Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Chevy Volt
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed today while switching between normal and hold mode on a fast A-road that when I reverted to battery power, the mileage log continued to accumulate on the petrol gauge instead of the battery icon on the main energy display. The driver display correctly showed that I was driving on battery and not petrol power. This continued for about a mile until I again toggled between normal-hold-normal, when the main display started logging electric miles correctly again. I have wondered why I’ve only been getting between 36-39 miles per charge recently, despite the warm weather. Maybe this has something to do with it.
my last 4 KWh totals have been 9.8,9.7, 9.7 and today was 9.5. Anyone else noticed anything similar? Mine’s a 14 Volt.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
It's the car being clever. Excess power generation in the hold mode is stored in the battery and used when there is sufficient, this is seen as the engine toggling on and off as you drive, when you switch to normal any power the car thinks is from petrol is logged to the petrol mileage until it thinks it is used up , then it logs to the electric mileage.

Most I've seen is 10 miles least 0 it all depends where in the cycle you catch it :)

Reactions: RunningStrong

·
Registered
104 Posts
This is a known bug the car reserves .4kwh for the buffer it’s is this part of the battery that it charges and discharges with the engine cycling on and off , one trick is to turn the car on connected to the charger turn off the ac and after around. 10:mins it will complete charging this is it having filled the buffer this will increase the SOC which you can see if you use mygreenvolt , sometimes depending on wher you are in the charging cycle it can get lost or more likely the 0.4kwh are created by the engine so it will count these as petrol miles

·
Registered
2014 Chevy Volt
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks both. Am relieved it’s not something I need to worry about.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts