Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m typing this post out whilst sitting at one of the superchargers, looks like my home charger has a fault, there’s power to it but not charging, good job I woke up for a quick pee, thought I check my state of charge and realised it wasn’t charging!! I’m schedule to goto Birmingham today.
Who do I call for charger fault, the company who fitted my charger 5 years ago no longer in business.

·
Registered
227 Posts
If it's connected to wifi call the makers. They can see the fault, might be able to do something online.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
It is not unknown for cables to fail with the years of plugging / unplugging. If the unit is tethered then an electrician could check continuity. for un-tethered just try a new cable.

Depends on the make, Rolec have standard parts, see various threads. The Chargemasters can have faulty main boards, there is a guy on here can fix them.
At 5 years the makers will only try and sell a new one and as the wiring regs have changed you may need more than just the box.
Tesla, its back to Tesla.

·
Registered
4,933 Posts
All good advice above. What make / model of charge point is it, does it display any behaviour, and tethered/untethered?

Reactions: kin

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you guys!! I am embarrassed to tell you all that my charger is working after all.
I powered off and on my ABL(Ironman) untethered charger this morning, and I also unplug/plug the cable. I am using Tesla model3 own cable which is only a year old.

Just came back home and I thought I'll give it another go and it charges!! :confused:
Maybe a soft reset on my Model 3 could have resolved the issue? I was kind of panicking this morning when I realized my car wasn't charged :eek:

I could have taken advantage of my Octopus 5p rate last night but ended up paying nearly £10 supercharger rate, oh well......

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
OK, tried out my neighbour's home charger with my own cable, still no charge.
I plug in my granny charger, it worked, sounds like it could be my cable then?

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Very possible, try wriggling the cable near a connector end if charging starts you have found the break!
This will be a standard type 2 cable - you can't borrow the neighbors cable can you? assuming they have a type 2 car (most are now)

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Very possible, try wriggling the cable near a connector end if charging starts you have found the break!
This will be a standard type 2 cable - you can't borrow the neighbors cable can you? assuming they have a type 2 car (most are now)
Nah, my neighbour's cable is type1.
I am going to Stockport Tesla tomorrow, they should be able to test my cable?

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Wahey! Tried your method this morning, wriggled at each end of the plug at first, nothing, then I wriggle the whole cable, and it started to charge!
Went to Tesla, they confirmed it was my cable and replaced it with a 7m cable(I could do with extra length there!) While I was at Tesla, they informed me that there was a recall on my model(which I didn't know about?), something to do with relocating the electrical harness to prevent them from being in contact with water.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts