1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone

MY13 Ampera had just failed it's MOT.

EML and engine misfire.
They found 2 fault codes present for emissions which are from the oxygen sensors reading too much oxygen intake. Smoke tested the vehicle and traces the fault to the rocker cover which is letting smoke out.

Anybody else had this before and should I let Vauxhall fix it as price quoted including 25% discount is £320?

Many thanks

Paul

·
Registered
454 Posts
Sorry to hear that. My May 2012 sailed through at its 8th service recently, only has 36,000 miles on clock if that might have any bearing?
Just so you know the value of my input, my mechanical knowledge meant you lost me after EML and engine misfire.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
28,691 Posts
I would say if they reckon they can fix it for £320 it is not worth spending time looking up the very large manual on such things!

... sorry, perhaps not the technical answer you might have hoped from me, but hope that helps, just pay the piper and get on with your life. Complicated car, complicated life, no need to add to it all.

If £320 are your hardware costs for the year, then that's freakin' cheap motoring!! ;)

FWIW, the rocker cover is not just a rocker cover, it is actually the air intake 'hose'. They doubled it up on function to keep the induction noise lower. So if that is cracked, then of course your emissions will be shit. Just replace. Must be a simple job at £320 all in.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you everyone for your help, Donald thank you, this is the 1st thing that has really gone wrong with mine and it's now done 172k but only owned it for 18 months. Really has cost me nothing in all that time so can't grumble with the £320 as long as that fixes the issue.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
The Ampera was a brilliantly designed and built car. Still looks good today. It's a real shame that it priced itself out of the market when launched as it was so far ahead of the competition.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Do you know what the exact problem is with the rocker cover? If cracked then as others said, let Vauxhall fix it unless you can get a second hand/breakers part for cheap. If it's leaking then are you sure it isn't just the gasket that's gone. The gasket replacement kits are just a few pounds and as simple as removing old cover, remove old gasket and clean up surfaces then replace new gasket and cover, torque up bolts to correct setting.

·
Registered
4 Posts
A quick Google search suggests the cover and gasket are about £100.

I would guess maybe an hour's work to change. Personally I would DIY it, if you don't fancy that any decent garage should be able to sort.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Do you know what the exact problem is with the rocker cover? If cracked then as others said, let Vauxhall fix it unless you can get a second hand/breakers part for cheap. If it's leaking then are you sure it isn't just the gasket that's gone. The gasket replacement kits are just a few pounds and as simple as removing old cover, remove old gasket and clean up surfaces then replace new gasket and cover, torque up bolts to correct setting.
No I'm not sure exact problem only what they showed me and then said what I needed, I do wish I was more mechanically minded but unfortunately I'm not.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A quick Google search suggests the cover and gasket are about £100.

I would guess maybe an hour's work to change. Personally I would DIY it, if you don't fancy that any decent garage should be able to sort.
I did think about a normal garage but then if it goes back and fails MOT again because of something else I can say well I'm not paying for the rocker cover if that was not the problem.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
I did think about a normal garage but then if it goes back and fails MOT again because of something else I can say well I'm not paying for the rocker cover if that was not the problem.
You can try that, but that's not generally how fault finding and repair on cars work. They have evidence the gasket is leaking, so they'll replace it. There's no guarantee that was the root cause. You'll still pay for it.

Take it elsewhere to get fixed, save the money now.

·
28,691 Posts
Exactly. If they said they'll fix it and get it through the MoT, then that is the contract. If it is more, tough on them, that's their job to complete if they accept that contract.

£320 to make something someone else's problem is cheap money for anything.

You can try that, but that's not generally how fault finding and repair on cars work. ....
Well, not in this country. Not any more. It is how it 'should' work, and how it does in some places elsewhere, and even in this country if you find 'honourable businesses'.

... not found one myself recently ...

Bl00dy slack pathetic British "workmanship". If you pay for work/diagnosis, then you are paying to get the result, not for some freakin' dumb shit to waste a bit of his time 'playing around' with your high-value investment.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Exactly. If they said they'll fix it and get it through the MoT, then that is the contract. If it is more, tough on them, that's their job to complete if they accept that contract.

£320 to make something someone else's problem is cheap money for anything.

Well, not in this country. Not any more. It is how it 'should' work, and how it does in some places elsewhere, and even in this country if you find 'honourable businesses'.

... not found one myself recently ...

Bl00dy slack pathetic British "workmanship". If you pay for work/diagnosis, then you are paying to get the result, not for some freakin' dumb shit to waste a bit of his time 'playing around' with your high-value investment.
What world do you live in?

No business would adopt that level of risk. There are just too many variables to replace, and unboxing new parts to fault-trace only to remove again (because you're not getting it for free) only leads to a pile of barely used part.

Why don't you open a garage that applies that principal of repairs? You seem to know how everything works and the definition of "honourable". Report back in 3 months when you're out of business.

·
28,691 Posts
What world do you live in?

No business would adopt that level of risk.
The level of risk is to put you back in the condition you were in if they get it wrong.

Put the old parts back and hand me my £320 back. Risk to them is £320.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
The level of risk is to put you back in the condition you were in if they get it wrong.

Put the old parts back and hand me my £320 back. Risk to them is £320.
Except it's not, because you've just doubled the labour cost and you don't refit a gasket once you've removed it. Because then you definitely will have a sealing issue.

Come back to Earth.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I think that this is where so many modern businesses fall down. Of course, it is most important to manage the financial side but this is not the only consideration when it comes to running a business. Maintaining a good reputation through honest and honourable customer relations is so often missing these days and this omission is one of the main reasons why businesses lose the customer and subsequently fail.

I know, I was that customer . . .

·
28,691 Posts
Except it's not, because you've just doubled the labour cost and you don't refit a gasket once you've removed it. Because then you definitely will have a sealing issue.

Come back to Earth.
'The customer' has doubled nothing.

You said "No business would adopt that level of risk. " .. what level of risk were you referring to? Unlimited risk?

Well, at least the market value of the car. But do they not adopt that level of risk every time they take the car off your hands and it is in their 'care'?

Not sure what you are saying, really?

If a 'professional organisation' proposes X and gets paid for proposing X, then it should damned well be right. If they were not certain of it, they should neither propose it nor charge any money for proposing it.

If they don't like that risk, then fine, let them never take any business and let them go bust. The quicker that happens, the better.

I see absolutely no difference between, say, Kia accepting all warranty claims for 7 years, and then some other dealer working on a '4 year old car' saying 'we'll definitely get this fixed for you, one way or the other'. In what way would Kia have NOT taken 'that level of risk'?

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Donald said:
I see absolutely no difference between, say, Kia accepting all warranty claims for 7 years, and then some other dealer working on a '4 year old car' saying 'we'll definitely get this fixed for you, one way or the other'. In what way would Kia have NOT taken 'that level of risk'?
Because Kia have charged you for it up front. Remember when Kia were cheap cars? They're not anymore. Remember when they're depreciation was market leading? Nope, not any more. That warranty keeps the pre-owned values nice and buoyant too.

Turn up to a random garage you've never paid a penny and then start asking for them to bet the farm on fixing your EML code error.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts