Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

Can anybody with a FE Niro tell me if they are successfully scheduling a charge. Currently have a dumb home charger and looking to move to Octopus go, so want to charge in the overnight 4 hour window but will have to use the car to set times.

·
Registered
E-Niro 64kWh '4' since 9/20 (was Prius)
1,072 Posts
Can't answer your question but I can recommend you apply for the Octopus go faster tariff. That way you might like to ask for the 8:30pm cheap period for 3,4 or 5 hours. That way your evening house consumption can be included. A double win! Also, depending on your charging/sleeping needs you might be able to even do it manually? Peter

·
Registered
450 Posts
I did this pretty successfully before I moved house and replaced my Rolec with an ohme.

Make sure you have v location based charging turned off as it's flaky as all hell. The car would regularly decide it wasn't at home if it was 6" further across the drive than it was the night before...

As Peter said though look at go faster.

Sent using Tapatalk (I'm on my phone so sorry for any auto correct screwups)

·
Registered
611 Posts
Hello

Can anybody with a FE Niro tell me if they are successfully scheduling a charge. Currently have a dumb home charger and looking to move to Octopus go, so want to charge in the overnight 4 hour window but will have to use the car to set times.
Yes, I am. It is absolutely reliable too, as long as you don't select location specific charging. Let me know if you need help. And I am on Octopus Go Faster too.

·
Registered
Kia E Niro 4
448 Posts
I don't quite understand location charging, if I or the car decides to charge surely that is enough.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I think the idea is that you can set off-peak charging at home, enable location based charging & not have to hit the bypass button on public changes,

Or preset the car if you know a regular charging stop has v reduces capacity you can restrict the maximum current in that location (I think)

But it never seems to work as it seems the locations are tracked far too precisely.

Sent using Tapatalk (I'm on my phone so sorry for any auto correct screwups)

·
Registered
336 Posts
Just checked location based charging status on our FE. It is off. The car reliably charges 00:30-04:30 (Octopus Go) according to the car's schedule. Also, without altering any settings or any other action, it happily charges on a rapid charger at any time. I'm now leaving the max charge at 100% for both AC and DC, plugging in at home whenever the GOM gets down to around 100 miles -- adds around 23/24kWh in the 4 hours, i.e. another 100 miles-ish -- and ending any rapid DC charges manually as required.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Although I have the MY20 version 4, I think the most important thing is to make sure that you set the charger to ONLY charge between the times you have the cheapest electricity. If you set it to prioritise those times it never seems to do what I want it to. Additionally, it seems you have to set some departure time which can be quite fictitious. Those points apart it has always charged as intended.
It is a good suggestion to switch to Go Faster. If you are able to obtain the slot starting at 8.30 in the evening you can check the car has started charging before you go to bed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts