Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
Can you fast charge bmw i3 range extender 2015

Yes, it has both a normal Type 2 AC fast charge capability and also a CCS rapid charge capability.

Edited to add:

Should have put the charging rates as well, perhaps. Fast charging is either 7 kW single phase or 11 kW three phase. Rapid charging is up to 50 kW.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, it has both a normal Type 2 AC fast charge capability and also a CCS rapid charge capability.

Edited to add:

Should have put the charging rates as well, perhaps. Fast charging is either 7 kW single phase or 11 kW three phase. Rapid charging is up to 50 kW.
Hi Thanks,
I plug into BP polar charger with DC connecter yesterday took 22mins just for 10 mile?

·
Registered
BMW i3
451 Posts
Can you fast charge bmw i3 range extender 2015
Possibly - DC/ rapid charging was an option then, so might not be able to (it was standard from late 2016 with the bigger 94Ah battery).

As per the picture posted, if you have the extra two pins under the type 2 connector on the car it does have it.

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
Fast AC should be (IIRC from back when I had an i3) 11 kW from a 3 phase charge point, which is around 35 to 45 miles of range gained per hour for an i3. A single phase AC charge point will charge an i3 at about 25 to 30 miles of range gained per hour.

Do you know if I can get adapter to fast charge or would it not be possible.
You already have a fast charger in the car, as all i3s have that. I think what you're asking is if a non-CCS i3 can be converted to accept CCS rapid charging. To the best of my knowledge this isn't something that would be easy, may not even be possible (although someone determined that is prepared to mess around with the car DC system and software might be able to do it).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Fast AC should be (IIRC from back when I had an i3) 11 kW from a 3 phase charge point, which is around 35 to 45 miles of range gained per hour for an i3. A single phase AC charge point will charge an i3 at about 25 to 30 miles of range gained per hour.

You already have a fast charger in the car, as all i3s have that. I think what you're asking is if a non-CCS i3 can be converted to accept CCS rapid charging. To the best of my knowledge this isn't something that would be easy, may not even be possible (although someone determined that is prepared to mess around with the car DC system and software might be able to do it).
Cheers thanks👍

·
Registered
Leaf 30kWh, HS PHEV
2,824 Posts
This would be something [mention]Muxsan [/mention] or [mention]Dalathegreat [/mention] would comfortably do

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts