Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
288 Posts
Cabin heating uses a lot of energy, especially if your car is not equipped with a heat pump. Turning on the “fan” also engages heating, and thus you get less driving range. If I turn off the fan (HVAC off) I get much more range, especially on a cold day. I love the seat heater because it warms my back as well and it only drops range by 1 mile. I wish the steering wheel had heat.

· Registered
288 Posts
Good analysis but some units are off. Only about 21.5 kWh is usable (when new). Also, 266 Wh (Wh not W) is a bit of a rough average. Could be as low as 200 Wh/mile or as high as 350 Wh/mile, depending on how you drive. Assuming 266 Wh/mile average efficiency, if the fan uses 235 W, and is running for an hour, that means it consumes 235 Wh but the per mile usage depends on how fast you drive. If you average 50 mph, then the fan adds 4.5 Wh/mile. The fan itself is a small energy use compared to the PTC heater, which is rated at 5000 W.

· Registered
288 Posts
Yes, there is no independent way to turn off the heater other than by temperature setpoint. You can go to one of the efficiency screens and see how many miles (or km) range is being reduced so you could play with the temp dial to minimize that number.

· Registered
288 Posts
Woodulike, thank you for confirming the HVAC fan uses very little energy and that the heater is what significantly reduces range. If someone wants fresh air but no heat, bring a few blankets and dress warmly for your long drive.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.