Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought someone might be able to help with this one. I have had a 7Kw home charger on my house for a couple of years but up until recently I have only ever used it to top up friends cars. Now I have my own car I was hoping to use it regularly. However I have a problem with my Pod Point that is a little strange. If I simply plug the car in to charge it then all is ok the charger works fine. The problem comes when I try to use the cars on board charge timer to charge over night off peak. When I first connect the car it bleeps and the dash lights start the five minutes flashing cycle. But the charger indicator light on the Pod Point charger changes to green from blue but then cuts out and starts blinking red (or fault)??

It is as if the pod point charger is expecting the car to start drawing current for charging but the car is in sleep mode until the charge timer calls for charge.

In order to get the Pod Point working again I have to power down the pod point and unplug the car before powering back up again. The charger seems incompatible with the car charge timer function?

Anyone help on those?

By the way the EVSE brick works fine with the car timer.

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
We've had a Podpoint for a week (!) and also charge a Nissan Leaf - and we've seen the same problem. In fact I was going to start a thread on it a couple of days ago.

What we've seen is:

- Car charges fine on the timer from the EVSE, including setting an end time to finish (to 80% or 100% charge)

- We can plug the car into the PP and it will start fine to charge immediately, up to either 80% or 100%

- We can plug the car in with a timer delay, then override it from the Carwings website and it will start to charge ok

- Setting the car timer to use an *end* time doesn't work at all: it just won't start to charge, or starts and then cuts out

- Setting the car timer to have a *start* time does seem to work - we're using this at the moment whereas we always used to use the end time setting before

- We've never had to power cycle the PP

That's what we've found so far but we're still investigating it. It's definitely an interaction between the car timer and the PP somehow but not sure what it is as it seems to be the end timer setting only that causes the problem. I'm going to ask the installer if they've come across it as well.

Apart from this quirk we're very happy with them though, so much faster and more convenient to use.

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
Do you set a start time or an end time for the charging?

·
Registered
322 Posts
Usually just an end time. But it works in all situations described including just start time and start and end times being set.

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
Hmm, thanks. Going to investigate a little more.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
With our PP charger it simply won't accept the delayed charge at all. It seems ok on normal plug in and charge immediately. But the moment you try to use any combination of charge timers in the the car it trips out and I have to power down the charger. My girlfriend has another PP charger that does exactly the same. We have tried another car with the same result. Going to call PP now and see if they will help?

·
Registered
322 Posts
The common factor here seems to be the car, as this happens on more than one charge point. Have you tried a different brand of charge point or a public charge point? I can't see why the timer would make any difference if it functions fine without it, (surely the timer is just automating the pushing of the override button on the dash). Perhaps something is having time to cool down and a faulty part of the on board charger becomes apparent.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Spoke to PP and they logged on to the charger and updated the software. The system worked ok last night so crossed fingers going forward. It might just be me not being firm enough with the plug? I was told that sometimes a slightly corroded comms connection can cause the charger to trip out into fault.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Ironically this happened to me tonight. Plugged in with car on timer as normal and went into house. Thought it was weird when I got a charge reminder email which only usually comes if car not plugged in. Upon investigation the charger had tripped, flashing red. Power cycled it and reconnected and it seems fine now. I guess I'll know in the morning!! Will be checking blue dash lights from now on when plugging in.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The Pod point chargers seem to be far to sensertive to tripping when used with cars that have the 6.6kw charger on board. Does anyone have the same issues with the 3.3kw cars? Is this a capacitance problem with the biger chargers?

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
We've reverted to using the start timer instead of the end timer for now.

Still haven't got used to how fast it charges compared to the EVSE, it's all done by 3-4AM :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
I just had my Pod Point fitted yesterday morning.

Came home this evening and setup the start/end timers and am having the same issue.

It's only been one evening but it looks like...
  • Car will charge OK with no timers set or timer overridden
  • Car charged to 100% on timer overnight with only start timer set
  • If end timer is set then Pod Point goes to red (fault) as soon as you plug it in and has to be reset.
I have a 6.6kw Leaf.

Andy

·
Registered
13,466 Posts
I had a tethered Pod Point 7Kw fitted yesterday.
It is a 30Kw with a 6.6 onboard charger
I did not use the timer - 100% charge.
This morning the red light was on and the range on the car was 125miles.
As the fitter left me yesterday he said 'if the Red light come on, just switch the power/fuse off and on'. Obviously a known problem!
It did reset itself then, but I won't be doing that everyday!!:eek:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts