Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My front tyres have suddenly started losing tread pieces on the outermost part of the tread.

I keep them all at 37psi cold rising to 39 on motorway run which I don't think is too low or overly high either. They are 4.5 years and 25,000 miles old, but they shouldn't be perishing yet but it looks like they are, and I have not been curbing them.

I have 2 nice Goodyears on order for fitting Friday. Saved 20% over Solus quote for non-descript cheapies :-
Goodyear Excellence
215/55 R17 W (94) x2 £219.58 incl vat & fitting. (Black Circles.com)

I know I will prefer these.

I don't think 25k miles is too bad actually, but did this rapid deterioration happen to anyone else?

The sad part was it was in Solus for insurance rear bumper replacement following me having an argument with a hidden solid thing in the overgrown verge just where I was doing a 3 point turn in some very narrow Devon roads near Zeal Monachorum. They refused to drive the car to return it to me, which alerted me to the problem. Hey ho! That's £600 this week what with the excess as well, and the rears are close to finished as well, maybe 3 months if I'm lucky.

-- Richard Goldsmith : Ampera (2012). EVangelist & Sustainability Champion.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Had mine replaced a couple of months ago, National Tyre man really concerned at perished condition. Only went in to see if had a slow puncture FNS as tyre pressure monitor kept warning me ( interestingly still does??) 22k miles from new May 2012.
So, that indicates a batch issue to me!
Thanks Mike. At least I need not worry about my usage patterns.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here is how they looked

The tread in the centre is deeper, indicating that the pressure was too low and I had kept them 4-5 psi above handbook recommendation. I have the new ones at 43 psi cold and we'll see if they wear evenly. The rear's are less unevenly worn so I'll change them to 40.
I still think they are faulty batch and we know they were manufactured in Sept 2011, so not hanging around for years before the car was made.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That looks nasty
Quite alarming actually. I don't blame Solus for refusing to drive it once they had spotted the issue. There is canvas exposed under one of those flappy bits. I was lucky not to get a puncture. No obvious understeer because of it, so visual inspection was only symptom.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Not been near any of those kind of speed bumps.
The rears are beginning to show signs, but not as bad, and there is more tread depth on the outside. Same inflation setting - higher than handbook recommended, so not technically under inflated, just empirically retrospectively seems like under inflation.

Some people swear by Michelin. I swear AT them.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
At least I got 25k miles which some have beaten but is not unreasonable in itself. I would rather have the extra grip than the extra miles anyway, just a pity to get neither!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Very few of my miles overall are on straight roads like motorways and dual carriageways, so the 25k I have done is biased towards more cornering, so I was never going to get top mileage.

Brakes look good as new though!

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I seem to remember that once, a tyre had a lifetime warranty against faulty manufacture. Is this still true?

My 2012 car needed all four tyres replacing at around 27,000 miles with plenty of tread left.
The rubber though was peeling away from the carcass and the steering was pulling hard over to the left.

How can four years be old for a tyre, my other cars have had tyres way older.

Will never again fit Michelins and have fitted A rated Goodyears for rolling resistance and wet grip.
I've gone the same route for the same reasons. Let's compare notes in 4 years time!

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
I agree, and intend to change them next week to the Goodyear jobbies like Russ. I don't feel safe with these cracked tyres anymore especially after seeing what happened to Lee Daltons tyre.
I think he said his were OK. I'm was mine that looked alarming.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Mine were certainly never going to make that distance. Now I have the Goodyears on the front I wish the Michelins had lasted less than the 25k they did! They are so much quieter and more positive with the direction changes. I won't care if these only last 20K if they grip like this all the way through!

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Guys,
FWIW I've just taken a close look at my Michelins, fitted Sept 2012 (or just before) when the car was new. These have done about 25-30,000 miles (hard to be precise, I ran winters last winter & right now) and mostly have about 4mm tread remaining in the middle.

I can see no abnormal degradation in mine, so I'm happy with them. That said, I drive pretty gently, and hardly ever use max acceleration at low speeds. Thinking about that, I wondered; is it possible that the enormous torque available at zero mph means that anyone hoofing it a traffic-light grand-prix race is likely to be ripping the tread from the carcase? I suspect these Eco tyres weren't a special design for EVs, rather a general-purpose Eco tyre for all sorts of conventional ICE cars, and EVs just happen to benefit strongly from Eco tyres?
I can hardly claim I never floored it from a standing start when there are pictures of mine at Santa Pod. I still find it odd that torque which does not break traction can cause damage, so I am inclined to discount that possibility, as causative.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
They did offer free replacement if you have not yet removed them, earlier. The route to compensation after having removed them for safety reasons even if you retain them made if not worth the effort.
I was so disgusted with mine I lost all faith in the brand. Still very happy with my Goodyear replacements.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #93 ·
A couple of friends were banging on about them, so I considered it. Goodyear Efficient grips then?

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk
My choice, yes. I was very alienated towards Michelin by the original reasons for this thread and the lack of satisfactory interest or explanation from the Michelin rep who chipped in.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.