Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive had my e-golf for a month or so, and had a few motorway trips but mainly I’ve driven in London. What I really like about Bjorn Nyland‘s latest video is the full range of units available to drivers in Norway and apart from that the quality of the units is discussed.

Our new Lidl has a brand new podpoint charger with 43AC and CCS DC 50KW and it works well. But it displays zero information which could be useful. No speed, no amps or voltage but the app shows some info and the car itself shows an estimate.

Recently on the M1 we tried the Ecotricity at Toddington and it worked, although it felt dirty. One of the cables was missing, the parking bay lines were clearly wrong; I ended up parked facing the Costa and it was a filthy machine. The display had some details and I set it up in a few minutes. But I’d avoid it in future.

futher up, the Engenie at Lutterworth worked perfectly and we had lunch in the pub. But even this machine had next to no information.

at the hotel, a small Tesla 7kw worked perfectly and dosnt even try to display. In many ways this is the best one we found.

on the way back down we tried the Milton Keynes coach station hub. 3 polar CSS failed to start so we used the Ionity, and 2 out of 4 are out of order. the ionity has zero information on the display, apart from percentage state of charge. For that price you would think it would be able to say easily if we could go and get a coffee. Obviously we can work out the calculation but as the speed of charge varies i find this difficult to allow for. Did we get a good speed? Who knows?

so, i was wondering what people think the best charge machines are, and if there are actually any good machines in the UK - like lutterworth, but with a full data display and a nice pub. You’ve got 25 minutes? Or Ten? It makes a difference.

thoughts?

my brother is test driving the ford kuga hybrid for the battery. It’s a waste of time, it’s so slow to charge it feels like ford are laughing at their customers charging £35k for just 30 miles of EV. And we couldn’t work out how long we had.

·
Registered
593 Posts
The Ionity units should be displaying more than just % SoC. Should be getting time and kWh delivered at least.

Does the e Golf not show kW rate?

·
Registered
2016 Nissan LEAF SL
1,084 Posts
The new evolt chargers as commonly used by Electric Blue, Chargeplace Scotland, Engenie and a few others display lots of information quite neatly about your charge speed, time connected, power delivered, and your state of charge.

The Tritium chargers used by the latest Pod Point installs, as well as Instavolt also display a good amount of data including the charge rate. Especially the HPC models with the larger screens - But they annoyingly allow anyone to press stop and end your charge session.

In terms of older chargers the DBT models installed by Ecotricity, early Polar network and CYC as you saw also show this, but aren't great. The same goes for the SGTE chargers, and they come with the added free excitement of finding one still working in 2020 by some miracle.

They are very rare in the UK, but the new style DBT Chargers (with the touchscreen) are actually really nice. Probably my favorite charger. They seem to charge at a good rate, give a decent amount of information on screen, don't have tthe same reliability issues of the older models, Don't make much noise even when running full load for long periods, and don't seem to randomly freeze up or go out of service. I Think the full size units can even manage 2 vehicles at the same time. I'd be happy to see them pop up everywhere, but I think in the UK especially their reputation has been ruined at this point.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
1,971 Posts
Take a look at the new Kempower chargers TeslaBjorn has just done a video on.

I do like the "sprung" cables so they stay off the ground, but the best part is putting a QR code on the screen that's unique to your charging session.
This allows you to transfer the charger display to your phone so you can keep track as you wander off for a coffee.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Ionity units should be displaying more than just % SoC. Should be getting time and kWh delivered at least.

Does the e Golf not show kW rate?
no it only has a time remaining on the dashboard. The weconnect app has a mile range and remaining time.

ionity at MK only displays time and percentage added, so you can work out the added KW

·
Registered
182 Posts
no it only has a time remaining on the dashboard. The weconnect app has a mile range and remaining time.

ionity at MK only displays time and percentage added, so you can work out the added KW
Apologies for the terrible picture, but the Baldock ones show the percent charge, current rate and a couple of other things that I can't work out (maybe time connected and kWh added?)

·
Registered
2016 Nissan LEAF SL
1,084 Posts
Apologies for the terrible picture, but the Baldock ones show the percent charge, current rate and a couple of other things that I can't work out (maybe time connected and kWh added?)

View attachment 132794
That's the same info I've seen at the Skelton Lake Ionity chargers. They seemed to jump around for a while and then freeze and stop updating though. I think at one point I was close to a 10% discrepancy between the car and the charger info. So I'm not sure I'd fully rely on what it tells you

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looking on zap map that Skelton Lake Ionity is exactly what I’d love to use, but as standard kit rather than the older units on my more travelled routes. I suppose it’s the classic problem of first movers going out of date, much like our local broadband which was first in the UK in the mid 90s but now is substandard, arguably so since the mid-2000s. They’d have to dig up half the borough to replace it, but virgin will just charge full price regardless.

I’d definitely consider the A1 Baldock Ionity now though. Is there a coffee shop?

·
Registered
2016 Nissan LEAF SL
1,084 Posts
Looking on zap map that Skelton Lake Ionity is exactly what I’d love to use, but as standard kit rather than the older units on my more travelled routes. I suppose it’s the classic problem of first movers going out of date, much like our local broadband which was first in the UK in the mid 90s but now is substandard, arguably so since the mid-2000s. They’d have to dig up half the borough to replace it, but virgin will just charge full price regardless.

I’d definitely consider the A1 Baldock Ionity now though. Is there a coffee shop?
Both Skelton Lake and Baldock are service stations on major highways. There's plenty of options for coffee at both, and should be 24 hours a day.

Ionity is crazy expensive, often run slowly, and not hugely reliable. They definitely aren't very high on my list of preference for chargers.

·
Registered
106 Posts
A really lovely EV area is the Lake District - Booths supermarkets have all installed Instavolt fast chargers, 2-4 bays usually. Booths supermarkets are absolutely fantastic and have great cafes. The Instavolt chargers are all contactless, no contract and reliable. Stress free charging and a fantastic area to explore. Keswick, Kendle, Windermere, Penrith. Outside of Booths there are still loads and loads of chargers - just look at Zap map!

Reactions: Snax
1 - 11 of 11 Posts