts
I think toyota not putting out a BEV isn't good for EV image. It discredits BEV and gives people the excuse well hydrogen is the way forward. I thought the same until I educated myself. Toyota is an amazing car maker (IMO) and the reputation of the prius is legendary. It's been out forever, it's reliable and cheap to run. If they put out a Bev tomorrow it would outsell the other cars easily IMO that's how strong Toyotas brand is.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,493 Posts
Totally agree, Toyota is in a bit of bother in China now too. They along with all other manufacturers have to sell 8% of all their cars as EVs in 2018, 10% in 2019 and 12% in 2020. Oh and just to knacker them completely the prius has been reclassified in China as a petrol car. This is going to be a huge problem for them, you cannot ignore the chinese market. On a positive note whatever Trump tries to kill EVs it ain't goner work now.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,591 Posts
I just got this pinned into my inbox.

Despite owning a Lexus I really really now wish Toyota/Lexus go the way of Nokia.

Cannot wait to trade ours in for a plugin EV.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
291 Posts
what I find funny is they have just released the Prius plug in with a great fanfair, so are they saying the Prius plug in is inconvenient and outdated but the Yaris is not, despite having the same hybrid "technology" the Prius has employed for years!
 

·
Zoe Devotee
Joined
·
8,353 Posts
Hydrogen car... expels only water vapour.... commonly known as the biggest unaccounted for contribution to global warming!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,046 Posts
Hydrogen car... expels only water vapour.... commonly known as the biggest unaccounted for contribution to global warming!
Precisely so. Water vapour is 97% of all greenhouse gas. And making the hydrogen in the first place produces the other 3% in CO2 as an emission from the equipment.
 

·
42k miles on public charging. Am I an expert yet?
Joined
·
2,631 Posts
Oh and just to knacker them completely the prius has been reclassified in China as a petrol car.
So it ruddy well should be!

How much time does the typical Prius actually spend being driven on electric? It can't be more than 5%, surely?

Cars should be categorised according to their primary fuel source - the whole half-baked-hybrid thing really needs to be a thing of the past now.
 

·
2quidforhalfanhour
Joined
·
257 Posts
I actually saw the ad and couldn't believe what I was seeing.
So it's really convenient to bypass a plug covered for some reason in cobwebs, and then it's super cool to go and fill the thing up with petrol??
Honestly I just don't get the logic.
Or is it as above they don't have a BEV of their own so try and put a positive spin on a clearly unwinnable argument.
Truly shocking.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,046 Posts
What is a bit of a mystery is that they made a Rav 4 BEV many years ago that gave good range for the day and also decent load and passenger space. Such a car updated in line with new developments would have lived alongside the Prius concept quite well and enabled Toyota fans to influence the way they moved for the future.
 
1 - 20 of 146 Posts
Top