Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems the charger at Tebay services M6 is not working correctly. This charger used to operate at 70A and it now fluctuates between 53A and 61A. I think whoever owns this should investigate and repair please.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Have you phoned them and told them about the issue? If it's still working, apart from not as fast as it did before, they probably won't be aware there's a problem.

·
Banned
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I haven't mentioned it to them as I wasn't sure who actually owned the HPC. I also wasn't sure if there were any other mitigating circumstances around why it was misbehaving. My PEM was hot at 61 degrees and it looks like it was causing my car to request less current. However I have driven down to Kendal and my PEM temps have fallen and are stable at 53 degrees, the Ecotricity charger has been perfectly stable at 60A

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
It seems the charger at Tebay services M6 is not working correctly. This charger used to operate at 70A and it now fluctuates between 53A and 61A. I think whoever owns this should investigate and repair please.
Owned by Tesla Motors and on loan to Tebay... you could try contacting Tesla but I already know the response :(

·
Registered
621 Posts
I haven't mentioned it to them as I wasn't sure who actually owned the HPC. I also wasn't sure if there were any other mitigating circumstances around why it was misbehaving. My PEM was hot at 61 degrees and it looks like it was causing my car to request less current. However I have driven down to Kendal and my PEM temps have fallen and are stable at 53 degrees, the Ecotricity charger has been perfectly stable at 60A
I would be fairly confident that this was solely PEM related to be honest.
When I have had grim build up in my cooling fans from being stubborn and not servicing every 12,000 miles, I have had charging fluctuate below the rated max from the socket due to high PEM temps an that was when it was close to 60 degrees and only at a type 2 outlet pulling ~26 of a possible 32 amps.
The fans do clog up quite easily and after a service the PEM can run at a cool 25 - 30 degrees but pre service after a lot of miles can be up above 40 degrees during normal driving.
Also one time I had a pipe that was not connected quite correctly after a service and it went to 50 degrees within 10 minutes of each drive but got rectified immediately and then was ok...

So the basis of what I am saying is that if you let the car sit and cool for 10 mins and then plug in does it still limit or does it pull 70 and then drop down? That would be the test I would try next time you stop by...

Reactions: 855

·
Registered
621 Posts
And this thread is in the GM section because..
Haha, I hadn't noticed that!! Clearly very relevant to ampera drivers worried about the fast charging network for Roadster drivers...!

Reactions: Richard Gledhill

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
Also... isn't the result of that discussion that you should follow the service manual and get it serviced every 12000 miles so that the charging system and batteries don't overheat...?? Sounds like it's fluctuating because the charging system on the car's overheated due to poor maintenance (unless I misread??)

·
Registered
621 Posts
Also... isn't the result of that discussion that you should follow the service manual and get it serviced every 12000 miles so that the charging system and batteries don't overheat...?? Sounds like it's fluctuating because the charging system on the car's overheated due to poor maintenance (unless I misread??)
Yep you are correct that the service recommendation is every 12,000 miles. I am out of warranty though so that's why I extend it a bit as I'm tight! I can't comment in this particular situation as we haven't heard back from @(redacted) yet...

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
You spend £80k on a car and are out of warranty and then are too tight to service it on time!? Umm... :eek:

·
Registered
621 Posts
You spend £80k on a car and are out of warranty and then are too tight to service it on time!? Umm... :eek:
Well I make my decisions based on what I think is correct... I personally think servicing every 12,000 miles is solely down to the cooling fans and at £500 a time feel it's not all that necessary. So until I experience a loss in performance I don't want to service the car... Since the warranty expired I've run it for ~16,000 miles before servicing.
Also taking the car in every 4 to 5 months was frankly a pain in the backside when I used to live in Wales and 4 hours from the service centre. It meant a 10 hour round trip twice in 3 days to drop off and get the train home to then do the opposite to pick it up.

·
Banned
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My guess is that it could have been cause by my PEM being hot as I was driving fairly fast before I stopped to recharge and I should have let it cool first. I took the car down the motorway later and charged successfully at 60A at the Ecotricity charger without issue. Maybe another roadster driver should check before its reported. As for posting in the wrong place, sorry I did it in error as I was on my iphone

1 - 13 of 13 Posts