Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

61 - 80 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
@Russ are does anyone have dot codes.
I'm posting my codes and pictures as I've linked to this thread from my buyers guide.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Just to add to the debate. I have owned my MY13 for about 8 months now. Passed first MoT last December car passed ok. I checked my tyres today and was surprised to find that two tyres had been replaced previously. Near side front and off side rear are both 2015 tyres, near side rear and off side front are both 2012 tyres. The new tyres are same make and type of the originals. I have attached photos of the two 2012 tyre walls and there is cracking, if anyone can advise of their viability I would be grateful, they both have a lot of tread. The 2015 tyres seem fine. The car was previously owned by a Vauxhall dealers manager, car has now done 29000 miles.
Im wondering if having the two 2012 tyres that have more wear and are on diametrically opposed corners would affect handling. Some months ago I did negotiate a corner a little faster than normal to test handling and there was a flicker from the traction control light but I haven't seen that since.
If the advice is to replace the two 2012 tyres then I think the recommendation is to use Goodyear Efficient-grip Performance XL. I assume they would be best fitted to the front and the two 2015 Michelins to the rear?
In case its of interest tyre codes are
Front N/S DOT HD3F 011X 4715
Rear N/S DOT HD3F 011X 0412
Rear O/S DOT HD3F 011X 4715
Front O/S DOT HD3F 011X 0412

Attachments

·
Registered
401 Posts
Same happened to me i pm'd Jamie but got no reply, it was too late, Bellingers had thrown out the old ones just before I realised i might get compensation but needed to send the old ones back. C'est la vie ....

·
Registered
248 Posts
@Jamie McW was really helpful for me - the factory Michelins on the front had some rot I'd missed, but then they warped which I couldn't miss.

I'm on a pair of replacement Michelins on the front - many thanks for this Jamie.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Mine are pretty bad. Lots of cracking on the sidewall and a few chunks missing here and there. I'm on 76000 miles so I'm amazed they have lasted so long.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Had the the corroding alloys plus tyres failing problem. Wheels were replaced under warranty without to much arguement. The tyres were replaced with Goodyears much quieter and no longer an over excitable traction/stability control. After a bit of negotiation the dealer price for the tyres was only about £20 more than Black circles and the local independents. Tyres didn't look as bad as some of the photos posted here but dealer insisted on me signing disclaimer when I took the car home while waiting for the new wheels to be delivered. A bit daft as they had given it an MOT and only picked up the tyre problem during the service afterwards.

Tried a pm to our friend at Michelin on 30 March but haven't had a reply, probably still trying to dig his way out of the pile of emails from unhappy customers..

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Had the the corroding alloys plus tyres failing problem
Snap
The Goodyears seem sit better and now no complaints if I zip round a bend instead of lights and power loss. Mine went on at a Formula1 Autocentre with everyone asking questions about the Ampera - first one they had seen

·
Registered
186 Posts
Just had mine replaced at 76500 miles. The O/S/F tyre was pretty good (4-5mm) with a few chunks missing however the N/S/F tyre had lots of chunks missing and wear on the outer edges, still had 4mm in the middle. I think the missing chunks of thread are probably due to potholes. Not sure about the worn outer edges, it would normally mean low tyre pressure but they are always set at 39 psi. Could be a steering / suspension geometry issue, the N/S/F has taken some abuse from potholes over the years

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Last few weeks I've noticed I am getting a bit of steering wheel wobble (and feeling through the seat) between about 35 and 40. Not below 30 nor above 40. I think this is what another contributor reported in this thread. My Michelins are all 2012 tyres and I'd been thinking about swapping them all in the next couple of months for Goodyears, even before the wobble. I wonder if I've got the structural issue that was mentioned here that produced the wobble. Could be time to visit Denmead Tyres and have the balance and tyres checked...

·
Ampera aka IGOR
2,916 Posts
Mine started with a slight wobble and vibration through the seat but it could be driven through. Tyre had developed a bulge and at real slow speed you could see the steering wheel move as the bulge came round to contact the road.

·
OtleyBrock
8 Posts
It's been a while since any addition to this thread, but I've just encountered the cracking problem. I'd noticed it a little while ago but yesterday my 64 Ampera (26,000 miles) went in for its service and MoT. Dealer sent me a video showing the cracking on 3 tyres and some chunks missing from inside of OSF. (The problem free 4th tyre is newer because of unrepairable puncture.) Fortunately the cracks did not affect the MoT. I have messaged Michelin, waiting for a response.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
They did offer free replacement if you have not yet removed them, earlier. The route to compensation after having removed them for safety reasons even if you retain them made if not worth the effort.
I was so disgusted with mine I lost all faith in the brand. Still very happy with my Goodyear replacements.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've been experiencing factory fitted Michelins on EVs for a while, on PSA EVs. Pretty much every one of them has ended its life by the belt failing inside the casing, causing the tyre to go out of shape, the car to wobble and drastically increasing the wh/mile. We're talking dozens of tyres over 20 years now!
I've seen the cracking around the edge as well. That was more prevalent on later tyres IIRC.

A lot of this is due to cars coming to me after having sat for a while, or otherwise doing little miles on years old tyres, and perhaps my tendency to inflate them to the maximum rated pressure, but still, I've never seen an occurrence of that on any other brand. And I do always replace them with another brand.

·
OtleyBrock
8 Posts
Having now reached a (negative) conclusion with Michelin I thought I'd provide an update. FYI, a couple of shots of the front tyre.
Michelin deterioration P1110470 sml.JPG Michelin deterioration P1110471 sml.JPG
I raised the issue via their support system and was guided to a local Michelin agent who were helpful and went through the process of raising a claim. I subsequently got 2 emails sent in the same minute saying my claim had been submitted and it was rejected.
I queried this and was told that the processing is automatic based on the information in the submitted form. As this was also the first time I had seen the form I responded, challenging its content.
This was what I said in my email:
"Thank you for the reply, which explains how a speedy response is possible. However it does not explain to me how the computer algorithm takes account of the actual type of failure seen or appreciates the video evidence that I submitted. I assume that the submitted information was that on the claim form, which clearly fails to reflect the actual damage:
Date 09/17/2018
Type of allegation Tyre damage: Cut, opening, tear

- no - Age related deterioration of tyre
Allegation Split, opening, separation, tear sidewall
- no - cracking and breaking away of rubber pieces from tread across tyre, esp inner and outer shoulders
Damage Description Tyres are cracking and sidewalls are perishing
- no - tyre tread is cracking and perishing, rubber pieces are breaking away
There is no mention from me anywhere of any concerns about the sidewalls, mentioned twice in your claim form."
-
I got a quick reply saying that my case had been escalated and I should get a response in a couple of days. Well, the response time stretched a bit, I had to chase a couple of times, but eventually I got a personal reply, turning me down.
It said:
"I have been informed of your complaint regarding the Michelin tyres fitted to your vehicle. I attach a copy of the complaint form prepared by your tyre dealer and a photograph of an example tyre, which I believe that you forwarded to the Michelin Customer Services team.
The description entered by the tyre dealer ‘tyres are cracking and sidewalls are perishing’ is in my opinion an accurate description of what I can see in the photograph.
The condition of the tyre in the photograph has developed as a result of exposure to the atmosphere and natural elements during use. Such natural deterioration can be accelerated by exposure of the tyre to high concentrations of ozone, aggressive chemicals or cleaning agents, or strong ultraviolet light. The tyre is more vulnerable if it is allowed to stand for periods without use.
I note that these tyres were manufactured in the second week of 2012 which makes them some 7 years old. I also note your tyre dealer has entered on the report that the tyres have completed more than 25000 miles.
Considering the above information, I confirm that the condition of the tyre is a consequence of normal use and exposure to the elements and I am therefore not in a position to grant any allowance."
-
I'm not unduly bothered or surprised, because he is right that these are 6+ year old 26,000 mile tyres so it is a bit of stretch to expect any financial recompense. However it's disappointing that there is no acknowledgement that tyres having bits falling off like this is not good and something they would like to investigate. In my reply I have accepted his turn down of my claim but commented that the failure is perhaps associated with the torque characteristics of the electric drive, given that the rears are showing similar ageing but not actually shedding pieces of tread rubber. I've also said it is not unknown, referencing this thread.
Anyway, with it sorted I'll shortly be taking this advice and ordering some Goodyears.

61 - 80 of 93 Posts