Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been away for a few days which involved a 700 mile round trip and numerous charging problems. When I was trying to to rapid charge my Zoe (% charge left < 20%) the charge would start and then fail after about 30% with a red flashing display with a message that the charge socket needed checking..

If I disconneted from the rapid charger and reconnected then the charge would recommence except on the final charge of my return journey, then it refused to continue charging.

The car charges at home without any problem on 8 kw wall socket.

Is the a fault with the charge socket and how do I report it and get it fixed?

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
In the four years of owning a Zoe I have seen this twice and both were at the same charge point Larkhall park and ride, the plug was quite warm so looks like Zoe disconnects to protect the on board charger.
It will be due to poor conduction probably down to corrosion or damaged connection pins on the charge point.
I reported that to charge place Scotland, look at the charge point on plugshare or Zapmap for who owns the one you had trouble with.

Reactions: yoh-there

·
Zoe Devotee
9,343 Posts
Dunfermline P&R, the Siemens rapid does this. Charges great from low SOC, and turns off bang on 40% giving the Red Nose. Will restart but gives Red nose every couple of %. I've reported it numerous times.

Not the car, because if I switch to the other rapid its fine, or use the rapid at Bankhead (same siemens unit). So definitely a charger fault.

Reactions: Mo1 and yoh-there

·
Co-author of CanZE. Q210 nov 2013
4,662 Posts
What @Mo1 said. AFAIK the ZE40 models have a temperature sensor in the socket and the Q210/R240 don't, so it should be an exclusive message to the ZE40 models. I am NOT 100% sure of this.

Excessive heat is indeed a contact issue and as said, most likely the plug. A touch will confirm. Hand warm is fine. Hot is not. However, to avoid any embarrassment: you could check the cleanness of the pins in the socket. The visible top has coating on it but the sides are blank metal, gripped by the plug. Cotton swab with some cleaning alcohol would do it. Successful single phase home charging is no proof for this issue as a rapid uses two more pins and currents are twice as high. Per pin that is.

While a PIA, you really don't want a fire or melting bits. I do prefer the error if something is crappy.

@Sandy Are you sure yours was a "check socket"?

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
In the four years of owning a Zoe I have seen this twice and both were at the same charge point Larkhall park and ride, the plug was quite warm so looks like Zoe disconnects to protect the on board charger.
It will be due to poor conduction probably down to corrosion or damaged connection pins on the charge point.
I reported that to charge place Scotland, look at the charge point on plugshare or Zapmap for who owns the one you had trouble with.
@Mo1 , Thanks for the post. I t happened on two charge points, one Larkhall (there and back) and once at Crainlarich, both at times when the SOC was low and demanding the max from the charge point. on the two other EH charge points the SOC was much higher (perhaps 40% 50%) the charge went ahead as normal.
In addition to this, I have always had the problem of having to retry the connection as the car never connects first time to the rapid charge points in Scotland.

I have just telephoned Renault and asked them what the red dash and message is and they dont know. I suppose I will have to ring around Renault dealers to find one who is aware of the porblem.

Reactions: Mo1 and yoh-there

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
There you go then the fact that yours also failed at Larkhall kind of confirms its the charge point at fault not the car. Tweet, email or phone CPS to let them know you have had the overheat issue. the more complaints the better (y)

Reactions: yoh-there

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
@PeteEV I've retweeted my tweet complaint, adding a link to this thread.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts