Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

41 - 60 of 146 Posts

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
It's a shame because my parents' Lexus has nigh on 100,000 miles on the clock and you wouldn't know to either drive or sit in it. It's a really nice place to be and you can see why Lexus attracts devotees. If they'd only apply that level of commitment to a Lexus BEV they'd be stealing Tesla market share hand over fist.

·
Ecohound
1,293 Posts
desperate attempts by a desperately behind company losing ground by only offering hybrids
Actually I think their market share is increasing looking at the number of hybrids that are being sold. Plus over a long range their hybrids are more economical than the half baked German PHEV'S and surely better for us all than Diesel offerings. However I do agree that they should stop the anti EV stance and smell the coffee or they will loose out in the not too distant future.
EV_april-2017.jpg

·
Registered
902 Posts
Actually I think their market share is increasing looking at the number of hybrids that are being sold. Plus over a long range their hybrids are more economical than the half baked German PHEV'S and surely better for us all than Diesel offerings. However I do agree that they should stop the anti EV stance and smell the coffee or they will loose out in the not too distant future.
View attachment 35689
That table doesn't look like growth to me? Looks a bit stagnant

·
42k miles on public charging. Am I an expert yet?
2,654 Posts
View attachment 35689
What on earth is "other electric"?

·
Registered
972 Posts
I am so disappointed in Toyota. I loved my Prius, well built, very reliable and well equipped. It is the Prius that opened my eyes to the possibility of running on electricity 100% of the time.

The number of EV drivers that have a Prius as a second car or have come from a Prius is very high.

I agree with the previous poster who said they would have blindly bought a Toyota BEV, just from their Prius experience.

I hope they quickly realise and turn back from the blind alley they have found themselves going down.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Some suggest Toyota are targeting the green car lanes in California with a conventional car. The lanes are open to cars that have a mains plug irrespective of what the plug is used for. People are afraid of the unknown*, and Toyota is addressing ignorance and fear among certain consumer types by highlighting that the plug does not need to do anything.

* some demographics have never heard of vehicles that can run on multiple different fuels; possibly the same groups who claim to have never used the Internet (while posting selfies to Facebook)

·
Registered
902 Posts
Its a car at the end of the day and reflects the fact that not everyone believes in man made climate change, and I am one of them. What I do want is cleaner fresher air at the roadside and in cities and towns, or in your house if you live on a busy road or one with traffic lights.

All that said, the advert will only appeal to the people who don't give a shit and they would have bought a petrol or diesel anyway - so no loss there. Any car that reduces its emissions is a winner IMO.

That said I am all for solar and wind, but only as a way to remove our dependancy on foreign oil, and as I said clean air to breathe at the road side.

So is it a bad thing to have an alternative outlook on motoring ? because thats what this advert is!
I suppose you can believe in what you want, I mean, some people believe in various gods which makes about as much sense as flat earthing or ignoring science.

That aside.

The reason the advert is "rubbing us up the wrong way" is because it's using the "nintendon't" technique of discrediting other technologies/cars/companies in order to try to convince you that it's better.

<desaturate screen> Tired of hanging washing out to dry?
<oversaturate screen> Try the new JML laundry heap! Works in days instead of hours! Costs next to nothing! Infuses your laundry with a unique attractive scent! Take yours to the checkout now!

Sad thing is - and this is why it annoys me - but people still fall for these marketing techniques. Every. Single. Time.

So I suppose you can't hate them for doing it. Instead focus on hating people for being so stupid.
(slight sarcasm...maybe)

Remember, to be this good takes SEGA AGES. (showing my age again)

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Call the marketing regulators?

·
Registered
234 Posts
I was pretty annoyed to see this ad too. But let's put this into perspective...

1. It shows that Toyota (or at least their marketing people) are taking EV's seriously enough that they consider them real competitors to their hybrid models.

2. Toyota sells way more hybrids than anyone else. Let's not forget that from an environmental perspective, hybrids are still a very good thing. Of course we'd all like a world with 100% BEVs eventually, but that isn't realistically going to happen everywhere for at least 1-2 decades.

Every "diseasel" that is replaced with a hybrid is great for our air quality! And given a limited supply of batteries, a world with 100% hybrids would actually be a lot better for urban air and noise than a world with, say, 20% BEVs and the rest being conventional petrol and diesels.

3. There is, unfortunately, a grain of truth to the way that public charging infrastructure is portrayed in the ad. Most EV owners would admit that we need a lot more, better maintained public charging infrastructure in our towns and cities.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
If (Man Made) Global Warming was a total scientific fact, then all the governments of the world would be doing far more about it than they are.
@Umpa, do you take your views from Ebola outbreaks, and whether they were "total scientific fact"? I ask because leading governments like UK have been berated for reacting far too slowly to Ebola, and many others did nothing at all.

For a current example, WHO reported in the last week 'Ebola virus disease – Democratic Republic of the Congo' and Trump has not commented.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Chalk and Cheese comes to mind here.
Responses to Chalk, Cheese, Ebola, and Global Warming are normally discussed by the same government in each nation. It is unusual for nations to create new governments each time a new topic arrises.

·
Registered
902 Posts
I'am surprised you have not mentioned simulation theory - why is that ?
Now we're talking - this is a truly interesting topic isn't it though? I've looked into this briefly and can't say I am an expert in the field by any means, I simply read about it, but my understanding is that it's pretty much impossible to disprove. And yet, it's also pretty much entirely likely that we absolutely must be in a simulation many many layers deep.

Messes with your mind, don't it?

Shall we talk about parallel universes next? I struggle to spell parallel properly. Paralell..no I was right the first time. Parallell. Hmm.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Why not throw in the starving Cambodians of the 1980's whilst your about it ? Or is it that you already know that nothing could be done for them as they are living in an area that ....................... bugger it - I can't be arsed any more.. Whatever......
top posting that is.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Why not throw in the starving Cambodians of the 1980's whilst your about it ? Or is it that you already know that nothing could be done for them as they are living in an area that ....................... bugger it - I can't be arsed any more.. Whatever......
Your assertion was that if governments are not acting on a perceived problem, then the problem is not based on scientific fact.

To support your argument, you need examples of government inaction in the face of lobbyists who were later proven to be wrong. Citing any government action, good or bad, does support your argument - and neither does giving up and running away ;)

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Please explain how/why they sought your advice?

41 - 60 of 146 Posts