Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody else been having problems with the parking sensors on the new Leaf?

I'm occasionally getting false contacts on my parking sensors when I'm in stop-start traffic. It's not normally a steady warning though. It's usually a few short bursts of quick bleeps, sometimes accompanied by the visual sensor warning on the screen. No faults or other warnings are being shown though.

It usually seems to affect the front sensors, and I think it's mostly happening when I'm behind another car with rear parking sensors. I've particularly noticed it recently when I was behind a Nissan X-Trail or a BMW X1. It's almost as if their sensors were interfering with mine. Once it starts happening behind a particular car, it seems to keep happening every time I get moderately close behind them (within a metre or so). If I end up behind another car without parking sensors then it doesn't happen any more.

In contrast, the sensors seem to work perfectly when I'm actually parking; e.g. they detect my garage door accurately.

I'm guessing I should probably be taking the car back to the dealer to have a look at. Is there anything else I could try in the meantime, besides turning off the sensors entirely?

·
Premium Member
2014 Model S
8,739 Posts
Is there any sensitivity or distance adjustment anywhere? With most cars I've had you can switch off parking sensors manually so if it's bothersome you can turn them off in stop start traffic then turn them back on when you're parking up.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is there any sensitivity or distance adjustment anywhere? With most cars I've had you can switch off parking sensors manually so if it's bothersome you can turn them off in stop start traffic then turn them back on when you're parking up.
I can turn them off entirely, but then I usually forget about it. :) I don't think there's any sensitivity option in the standard menus though.

·
Solar, Powerwall, Nissan Xstor, NEC DSS installer
216 Posts

I'm occasionally getting false contacts on my parking sensors when I'm in stop-start traffic. It's not normally a steady warning though. It's usually a few short bursts of quick bleeps, sometimes accompanied by the visual sensor warning on the screen. No faults or other warnings are being shown though.

It usually seems to affect the front sensors, and I think it's mostly happening when I'm behind another car with rear parking sensors. I've particularly noticed it recently when I was behind a Nissan X-Trail or a BMW X1. It's almost as if their sensors were interfering with mine. Once it starts happening behind a particular car, it seems to keep happening every time I get moderately close behind them (within a metre or so). If I end up behind another car without parking sensors then it doesn't happen any more.

In contrast, the sensors seem to work perfectly when I'm actually parking; e.g. they detect my garage door accurately.

I'm guessing I should probably be taking the car back to the dealer to have a look at. Is there anything else I could try in the meantime, besides turning off the sensors entirely?
Wow its funny you should say that I had exactly the same thing happen today. Thought It was strange at the time but discounted it.

Came up behind a 1 series BMW (truth be told a little bit fast) and the red triangle came up and auto applied brakes even though I was already braking, I stopped well short anyway. After that every time I came up behind it again the red triangle kept coming on even when no where near the car it was going a bit berserk for about 10 min after that.

Have noticed on other occasions the warning beeps when coming up behind something but not noticed the model of car before @NissanGB any ideas why this would happen?

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
I have it regularly at the same spot but not when following cars as the OP said.
My instance is the curve leading onto a roundabout which you see clearly onto so i can be heading towards it at speed before turning last minute.

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
Aren't the parking sensors only supposed to be active at low speeds?
Yes, correct. I was replying to @Solarphil post just prior to mine. But this refers to the auto brake feature and alert. Not the parking sensors so slight thread drift sorry.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Mine does this but only in stationary traffic and rarely. I have had the brake warning come up a few times recently when I've been using epedal and gently slowing but with plenty of space to stop. The brakes haven't actually applied (they didn't need to) but the warning triangle has popped up.

·
Solar, Powerwall, Nissan Xstor, NEC DSS installer
216 Posts
Mine does this but only in stationary traffic and rarely. I have had the brake warning come up a few times recently when I've been using epedal and gently slowing but with plenty of space to stop. The brakes haven't actually applied (they didn't need to) but the warning triangle has popped up.
Yep mine does that at least once a day, exactly same circumstance

·
Registered
1,899 Posts

If I am behind a Ford S-Max with parking sensors I get false contacts. I presume they work on the same frequency and there is some interference. I doubt there is a fix for this.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.