Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyone else got any features that don't usually get a mention?

2 examples I've found buried in the manual are:

Passenger side mirror dipping down in reverse (only when the mirror adjustment knob is set to passenger side)

Brake disc dirt build-up thru lack of use (to force the pads grip the disc and remove layer of dirt, drive along and when safe put e-tron into Neutral to disengage recuperation and this activates the normal braking system, pump the brakes a few times and back into D)

I'm not claiming to have discovered these functions, merely passing on in case people not spotted in the manual. Please add other useful tips. Thanks

·
Registered
202 Posts
A couple of things I picked up from my extended test drive and all the you-tube vids I have watched;
  • Turning off the haptic feedback on the screens makes the whole system a lot faster
  • You can move commonly pressed shortcuts from the MMI screen to the bar at the top of the HVAC screen
  • Setting the regen to 'Manual' and then adjusting with the paddles means your preferred level of regen doesn't cancel each time you press the brake
I'll hopefully have more when mine arrives. Audi Tracker suggests its going to build next monday!

Reactions: lsb777

·
Registered
Audi e-tron 50
5 Posts
  • The front seat belt clasps get lost down at the bottom of the belt when you put them on. There's a buckle that you can slide up to delay this from happening.
  • On "setting regen to 'Manual'" above... the manual refers to this as 'recuperation' and it's in the MMI under 'Car | Charging and Efficiency | Efficiency Assist' (p99). When you use the paddles, a little white mark appears on the power gauge in the 'charge' zone suggesting the level of recuperation you'll get when you lift off.
  • My car doesn't have adaptive speed (cruise) control but, with the recuperation set to 'Auto', the car does 'watch' cars in front and slow down for them. It won't do all of the slowing if they come to a stop but it works well if you're on a dual carriageway in (basic) cruise; when the lane gets clogged in front, push the cruise lever forward slightly to disengage cruise mode and the car should slow down based on traffic in front. When the lane clears, re-engage cruise and off you go. You have to practise this for yourselves to make sure it works!
  • Again, with recuperation in Auto, the car will sometimes slow down for junctions, roundabouts and bends (it is a bit inconsistent). When the car's doing this, if you brake or accelerate, it will stop being predictive and leave speed control to you.
  • On my first long journey in the car I was confused as to why sometimes the range indicator in the instrument cluster was red and sometimes it was grey. There didn't seem to be any reason why one moment it would be red (as if there was a cause for concern) and another in non-alarming grey. It turns out that it's red if it's selected - pressing the '<' and '>' buttons on the steering wheel selects between 'trip computer', 'faults' (if present), 'night vision' (if present), 'media', 'phone' and 'navigation' and each of these tabs has a different colour. Range (trip computer) is red. Thanks, Audi.

·
EV Convert
iPace HSE / 2019 and eTron 55 / 2020
681 Posts
Last tip explains something I wondered about, thank you!

·
Registered
Audi e-tron 50
5 Posts
Lightly touch or even just hover your finger above the headlight button to have the current settings pop up on the instrument cluster

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
  • The front seat belt clasps get lost down at the bottom of the belt when you put them on. There's a buckle that you can slide up to delay this from happening.
  • On "setting regen to 'Manual'" above... the manual refers to this as 'recuperation' and it's in the MMI under 'Car | Charging and Efficiency | Efficiency Assist' (p99). When you use the paddles, a little white mark appears on the power gauge in the 'charge' zone suggesting the level of recuperation you'll get when you lift off.
  • My car doesn't have adaptive speed (cruise) control but, with the recuperation set to 'Auto', the car does 'watch' cars in front and slow down for them. It won't do all of the slowing if they come to a stop but it works well if you're on a dual carriageway in (basic) cruise; when the lane gets clogged in front, push the cruise lever forward slightly to disengage cruise mode and the car should slow down based on traffic in front. When the lane clears, re-engage cruise and off you go. You have to practise this for yourselves to make sure it works!
  • Again, with recuperation in Auto, the car will sometimes slow down for junctions, roundabouts and bends (it is a bit inconsistent). When the car's doing this, if you brake or accelerate, it will stop being predictive and leave speed control to you.
  • On my first long journey in the car I was confused as to why sometimes the range indicator in the instrument cluster was red and sometimes it was grey. There didn't seem to be any reason why one moment it would be red (as if there was a cause for concern) and another in non-alarming grey. It turns out that it's red if it's selected - pressing the '<' and '>' buttons on the steering wheel selects between 'trip computer', 'faults' (if present), 'night vision' (if present), 'media', 'phone' and 'navigation' and each of these tabs has a different colour. Range (trip computer) is red. Thanks, Audi.
Hi. Good tips. I agree with the 3rd point as I have the basic 50 Technik and it does slow down a bit in traffic which helps. On the 4th point, mine definitely does this in drive select "Efficiency" mode and if you have the virtual cockpit set to Driver Assitance view (where it shows if you have lane guidance on etc), it will flash up roundabout, gradient etc and the foot off the gas icon.

·
Registered
Audi e-tron 50
5 Posts
Well, on the basis that 'green means go', probably, 'Yes!' Given that the car's doing most of the heavy lifting, take your eyes off the road, switch Drive Select to dynamic, floor it and let us know how you get on.

·
Registered
Audi e-tron 50
5 Posts
The 360° camera option on my S line achieves all of its clever all round, overhead and 3D view (GTA mode) simulations from just four cameras. One in the middle of the front grill, one just to the right of the tailgate release and one on the underside of each door mirror.
When the car's dirty, the pictures from the cameras degrade. It's handy to know where they are as a quick manual wipe of the lenses restores the views.
The rear camera has a spray wash function but it takes a while to prime. You can wash it by selecting a specific cleaning function from the MMI ('...' then 'Clean reversing camera') but it's likely you'll have to do this quite a few times. A quicker way is to wash the rear screen; the camera will be washed at the same time. Again, sadly, the rear screen wash takes a short while to prime but the wiper starts straightaway so, over time, the rear screen will be scratched. That's a shame; it didn't have to be that way.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts