Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im a long time reader on here and have just started posting so Hello!

Ive been looking at EV's for a few months now but just can't seem to make the metal jump to get one yet. Let me explain...……...I like fast cars and in an every day one I like 4wd, also I like my cars to be light, small and fun to drive as generally heavy big cars are not fun to drive. I currently have an Audi S3 as a daily and a Lotus Elise as my fun car and have lots of much faster cars in my past like a £53,000 Caterham 620 and a tuned Audi RS3!

I have driven BMW i3's, Leaf's, the new Mini E and a Tesla M3 but none really fit my wish list of quality, not too big, 4wd and fast...………………….I almost bought an i3s but the RWD, daft doors and high short city car design detract from the driving dynamics. I almost bought a 19 Leaf but its not great to drive, feels a bit cheap inside and why don't they have a reach adjustable steering wheel!?!? The Tesla was good but I could not live with the dash, a big touchscreen in the middle of a completely undersigned dash is just terrible imo plus the build quality isn't Audi or BMW. The Mini was great to drive and lovely inside but its a bit tight for 2 kids and 3 door only with a small battery so I think if I buy any EV now it will just be a stop gap until what I want is on the market.

I guess basically I want is a VW ID3 R or Audi S3 EV but whilst I do think VW will bring one to market sometime its probably 3 years away! Cant get why all the cars coming are either big SUV's like the Merc EQC, Audi E-Tron or Jag I-Pace or small city cars like the Mini, VW Up Seat Mii etc. The big sellers are normal Golf / Focus sized cars but there really aren't any EV ones and a Golf E is not desirable in my eyes.

Is there anything coming out from manufacturers????? Or would they ever read this post ?

·
Registered
460 Posts
Tesla Roadster? You want to have the benefits of two cars (daily driver and fun car) into one, newest possible technology and not pay too much... that's a hard thing to do.

Manufacturers don't make much money on small sized cars, hence large SUVs are becoming cash cows.

I'd go for an Alpine + EV daily driver

·
Registered
73 Posts
It's easier to disguise the size and weight of the battery pack in a SUV format, plus they are desirable to many (as has already been said) and the premium bracket allows the cost of the battery and new technology investment to be better absorbed by the price if the vehicle.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
An Eviya ?………………...Im not anywhere near being a millionaire.

My budget is around what I deem to be a normal everyday car like a Golf R or Audi S3...…………….VW ID3 money if we EVER see one on the road!

BTW my Lotus Elise is only a year old and hides in the garage only to come out when the sun does which isn't very often in Northern Ireland! For driver involvement I can't see any car ever beating the like of a lightweight ICE car as EV's are only a 1 trick pony in the acceleration department but that's perfect for a daily driver car, a tuned Audi S3 isn't much fun to drive but its fast.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I bought an i3 because it's the most 'performance based' electric car for reasonable money and having owned various hot hatches in the past I do like something that's quick and can handle. After nearly a year ownership I still love it, it puts most cars to shame off the lights, steers directly, it's the lightest electric car available (and it feels it) and with 50/50 weight distribution and RWD it handles very well I think, it does lean a little bit but the i3's' resolves that by widening the track and fitting stiffer springs. The traction control does let you have a bit of fun too, add a bit more throttle round corners the the back-end just tucks the nose in nicely!

Aside from that I think there are plans for a few new electric hot hatches e208 GTI, ID3 R off the top of my head but as you say they are 2/3 years away.

Reactions: mike150

·
Registered
460 Posts
For driver involvement I can't see any car ever beating the like of a lightweight ICE car as EV's are only a 1 trick pony in the acceleration department
Yeeeaaahh... I wouldn't be so sure about that... These are heavy machines, yes, but depending on how their software adjusts the torque sent to each wheel they can feel pretty nimble, which can make them behave as less heavy than they actually are. Track-ready cars, such as the Taycan, probably feel way lighter than they actually are...

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
My budget is around what I deem to be a normal everyday car like a Golf R or Audi S3...…………….VW ID3 money if we EVER see one on the road!
Yep. You're another one whose EV expectations are several years ahead of reality. Even normal daily driver EVs are nowhere near price parity with ICE equivalents yet, so you won't see a performance EV for cheap any time soon.
Patience.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Can't be taken seriously saying a M3 is put together badly, yet had no issue owning a Caterham.

Christian von Koenigsegg drives a M3P as a daily car and rates it as the best daily car you can buy. Even his new family 4-seater takes queues from it with the giant central touch screen. ;)

·
Zoe Devotee
9,125 Posts
Can't be taken seriously saying a M3 is put together badly, yet had no issue owning a Caterham.

Christian von Koenigsegg drives a M3P as a daily car and rates it as the best daily car you can buy. Even his new family 4-seater takes queues from it with the giant central touch screen. ;)

Can you be taken seriously? Haven't you ordered an Ioniq? Do any supercar firm owners drive one?

Are you aware that Dale Vince is driven around in a Diesel BMW but rates his Charging network the best and the backbone of UK driving.

Reactions: Woodulike

·
Registered
410 Posts
Can you be taken seriously? Haven't you ordered an Ioniq? Do any supercar firm owners drive one?

Are you aware that Dale Vince is driven around in a Diesel BMW but rates his Charging network the best and the backbone of UK driving.
What has that got to do with the price of cheese??? You really are special.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Polestar 2
I await the day when Polestar make a car that's 'affordable' :LOL:

The term is slightly subjective I know, but on average I think affordable can be considered no more than £35kish brand new.

·
Live by the sword. Don't intend to die by it.
809 Posts
I await the day when Polestar make a car that's 'affordable' :LOL:

The term is slightly subjective I know, but on average I think affordable can be considered no more than £35kish brand new.
The OP suggested the Audi S3 which starts at £40,000 with Audi's typically stingy spec and long options list. A jump to £46.5k from there isn't too big a stretch to imagine.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Mercedes EQA might be the first truly desirable small fast car but I expect its still a year away and cost 40-50 thousand.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts