Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to take the Leaf to London and back to Cornwall. Really confused with charging points. Some maps have them, some don't. Anybody done this before or can give me genuine advice. What cards, where to to re charge etc.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Source London charge card is £5 until the end of the year. Also works at Ecotricity if you have a Comms glitch with another card.

Best to stick to the M5/M4 route as the A303 isn't well covered. I'd think rapid charge in Plymouth at Vospers which should be reachable from Falmouth. Then up the A38 to the M5.

Be sure to check the Ecotricity map for charge station status.

If you have an iPad download the InRoute app to plan your route. It'll show you topography to give you some idea of where you'll battle gaining altitude (Bodmin and Dartmoor etc).

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Source London charge card is £5 until the end of the year. Also works at Ecotricity if you have a Comms glitch with another card.

Best to stick to the M5/M4 route as the A303 isn't well covered. I'd think rapid charge in Plymouth at Vospers which should be reachable from Falmouth. Then up the A38 to the M5.

Be sure to check the Ecotricity map for charge station status.
I live in Falmouth and can get to Plymouth on 1 charge. You suggest the M5 and M4, thats what I thought, but was wondering if any one had actually done it.
Thanks for the tip re the Source London Card

·
Registered
42 Posts
Aim for around 60 mile hops is my tip. Give yourself a bit of leeway in case of charger failure or being ICEd or Teslad. In Leaf hops try:
Falmouth - Vospers Plymouth - J27 M5 Tiverton - Severn View M48 or Bristol IKEA - M4 Leigh Delamere top up - M4 Thatcham - Then it's 66 miles to Central London

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I've done Southend to Land's End. The battery got pretty hot by the time we had finished.

M5 and M4 are both quite straightforward.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I live in Falmouth and can get to Plymouth on 1 charge. You suggest the M5 and M4, thats what I thought, but was wondering if any one had actually done it.
Thanks for the tip re the Source London Card
Yesterday did return trip St Mawes (next to Falmouth) to near Banbury 260 miles. Charged at Vospers Plymouth, just call first. Leaf SatNaff takes you 2 miles away on postcode so be warned. It is in the retail park at Marsh Mills 2 miles further on the A38.

I also charged at Hawkins Motors in St. Stephen 01726 828100.
Thoroughly enjoyable. 20Kw ABB rapid will deliver a full charge in the time you want to be there.
Very helpful and friendly and a free cafe with not just free biscuits and cakes but cream tea! There is a collection of about 40 old British motorcycles in the cafe which is where they started after bicycles.

They said they wanted a plug when I asked;).

They have sold 160 Peugeot Ions having bought most of the stock from garages including London where sales team weren't interested:confused:. Great for Cornish roads, most used locally and the staff and owners all use them.

Yours for £12,500 brand new! I think 2 pilots at Cornwall flying club have them and we charged there at Bodmin airfield on A30 route down. If you use that route use Exeter Nissan to knock 4 miles off at Exeter.

C&C taxies in St Austell 5 miles away are also very helpful Leaf operators with a private rapid
C&C taxis St Austel 01726 63538

Once you are at Exeter with 2 Chademo rapids you will find it easy on the Ecotricity network. Call them using No on rapid chargers if you need help.

Enjoy your trip we did:).

·
Registered
Peugeot iON 2013, Renault Zoe 50 2020
464 Posts
I have one of their iON's, and they are not an uncommon sight in this neck of the woods :)

Reactions: GBEV
1 - 9 of 9 Posts