Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The Kona Premium SE will no longer attract the so called Luxury Car Tax because of changes announced in the Budget.

This applies to all EV’s (only) Registered after 1st April 2017, where the £40,000 purchase threshold previously applied.

The Plug In Grant also continues until 31st March 2023 (or until the £403 million allocated runs out - if sooner)!

·
Registered
537 Posts
The Kona Premium SE will no longer attract the so called Luxury Car Tax because of changes announced in the Budget.

This applies to all EV’s (only) Registered after 1st April 2017, where the £40,000 purchase threshold previously applied.

The Plug In Grant also continues until 31st March 2023 (or until the £403 million allocated runs out - if sooner)!
Thanks, buried in the small print?

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, buried in the small print?
I think that the announcement was buried, as I listened to the Speech and didn’t hear these facts mentioned.

Unable to provide link(s) but first picked up on the SpeakEV Tesla Model 3 site, where it is obviously more relevant, due to the complete range being above the threshold. That site has relevant links to two relevant Government Publications.

·
Life's too short to wait for a Kona .....
90 Posts
I can't see that, but I can see in Fleet News
"VEHICLE EXCISE DUTY (VED)
In addition, the Chancellor announced the removal of Vehicle Excise Duty (VED) for zero-emission cars with a list price exceeding £40,000, starting from April 2020."
and
"For cars first registered from April 6, 2020, most company car tax rates will be reduced by two percentage points, with a new zero percentage rate for pure electric vehicles (EVs). "

I would have thought whatever it is unlikely to be backdated to 2017 vehicles.

Also "
The CEO of Octopus Electric vehicles said “The benefit-in-kind rates dropping to zero for electric cars from April is a game-changer for EVs".

Update: The Gov.uk site says 2017 "This measure will exempt all registered zero-emission light passenger vehicles registered from 1 April 2017 until 31 March 2025 from the Vehicle Excise Duty (VED) supplement for light passenger vehicles with a list price exceeding £40,000, starting from April 2020. " so maybe you're right!

·
Registered
38 Posts
This is great news for me as I just ordered a Kona Premium se last Friday 6th delivery May 2020 in ceramic blue. Will say goodbye to my Sept 2018 Leaf and Nissan very poor maintenance/servicing.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Further to my comments @#1

It is now being reported that the Grant drops to £3k at midnight tonight and also from that time, the Grant will not apply to Cars costing more than £50k.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I've been mentally drafting a letter to my MP pointing out that I had to be very careful to avoid LCT on my e+ whereas anyone choosing even the highest possible spec of the qashqai (which some non-EVers might consider a 'superior' model) would get nowhere near it.

Good to know I don't have to bother actually writing it. Shame I didn't include the 'toy spare wheel kit' that would have pushed me into LCT territory and apparently can't be retro-fitted !

1 - 9 of 9 Posts