Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Zoe R90 randomly stops charging, just seems to go to sleep – no blue light. As soon as I touch the keyfob it does checks and continues. The effect is beyond a charging issue – I’m too tired to explain how it translates to real life – the “not-knowing” what mileage you’ll have when you open the door. Ive set my alarm to go off 2am, 4am, 6am etc so I can look out to see if the blue light is on, and if it is off, tiptoeing outside in dressing gown to see if it is 100% or not. I think there is some kind of app I could use, but have hesitated to start using it in case I’d be accused of some kind of scheduling, which I’ve never done. It happens on 7kw (home, and last week a public 7kw one). It hasn’t shown problems on 21kw/3kw, but those charges would prob be too quick/too slow to manifest it. Ive noticed it mostly going from abt 20% to 58-77%. I’m just so tired and massively late, or getting to places slightly late with 20miles and a frenzied Anneka-Rice-type scavenger hunt for a working charger in the rain..and then the “wait”... It’s not just me and my car, but if an electric car doesn’t have the expected range, if its mileage always a surprise, it’s not really “a car” as we know it. Surely there must be some expertise resolving this kind of issue?

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
6,891 Posts
I'd bet you a quid the 12v battery is flakey. It's normally changed at the 3 year service. Mine did it once or twice in its run up to the 3 year service.

It's definitely something to get Renault involved with fixing if it's already had the battery replaced as if you can't trust the car to be at a state of charge that you need then it's an expensive driveway ornament.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What home charger do you have?
(don't know!) It's chargemaster 7kw30A single ph, It was originally H7S2/NC, but they replaced the unit with new type and new blue cable after charging issues.

·
Registered
16,769 Posts
(don't know!) It's chargemaster 7kw30A single ph, It was originally H7S2/NC, but they replaced the unit with new type and new blue cable after charging issues.
I think someone else had issues with a Zoe on a Chargemaster.

Can you test the car on a destination AC charger somewhere?

·
Registered
220 Posts
I suspect 12v battery as well. Never had this happen on the two Zoe’s that we have had but same thing happened to me on my Niro PHEV and that was down to battery.

·
Registered
16,769 Posts
I suspect 12v battery as well. Never had this happen on the two Zoe’s that we have had but same thing happened to me on my Niro PHEV and that was down to battery.
What do we think is happening here? Is the 12V battery getting to low because it doesn’t get charged, even though the car is being charged?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'd bet you a quid the 12v battery is flakey. It's normally changed at the 3 year service. Mine did it once or twice in its run up to the 3 year service.

It's definitely something to get Renault involved with fixing if it's already had the battery replaced as if you can't trust the car to be at a state of charge that you need then it's an expensive driveway ornament.
It's so difficult to pin down, because if you're just topping up, it doesnt reveal itself. .and you dont know if failed outside charges are to do with the car, or point. The worst one was leaving it July 19 charging next to 2 zoes in Cambridge Madingley Rd 7kw park&ride, getting back (after long no Sat bus search) by taxi 11.30pm and finding no charge, 29 odd miles, Polar couldnt connect (my lead), limped to service stn, got back 3.30am+, missed day, forgot toll, so tired! and you dont know why! I've lately driven thousands of miles just to run it down to see if it charges!..and it's only got to let you down once, after that if there's an appointment, you have to keep getting up in night to check charging ok- it's like it's watching out for me - when I sleep, it sleeps, when it knows I'm at theatre it dozes off. It's coming up for 3years, but I started to be puzzled quite early on, so the 12v battery should have been ok then, but will give change a go.. Lately it stopped charging at a long stay public 7kw at 77oct.. I suppose I should be using some kind of app?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's so difficult to pin down, because if you're just topping up, it doesnt reveal itself. .and you dont know if failed outside charges are to do with the car, or point. The worst one was leaving it July 19 charging next to 2 zoes in Cambridge Madingley Rd 7kw park&ride, getting back (after long no Sat bus search) by taxi 11.30pm and finding no charge, 29 odd miles, Polar couldnt connect (my lead), limped to service stn, got back 3.30am+, missed day, forgot toll, so tired! and you dont know why! I've lately driven thousands of miles just to run it down to see if it charges!..and it's only got to let you down once, after that if there's an appointment, you have to keep getting up in night to check charging ok- it's like it's watching out for me - when I sleep, it sleeps, when it knows I'm at theatre it dozes off. It's coming up for 3years, but I started to be puzzled quite early on, so the 12v battery should have been ok then, but will give change a go.. Lately it stopped charging at a long stay public 7kw at 77oct.. I suppose I should be using some kind of app?
77pct

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
..because as soon as I wake it, it always happily continues...
..and it would even be workable if there were more public points to retop, especially multiple-points-at-on-place.. or even a queue system at Clacket's M25, where found 5 cars for 2 points (don't know if there's more now, havent chanced going back)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
many thanks for you help on this - have booked it in early for 3 years service which replaces 12v.
tried it again yesterday on same 7kw public chargepoint where it stopped after 4hrs 77% 25th Feb 2°C This time it went fully to 100% in 6hrs (7hrs forecast) in 7°C-5°C. The part charges seem happen more in the cold, but it feels random!

·
Registered
16,769 Posts
many thanks for you help on this - have booked it in early for 3 years service which replaces 12v.
tried it again yesterday on same 7kw public chargepoint where it stopped after 4hrs 77% 25th Feb 2°C This time it went fully to 100% in 6hrs (7hrs forecast) in 7°C-5°C. The part charges seem happen more in the cold, but it feels random!
It will be interesting to know if this cures it. A few people seem to have a similar issue.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It will be interesting to know if this cures it. A few people seem to have a similar issue.
- A few people seem to have noticed a similar issue - it only reveals itself with high mileage use/need. If you are doing small local mileage and topping up, you'd never know, and that seems the life of most zoe's. I dont think its battery, because it was puzzling enough early on for chargemaster to replace unit/cable/check etc quite early on. Now it's nearly 3yrs, I'm doing more long distance, down to 20% and, seemingly just randomly, it doesnt charge to 100%. 21kw wouldnt notice, 3kw has always been fine. other charging failures in public points could be down to anything. Does the car itself keep any record, if I dont activate eservices, some kind of app?

·
Registered
Renault ZOE R135 ZE50 GTLine July 2020 (Sold: R90 ZE40 i Dynamic Nav June 2017)
609 Posts
If you have an account, My ZE Online summarises your charging sessions like this:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
many thanks, sounds better than nothing, will try to set up ZE Online on cracked phone. (can see point of spare smart phone, especially trying to connect to random chargepoints). Suppose non-charging for one reason or another makes electric cars even more environmentally friendly...

·
Registered
Renault ZOE R135 ZE50 GTLine July 2020 (Sold: R90 ZE40 i Dynamic Nav June 2017)
609 Posts
The screenshot was from a PC on a normal browser window, so you could use a PC to access this if you want. The mobile app just uses a browser window anyway, and the info is the same.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
thanks for suggestions to change R90 12v battery - which did end May as part of 3yr service (though assume new 12v now unwell longterm, as I just left READY for 36hrs, someone noticed headlights on in dark (took 60 miles off charge..).
however week before that, with new 12v, the car had again stopped at 58% from about 20% when left charging overnight (home 7kw, previously happened both home and public 7kw). This time the boot seemed to open without me using the key, I was thinking perhaps the car turned off auto if not locked, (or boot not properly shut) but the headlights affair seems to show it doesnt

1 - 19 of 19 Posts