Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ENiro4 - June 2020

Hi

I cant remember not being able to completely turn off the fan speed control by just rotating the speed control knob fully anti-clockwise. When I do this now one bar on the fan speed display always remains on, ie it still blows air through the vents. The only way to turn it off completely is to hit the separate Off Button.

Could be that has always been how it is but would appreciate it if someone could confirm this is the normal behaviour or not as the case might be I'd appreciate it. Every other vehicle Ive owned you could turn it off just by rotating the speed knob.

Thanks.

Registered
E-Niro 64kWh '4' since 9/20 (was Prius)
That is normal expected behaviour. However, in light of the known failures of PTC heater elements, IMO its wiser to leave the entire HVAC set to auto and simply adjust the target temperature to your preference. Why would you want to turn the fan speed down? It slows itself down when you reach target temperature anyway :unsure: . I never ever touch the fan speed knob myself. Full auto climate control takes care of everything automatically.... temperature, humidity, heating, cooling and ventilation.
Peter

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is normal expected behaviour. However, in light of the known failures of PTC heater elements, IMO its wiser to leave the entire HVAC set to auto and simply adjust the target temperature to your preference. Why would you want to turn the fan speed down? It slows itself down when you reach target temperature anyway :unsure: . I never ever touch the fan speed knob myself. Full auto climate control takes care of everything automatically.... temperature, humidity, heating, cooling and ventilation.
Peter
Thanks for confirming this behaviour. Much appreciated.

As to why would I want to turn the fan down at all, simples..... noise! Noise ruins the tranquillity of an electric car but I'll give the Full Auto a try just to see how it goes. I find the operation of the Cooling/Heating system on this car to be confusing to say the least as do many other people having read numerous posts here on this subject.

Registered
E-Niro 64kWh '4' since 9/20 (was Prius)
Just leave it on Auto (led lit on auto knob) always. Then select temperature dial to your preference I use 19/20/21 mostly. If you do that it couldn鈥檛 be simpler. The fan will soon slow down. Remember it鈥檚 thermostatic, so sometimes it will blow warm sometimes cool.
The only other setting I might use is the off button, if cracking open the windows.
Oh and of course the recirculating button when it鈥檚 appropriate.
Then hit Auto again when windows are closed. I think if you follow this regime, you will be happy. Peter.

Reactions: Richard Wood

Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20, Zoe Z.E.50 GT Line
Yeah I don鈥檛 use auto, spends too much time puffing and blowing. Off to turn it off, any other control will turn it on.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts