Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I figured it's worth having a thread about this to collect info on this issue in case others see it. For the two days I've tried, my car has not pre-heated in the morning, but it DID charge. It does also pre-heat in the evening when I leave.

My departure times look like:

Mon-Fri, 7:45am, Charge to 80% + Air Conditioning
Mon-Fri: 4:40pm, Air Conditioning

Both days at 7:45am the car *has* been charged to 80% but has been cold (the yellow AC light has NOT been on). Both days at 4:40pm the car HAS been warm (and the AC light on).

Differences between the working/non-working events:
  • Car is plugged in for the times the pre-heat failed
  • It's set to both charge and pre-heat, rather than just pre-heat
  • It is earlier/colder
  • It is at home and possibly the connectivity to the car is flaky from my drive
Now, the last one shouldn't matter, since when I get out of the car it clearly showed on the screen each night before "Next departure time is 7:45am, car will charge to 80% and pre-heat". The car knows what it must do. However, I mentioned this because we've had charge timer and pre-heat issues in the ZOE that led many of us to suspect the car connected to Renault and may fail to charge/pre-heat if this failed.

I'm going to try and do more testing (eg. not plugged, not charging, parked further down drive) when I can, but I'm not in work again until January now, so might not be soon. Curious to know if anyone else sees any similar issues.

Exec's office said they can't really put me in touch with anyone here, I'd have to go via dealer. Since it's certainly a software issue, I don't expect the dealer will be able to help, but they might be able to raise the issue with the right people (I'm gonna try and collect more info before taking it in though).

EDIT: Some testing:

- Pre-heat only setting, car not plugged in, allow pre-heat on battery enabled - always worked (6 times)
- Pre-heat + charge to 80%, car plugged in - always failed (3 times)
- Pre-heat + charge to 80%, car not plugged in - worked (2 times)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Could you try scheduling the charge to finish 30 minutes earlier and do a separate "start air conditioning" departure time for the time you actually want to leave, and see if that makes a difference? That would potentially exclude the "both charge and pre-heat, rather than just pre-heat" factor.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I wonder if it could be that the Zoe is not getting a good mobile broadband signal. This was suggested to me by a helpline when I recently failed to get my Zoe to charge at a new Shell recharge station.
I sometimes use my phone to start preconditioning a few minutes before getting into the car. I often have to try a few times before I get the confirmation "A/C running" or whatever.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Could you try scheduling the charge to finish 30 minutes earlier and do a separate "start air conditioning" departure time for the time you actually want to leave, and see if that makes a difference? That would potentially exclude the "both charge and pre-heat, rather than just pre-heat" factor.
Yep; I have a few things to try like this (probably I'll just turn off the charging initially, since I don't need it charging every day), connecting it to my WiFi, etc. I'll just have to set it up for later or wait till back in work, not sure yet (I want to be able to set it in-advance so I see it in the car, but plans for the next week or so are less concrete!).

I wonder if it could be that the Zoe is not getting a good mobile broadband signal. This was suggested to me by a helpline when I recently failed to get my Zoe to charge at a new Shell recharge station.
I sometimes use my phone to start preconditioning a few minutes before getting into the car. I often have to try a few times before I get the confirmation "A/C running" or whatever.
Yep, this is why I mentioned phone signal - we had weird issues in the ZOE relating to bad signal, so I wonder whether the e-Golf does something similar. It doesn't make much sense in my eyes since the car has the info I think it needs; but obviously I have no idea what it's actually doing. And since the VW Car-Net app on my phone constantly scans for my location even when it's not running and also tries to handle hyperlinks I click on my phone, who knows what the car is also doing!

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Dan can you put a picture up, taken inside the car, of the eManager front screen showing the 3 timer summary.
This to rule out the carnet side, as the car will do what it's set to, and not the carnet app if that app is different.

(ie you have on the app / website what you want, but the in car eManager is seeing something else )

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dan can you put a picture up, taken inside the car, of the eManager front screen showing the 3 timer summary.
This to rule out the carnet side, as the car will do what it's set to, and not the carnet app if that app is different.

(ie you have on the app / website what you want, but the in car eManager is seeing something else )
I don't have one handy and it's disabled now, but I can say with 100% certainty that the summary shown when I excited the vehicle correctly showed Charge + Preheat at the time set. I specifically took note of it the night before after it didn't heat the first day. There's no reason the connectivity should be involved, BUT as mentioned above, we've seen the ZOE randomly fail to do things that seemed to be caused by connectivity that you would not expect.

·
Premium Member
2019 Leaf 40
6,621 Posts
Could be a low 12v battery too. For some reason EVs seem to not keep the battery topped up enough for the colder weather. Seems to cause all manner of gremlins.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have the GTE and virtually gave up on the app and web based systems. For regular morning drives I set it up in the car so no comms problems. I set the battery to 100% and AC to 23 C (so I can switch off for a few miles). Seems to be working ok and with the cold mornings recently it's a treat to get into a toasty frost free car.
The app and web systems have a mind of their own but seem to be improving - gradually - but I don't trust them!

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Although I set it via the app, the schedule was already in the car because when I turned the "ignition" off it told me on the screen the time of next departure, and that it was going to preheat and charge to 80% :(

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Although I set it via the app, the schedule was already in the car because when I turned the "ignition" off it told me on the screen the time of next departure, and that it was going to preheat and charge to 80% :(
Get it working using the menu in the car before you try with the app. The app is notoriously unreliable.

I setup the system with the times I usually depart, and then you can just turn them on/off if your schedule varies.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Get it working using the menu in the car before you try with the app. The app is notoriously unreliable.
They sync. I set them in the app and then could see all the exact same settings in the car. When I gout out of the car, it showed me the schedule/settings on the screen. There shouldn't be any difference - the car settings had been updated by the app :/

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
As someone who got it wrong a few times when I first got my car (despite reading the manual) I suggest your u reset all the settings under ‘Car’ and set it up again carefully from scratch. It’s easy to get the location/off peak/timer settings to conflict.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
As someone who got it wrong a few times when I first got my car (despite reading the manual) I suggest your u reset all the settings under ‘Car’ and set it up again carefully from scratch. It’s easy to get the location/off peak/timer settings to conflict.
My settings were really basic and it came up clearly on the screen when I got out showing what it was going to do. It also works fine at work with exactly the same settings except Charge not ticked. I'm absolutely positive this isn't user error :(

Though as it turns out, I've just factory reset the whole thing and deleted the car from CarNet to try and fix my other issues (spoiler: didn't work..) :(

·
Registered
45 Posts
It also works fine at work with exactly the same settings except Charge not ticked.
Have you checked whether this is the case in the mornings at home yet? That'd give you a workaround.

Seems worth making VW aware of this so they can perhaps fix it with a software update, assuming it reproduces reliably (and/or you can figure out what triggers it if it doesn't happen all the time / to everyone's cars).

Final random thought I just had: any chance this has anything to do with the AC being on/off when the car is last turned off before the scheduled time (e.g. because you turn it off en-route home the previous evening, because the car is warm enough and you don't want to waste energy)? Again, that would be dumb and the software should be smarter than that, but seems worth checking...

·
Registered
116 Posts
@DanTup The app is useless at this - it is not communicating properly unless wifi or tethered. I have stopped using the app for this and set it directly in the car myself. Works fine when set using the screen in the car.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Otherwise you can’t discount user error.
With respect, this is really basic stuff. Here's my settings:

Screen Shot 2017-12-26 at 19.04.35.png

When I exit the car, it clearly states what it's going to do on the screen. While the names shown in grey text are mine, the icons on the right are from CarNet and I think it's very hard to misinterpret any of this. If the car says it's going to pre-heat and charge to 80% ready to depart at 7:45am in the app, on the website, in the car's e-Manage and also on the summary screen when exiting the night before and is then charged but cold at 7:45am I don't see how this is user error.

@DanTup The app is useless at this - it is not communicating properly unless wifi or tethered. I have stopped using the app for this and set it directly in the car myself. Works fine when set using the screen in the car.
At the time I set the schedule connectivity was fine - the settings synced to the car (it does it when you press Save in the app), I could see them in the car in e-Manager and also they were confirmed on the screen when I exited the vehicle the night before. The settings *did* getting to the car.

That said, I've not been able to do any further testing because my connectivity with the car is completely broke now (see Connection between car and car-net completely unreliable? (Dec 2017)) so I'm going to call the CarNet support number tomorrow. It basically worked for exactly 7 days from when the initial setup was run and now is broken - I would not be surprised if the sim card isn't activated properly and had some 7 day grace period or something.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My connectivity is also shot to bits @DanTup . Let me know what they say.
If you login to the website you can see a timestamp at the top of when the car last connected (it's not visible in the app):

Car-Net

I'd be curious to know what yours is - mine is Friday 22nd 12:10pm - exactly 7 days (to the hour) after the delivery driver set up the system to drive it here. What's yours?

Do you also get the "grey globe" icon along the top? It used to be white globe with a white car overlay and a white "location" pin. Now the car and pin are gone and the globe is grey (suggesting no connectivity and no location tracking!). I'm not tethering to my phone at all for now (I've tested it on and off, but it doesn't seem to be used for these features, since that timestamp still never updated).

Only thing I can think of would be to update the software if possible and double check the car clock is right.
I did check this today, and also did a full factory reset (which seems like bs, because it still had my Name, my e-Manager settings and some other stuff afterwards!) and checked it again as part of the setup wizard :(

1 - 20 of 71 Posts