Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've notice a couple of times that a fan is running about 10-20 minutes after I have locked the car after a short chilled drive. It seems to be around the front windscreen area, which I assumed was the cabin fan? I even switch off the cabin climate control before I leave the car. I am not charging the car, nor has it been charged that day. When I unlock and open the door the fan then stops. I lock the car again, and check afterwards the fan remains off. I'm not sure how long the fan will remain on, but I was concerned about battery loss.

Has anyone else noticed this? Is it the cabin fan or some other fan? If its the battery fan, then why is it running, when I am not charging?

Any advice guys?

Thanks

·
Registered
82 Posts
The cabin overheat setting will cause the ac to come on if temp inside is above 40 degrees. But you are int he UK i guess so its probably not that :)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The cabin used to have a bad smell that was caused by stagnant water from the air con unit and I know an update kept the fans running for a bit to help evaporate the water. It could be that, and this is the first time your car has decided to keep the fan on?
Its the 2nd time I've noticed it.. and its only because I went back in the garage (where the car is kept) to get some tools when I noticed it. It could have happened before, but I just didn't go back to the garage for anything, but I am now going to closely monitor it. I have noticed that the funny smell has gone away recently, but I just assumed it was because I hadn't used the car for a while. Good that Tesla has implemented this fix. Do you know how long the fan usually goes on for? Just a bit concerned about the 12v battery being used for some time when we have all heard they are short lived with all its constant usage and charging times and could need replacing around 18 months years old.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The cabin overheat setting will cause the ac to come on if temp inside is above 40 degrees. But you are int he UK i guess so its probably not that :)
Yes I'm in the UK and its around 12C, plus I have already disabled cabin overheat protection.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Its the 2nd time I've noticed it.. and its only because I went back in the garage (where the car is kept) to get some tools when I noticed it. It could have happened before, but I just didn't go back to the garage for anything, but I am now going to closely monitor it. I have noticed that the funny smell has gone away recently, but I just assumed it was because I hadn't used the car for a while. Good that Tesla has implemented this fix. Do you know how long the fan usually goes on for? Just a bit concerned about the 12v battery being used for some time when we have all heard they are short lived with all its constant usage and charging times and could need replacing around 18 months years old.
I have the same problem. I have noticed the fan running long after leaving the car. On one occasion I noticed it running after I had washed and polished the car (about 2 hours). Everything was off that could be off . Car was locked and phone was in the house. I pressed the fan on button in the app and the fan went off. Put it back to off and it stayed off for a few minutes and then came on agand came back in half an hour and fan had gone off. I have quite bad phantom battery drain up to 3%/day and worry about leaving car at airport. I am interested to see how you get on with the problem.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I’m not sure how long it lasts for? When I heard mine running recently it had stopped after 15 mins as I went back to get something out of thr boot. That’s a good point about the battery, I’d never thought of it? I’m hoping Tesla has implemented protection for that!?

·
Registered
672 Posts
Tesla are aware of this issue.
They confirmed that there's a firmware issue regarding this issue.
We noticed this 6-8 weeks ago, remote testing confirmed coolant pump was running, even though car wasn't driven, not charging/not charged, cabin heat protection was switched off as was normal a/c; whilst my car was inside my garage at 16c ambient temp.
Issues will be resolved in future software release.
Sometimes it could run on from 30 minutes to four hours.
Opening a door will initially cancel issue, upon closing door, it can silence down then fire back up again.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Tesla are aware of this issue.
They confirmed that there's a firmware issue regarding this issue.
We noticed this 6-8 weeks ago, remote testing confirmed coolant pump was running, even though car wasn't driven, not charging/not charged, cabin heat protection was switched off as was normal a/c; whilst my car was inside my garage at 16c ambient temp.
Issues will be resolved in future software release.
Sometimes it could run on from 30 minutes to four hours.
Opening a door will initially cancel issue, upon closing door, it can silence down then fire back up again.
Thanks for that post. I think you've nailed it and put my mind at rest. I was thinking of contacting service. I'm not too worried about battery drain while flights are cancelled. I should be in Fuerteventura now.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
It's been doing it for a few releases now. I guess as they make the cars in california where running a fan makes sense they didn't think about the UK where it doesn't.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts