Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I love that the North East wants to be first in this new technology, but I'm really concerned by this investment. £4m to create two charging stations, that each can fill up 6 cars at 175kW or 350kW all sounds great as a headline.

But (and bear in mind I'm new to EV's) I don't think there are any cars that can be charged at this rate? The closest currently available seems to be the Audi E Tron @ £68k and 150kW and the Tesla's at 120kW.

Is this likely to be a white elephant, or are there loads of 350kW cars in the pipeline?

The reality of driving an EV in Newcastle is that a lot of the Charge Your Car public charging points seem to be broken, and have been broken for months. I hope that some of the £4m can be spent repairing the infra that currently exists and supports cars that are currently available and affordable in the North East.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
18,528 Posts
I love that the North East wants to be first in this new technology, but I'm really concerned by this investment. £4m to create two charging stations, that each can fill up 6 cars at 175kW or 350kW all sounds great as a headline.

But (and bear in mind I'm new to EV's) I don't think there are any cars that can be charged at this rate? The closest currently available seems to be the Audi E Tron @ £68k and 150kW and the Tesla's at 120kW.

Is this likely to be a white elephant, or are there loads of 350kW cars in the pipeline?

The reality of driving an EV in Newcastle is that a lot of the Charge Your Car public charging points seem to be broken, and have been broken for months. I hope that some of the £4m can be spent repairing the infra that currently exists and supports cars that are currently available and affordable in the North East.
Even the Teslas will only be able to use 50 kW via the Chademo adaptor. It remains to be seen if the EU spec Model 3 will charge at 120 kW using CCS.

...and yes, £4M seems a bit steep. I’m sure a bunch of two charger installations at various strategic locations would be better use of the money.

Although the Fastned installations are advertised at 350 kW, I think they’re fitted for 150 kW with the potential to upgrade later.

As you say, why provide 350 kW charging when no car can use it. You may as well say it’s a 1 MW charger, as no-one would ever know the difference.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Bets are with the proliferation of EV cabs in the region, these will fast become blocked by them, so regular drivers will be SOL, just like at Northumberlandia.

·
Premium Member
11,588 Posts
It will help Jaguar as they can say the iPace has at least two places in UK it can charge at 100kW :whistle:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts