Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Couple of weeks ago just as the temperature really dropped outside (may not be related) I noticed a very faint, almost distant ringing noise coming from what seems to be right, front area of the car - perhaps behind dash or from engine bay.

Back in the car today - electric mode only and I can hear it more loudly. Can't tell yet if it's when accelerating only. Not 100% though pretty sure I heard it when the car was in ICE mode - I'll do some more testing.

2020 mk7.5 advance - 1200 miles on the clock

Anyone had anything like this?

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 1st Edition & Tesla M3 LR
8,470 Posts
Did you tick the ‘small town crier’ option?!

It’s quite common on the Golf for people to complain of a ringing from the engine bay, suspicion falls on either the turbo actuator or the exhaust flexible coupling. It’s hard to say from the description. Any chance you could try recording it?

One thing the GTE seems to have is plenty of heat shielding on the bulkhead, check to see if any pipe work is touching that.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Couple of weeks ago just as the temperature really dropped outside (may not be related) I noticed a very faint, almost distant ringing noise coming from what seems to be right, front area of the car - perhaps behind dash or from engine bay.

Back in the car today - electric mode only and I can hear it more loudly. Can't tell yet if it's when accelerating only. Not 100% though pretty sure I heard it when the car was in ICE mode - I'll do some more testing.

2020 mk7.5 advance - 1200 miles on the clock

Anyone had anything like this?
Is it definitely not the fake sound the GTE pushes out when driving in EV mode to warn pedestrians? Sort of like a whirring futuristic sound? (Not talking about the fake in-cabin engine sound the GTE pushes out when in sport/GTE mode).

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did you tick the ‘small town crier’ option?!

It’s quite common on the Golf for people to complain of a ringing from the engine bay, suspicion falls on either the turbo actuator or the exhaust flexible coupling. It’s hard to say from the description. Any chance you could try recording it?

One thing the GTE seems to have is plenty of heat shielding on the bulkhead, check to see if any pipe work is touching that.
I'll try and record it if it gets worse.

It happens in EV mode so can't be turbo, exhaust etc.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is it definitely not the fake sound the GTE pushes out when driving in EV mode to warn pedestrians? Sort of like a whirring futuristic sound? (Not talking about the fake in-cabin engine sound the GTE pushes out when in sport/GTE mode).
hmmm not sure - thought I would have heard it before if it was this.

Do you mean the e-sound button? if so then I always have that turned off - and the couple of times I tried it, it makes quite a different sound to this faint ringing type sound. It's like the sound you get when someone runs their finger around a wine glass

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 1st Edition & Tesla M3 LR
8,470 Posts
I'll try and record it if it gets worse.

It happens in EV mode so can't be turbo, exhaust etc.
Your exhaust and turbo gubbins are still hanging there in the engine bay even in e-mode, the engine will still be moving in its mounts as the torque still transfers via the driveshafts etc.

When I was working on adding an extra nut to my Soundaktor mount, I was surprised by how ‘ringy’ some of the shielding was as I caught it with my hand etc.

The turbo wastegate noise in some Golfs thus equipped used to be caused by a valve that was free to rattle a little in certain positions. Some owners reported it settled down after a few thousand miles as combustion deposits deadened it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok cheers, very interesting. I'll see how it goes next few weeks and also get under the bonnet as advised

1 - 7 of 7 Posts